E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Filter talk

07-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Filter talk

What type and brand filters does everyone use?

I've got your typical UV filters, a circular polarized, and a blue/gold circular polarized. I've gotten by in the past with the cir polarized to pick up a stop or two in bright sun when i wanted a longer exposure, but i think i'm picking up amy first ND filter.

I think i've settled on Breakthrough Photography's x3 1.8 (6 stop) filter. Anyone have experience with this? I've read several good reviews and i've only used Hoya & Singh-ray filters thus far.
      09-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

i use the lee filter system. big stopper, little stopper, soft GND set
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
bradleym
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 SS/BK DCT

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
no UV/Haze filters -- waste of money.

B&W circular polarizers, neutral density.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I had ordered a BTP x3 6stop ND filter and had hoped to take it with me on my last trip. There was a delay in production and it was evident it wouldn't be here before my departure. Because of that, i hastily chose a replacement filter. Knowing Singh Ray is based out of FL and not being able to decide on which level of ND filter to buy, i purchased a Variable ND filter from them. It arrived quickly and i was able to take it with me. Unfortunately, i was un aware of it's shortcomings with regards to vignetting when using a wide lens. Because of this, a 2 - 14 stop filter is only good up to about 6, maybe 8 stops. In day light at F22 this only allowed for 4 to 10 second exposures which wasn't slow enough for the effects i was going for.

I decