E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Why do people cycle on busy streets?

02-17-2023, 07:34 AM   #45
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
There was recently a guy in Dana Point who was killed doing it...he was cycling down the busy PCH and he was ran over.

I don't necessarily think they're stupid but it seems like a lot of cyclists do it to make a point and piss drivers off. They think just because there's a bike lane - they should be entitled to the road.

They don't realize they are clogging up traffic and preventing people from getting to work while they can exercise. It's selfish and I don't understand who invented 'share the road' anyways when people have places to be?
I think "share the road" makes sense. The problem is many cyclists and people walking take that saying to mean "share the road with me, but I don't have to share it with you". Sharing the road should mean being cognizant of your surroundings and the other people on the road, not just expecting them to go around you because you have the right of way and can do whatever you want. If I'm walking my dog on my street and cars are approaching, I move onto the grass to ensure they have plenty of room.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15762.50
ASAP10162.50
      02-17-2023, 07:58 AM   #46
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Some of you mention not trusting even walking on the footpath. If i am standing at an intersection I always stand behind an electrical pole to keep something between myself and the traffic. Most drivers are on another planet and not focused.
Same. I also find some pedestrians are clueless and unaware of their lack of safety. They'll stand right on the corner with their toes hanging over the curb, with headphones on and hoodie up, just waiting to jump as soon as the walk symbol lights up, without looking left or right.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 08:15 AM   #47
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
Same. I also find some pedestrians are clueless and unaware of their lack of safety. They'll stand right on the corner with their toes hanging over the curb, with headphones on and hoodie up, just waiting to jump as soon as the walk symbol lights up, without looking left or right.
I haven't had many issues with cars or people as long as I ride like I'm invisible.

In 40 years of riding most of my close calls have been with dogs. I keep an air horn to give me a little lead time but some of those canines are faster than me
      02-17-2023, 08:21 AM   #48
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Some people think a green light means “it’s green, no matter what, it is my turn and everyone will stop.”
I have seen cars run red lights, and not like oops I’ll take this red light at 15mph. I’m talking about 50+mph. I look both ways when stopped and going into an intersection. Trusting other drivers in your own cage is plenty enough, trusting them when you’re on a tiny bike frame is wild.
Appreciate 2
Th3Walrus340.50
UncleWede18031.00
      02-17-2023, 09:05 AM   #49
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
Some people think a green light means “it’s green, no matter what, it is my turn and everyone will stop.”
I have seen cars run red lights, and not like oops I’ll take this red light at 15mph. I’m talking about 50+mph. I look both ways when stopped and going into an intersection. Trusting other drivers in your own cage is plenty enough, trusting them when you’re on a tiny bike frame is wild.
One thing I've seen a lot more of recently which scares the shit out of me is 18 wheelers blowing red lights. Professional drivers my ass.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 10:42 AM   #50
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
This thread is nuts! Have some tolerance, people. Live and let live (literally and figuratively).
We are TRYING to get them to choose life!! They insist on trying their best to die though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Or the entitlement I'm seeing on here. If you're so bent out of shape about a law you feel is so unjust, then do something about it instead of whining on the Internet.
Hey now!!! Let's not get crazy. You are undermining the entire existence of the OT!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 11:09 AM   #51
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
One thing I've seen a lot more of recently which scares the shit out of me is 18 wheelers blowing red lights. Professional drivers my ass.
I’ve noticed that too. They just blare their horn to warn others and think it’s ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 11:27 AM   #52
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
That's the same here in Ontario, Canada EXCEPT bikes are not allowed on sidewalks (walkways) unless you are a child. Adults must ride on the road. Bikes are not allowed on controlled access highways.
Try to enforce something like that in the USA and you will see a lot of new fights with people yelling "worldstar" in the background. lol
      02-17-2023, 11:51 AM   #53
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Because, well, they're entitled.
Entitled by law.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 03:47 PM   #54
jsfbox
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31

To get somewhere? Why to people drive?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 04:55 PM   #55
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Folks have the right to ride a bicycle on city streets and even some or most highways. I don't mind much as long as they obey the traffic rules.

As to risk, yes, I think riding a bicycle near cars and trucks it can be risky, but that is the bicyclist's choice. I used to ride a bicycle daily, but no more. Times have changed, including a surge in distracted drivers.

Having said that, I just learned that a former co-worker and avid bicyclist recently suffered his 3rd serious bicycle accident and is now in a senior care facility. Head injury.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 06:12 PM   #56
Sherrie_goff
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6

Or is all about life style and fun derived in doing so, who knows...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 08:53 PM   #57
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Well our town has a good solution. Let kids drive around on golf carts and expect them to obey traffic rules because kids with no driver ed are really good at following rules no one taught them, as well as judging how fast a car going 40 mph is approaching. Now we worry a lot less comparatively about cyclists who block traffic and don’t follow traffic rules. Most of the cyclists around here seem to have sponsors based in their attire so we probably have a better class of cyclists anyway.
      02-23-2023, 02:41 PM   #58
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Inconsiderate Clowns.

I'm all for exercising and even biking. But NOT on busy streets or impeding the flow of traffic, ever.
Not to mention... With the sheer amount of "distracted drivers" these days, simply stupid.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 02:50 PM   #59
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

It's obvious to the observer that they must have a death wish; although the biker may not be aware of it until he/she becomes a casualty.
Appreciate 1
Tyga113235.50
      02-24-2023, 01:18 PM   #60
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
There must be something in the water... drove home last night at around 8pm. Dark, windy, and slightly raining. Come around a corner a few roads over from mine and there is a guy riding his bike on the yellow line, wearing dark clothing, no lights or anything.

Appreciate 0