E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Are you healthy?

07-16-2014, 05:29 AM   #67
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I will, however, post lots of photos of me racing bikes.
Please do!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #68
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
lol...

Hitting the gym helps me relieve stress as well.

Some may see it as a waste, I see it as a psychological AND physical development time. Exercise and the endorphins released from it are one of the best natural highs you can get.

And manual labor doesn't replace a good portion of the exercises you can do at a gym.
      07-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #69
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
If it was overpriced it surely wasn't a Fitness19. I pay $5 a month for an all-club membership. It started at $15 (..still extremely affordable), and with every referral they subtract $1 until you reach the minimum of $5. There are loads of locations here in Southern California. I used to be a trainer part-time at 24HourFitness back in the day, and I'm just over the corporate social club gyms.
Yeah from what Stealth found, the one I got an ad for wasn't Fitness19. Although, the one he found in Cary is only about 20/30 minutes away, so it might be worth it to get myself and my SO there. I just don't feel like paying $100 for the two of us, so if it's $15 a month, that would be worth it. Thanks for your suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Thanks! The one in Cary isn't too far off, so that may be worth checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I agree for the most part. Glad my apt offers a very nice and modern gym. It actually helps me a lot to keep a somewhat consistent workout schedule. If I had to drive to a location to workout, I probably wouldn't do it.
Honestly, the last thing I want to do to workout, is have to drive to the gym, then drive home after I'm beat to hell. The convenience of having one here at the plant allows me to workout on my own time, and still leave here by 3pm just about every day. Makes it completely worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #70
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
And manual labor doesn't replace a good portion of the exercises you can do at a gym.
While true in some ways (strength, etc), it can certainly make a difference in your overall health. My brother was probably 50lbs overweight when he bacame a UPS driver. He dropped 30+lbs in a matter of weeks. He got promoted about 6 months ago and the pounds came right back.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #71
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
While true in some ways (strength, etc), it can certainly make a difference in your overall health. My brother was probably 50lbs overweight when he bacame a UPS driver. He dropped 30+lbs in a matter of weeks. He got promoted about 6 months ago and the pounds came right back.
True, inactivity at work can definitely have negative effects. But it depends on what type of manual labor we're talking. And how many people here (who can afford BMW's) are really doing THAT much manual labor in their jobs? I doubt very many.

Scrawny people drop dead from heart disease too... There can be quite a difference between appearing healthy and actually being healthy.
      07-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #72
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Manual labor at work, in my opinion, will develop you and make you good at THOSE movements and develop THOSE specific muscle groups. It can not replace the gym which will give you an (assuming you're doing it properly) overall balanced physique and level of fitness. If anyone can find one example of a job that uses you're entire body in this way does not matter. One outlier does not disprove this point which is true for the most of the population and the manual labor jobs they hold.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #73
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Hitting the gym helps me relieve stress as well.

Bingo. This is one of the reasons I enjoy hitting the gym.
      07-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #74
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Just a few for you @954Stealth
I don't want to litter this thread with track pics. I also threw in a 295 lb. front squat which I'll remove shortly (...I've gone as heavy as 325 lbs. for 2 reps), a heavy bench (..350 lbs.; 1RM is 360 lbs.) and a heavy dead lift (..455 lbs.; 1RM is 500 lbs.) photo. I am 5'10", 190 lbs. today. That latter 3 I will remove shortly.

On topic....

....I totally forgot about the psychological, stress relieving benefits of the gym. Good catch fellas!

Drifting the bike into the corner (..so much friggin' fun)....

Attached Images

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 07-16-2014 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #75
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just a couple for you @954Stealth
I don't want to litter this thread with track pics. I also threw in a 295 lb. front squat which I'll remove shortly (...I've gone as heavy as 325 lbs. for 2 reps), a heavy bench and a heavy dead lift photo. That latter 3 I will remove shortly.

On topic....

....I totally forgot about the psychological, stress relieving benefits of the gym. Good catch fellas!
Beast!
Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #76
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

ITT: Sedan Clan is ripped.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #77
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Wait, there's a correlation of volume of sperm in ejaculations and health? lol
Hells yea!
      07-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #78
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Come on man, looks like that chump behind you is struggling on the bench, couldn't even lend the little guy a hand?!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #79
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Is this a thread for thirty somethings? I think I am healthy but I had stage 3b colon cancer and I before that I also thought I was healthy. Here are before and after pictures. The fist one is from a trip to Cancun in the summer of 2005 a year before the onset of the cancer when I was 49. The second was taken in April out in the front yard. I have always exercised, ran, played basketball, lifted weights. I beat the cancer but it has had a deep impact on my guts and my physical condition after. I don't have much stamina anymore and haven't been able to rebuild it but I have been able to rebuild some of my bulk strength through weightlifting. I played bball for a few years after the surgery but quit at 54 to start tennis. So now I play tennis, lift weghts and do yoga. I think I am healthy at 58.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #80
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

That looks like one BUSY gym mate...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #81
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Come on man, looks like that chump behind you is struggling on the bench, couldn't even lend the little guy a hand?!
No one wants to be that guy and it's why people give up gym memberships. You have to start somewhere and at least his buddy is also equally wimpy so hopefully they stick with it. Not everyone has or can develop a great body like Sedan_Clan.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #82
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
No one wants to be that guy and it's why people give up gym memberships. You have to start somewhere and at least his buddy is also equally wimpy so hopefully they stick with it. Not everyone has or can develop a great body like Sedan_Clan.
It was meant as a joke as I stated earlier that I am 5'8'' and 135lbs.

Trust me, I was in that starting point for a long time. Took me about 2 years to finally be where I'm at, and I'm still not nearly satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #83
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It was meant as a joke as I stated earlier that I am 5'8'' and 135lbs.

Trust me, I was in that starting point for a long time. Took me about 2 years to finally be where I'm at, and I'm still not nearly satisfied.
Plenty of guys your size lifting in my gym and doing heavy weights for their size, same true of the skinny guys in the picture.

I lift for tone and to get a good thirty minute workout and then I hit the sauna and do some Yoga for another 15 minutes.

Here is a typical 30 minute workout for me.

5 reps bench 185
10 deadlift dips with 55lb on each hand
5 reps bench 185
10 curls with 35 on each hand
5 reps bench 185
10 deadlift dips with 60lb on each hand
5 reps bench 185
10 deadlift dips with 60lb on each hand
5 reps bench 175
10 lateral raise with 15lb each hand
5 reps bench 175
25 inclined bench situps
5 reps bench 175
10 inclined bench 55lb each hand
7 reps bench 155
10 deadlift dips with 55lbs each hand
5 reps bench 155
10 curls 32.5 lb each hand
7 bench 135
10 deadlift dips 50lb each hand
5 bench 135
25 inclined situps

I get all that done in 1/2 hour and my heart rate is fairly high. On alternate days I have a different set that has no bench but instead has sitting military press and inclined bench instead. The deadlift dips are killer for your heartrate, also the farmer walk with 75lb in each hand gets the heart going too. Of course different people will use different weights but I weigh 190 so those weights I list are commensurate with my build and weight. I am not a weight lifter or body builder but I like weight training the way I do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #84
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is this a thread for thirty somethings? I think I am healthy but I had stage 3b colon cancer and I before that I also thought I was healthy. Here are before and after pictures. The fist one is from a trip to Cancun in the summer of 2005 a year before the onset of the cancer when I was 49. The second was taken in April out in the front yard. I have always exercised, ran, played basketball, lifted weights. I beat the cancer but it has had a deep impact on my guts and my physical condition after. I don't have much stamina anymore and haven't been able to rebuild it but I have been able to rebuild some of my bulk strength through weightlifting. I played bball for a few years after the surgery but quit at 54 to start tennis. So now I play tennis, lift weghts and do yoga. I think I am healthy at 58.
Congrats on beating the cancer!

@Sedan_Clan The dude next to you deadlifting needs to add some weight to that bar I think.... and lol at the bench guy unless he's at the end of a "work to failure" dropset. (thanks @billup for pointing that out...made me chuckle)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #85
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Plenty of guys your size lifting in my gym and doing heavy weights for their size, same true of the skinny guys in the picture.

I lift for tone and to get a good thirty minute workout and then I hit the sauna and do some Yoga for another 15 minutes.
I was a bar lifter for a while. It sucks, I got picked on, but that's life, put up or shut up. Giving up bettering yourself because of other people just makes you weaker.

My workouts each day are roughly 45 minutes, every day is different but I do focus a lot on my torso and arms, but I do have leg days and such. I don't typically max myself out, much like you, I lift comfortably for tone and...., well..., exercise.

I actually really want to get into yoga. For two reasons.
One, it looks challenging.
Two, women.

edit: I'd also like to congratulate you on beating cancer. You seem to be in great shape for an older gent. Keep it up! (Tennis is also one of my favorite exercise activities outside of weights).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #86
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Congrats on beating the cancer!
Thanks! It's an accomplishment of mind and body IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #87
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was a bar lifter for a while. It sucks, I got picked on, but that's life, put up or shut up. Giving up bettering yourself because of other people just makes you weaker.
Exactly, you do it for you.

Quote:
My workouts each day are roughly 45 minutes, every day is different but I do focus a lot on my torso and arms, but I do have leg days and such. I don't typically max myself out, much like you, I lift comfortably for tone and...., well..., exercise.

I actually really want to get into yoga. For two reasons.
One, it looks challenging.
Two, women.

Yeah, I don't go to the yoga classes, I just do it on my own and it's interesting how good it makes you feel.

Quote:
edit: I'd also like to congratulate you on beating cancer. You seem to be in great shape for an older gent. Keep it up! (Tennis is also one of my favorite exercise activities outside of weights).
Thanks also!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #88
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Looking very good. Congrats on surviving the cancer .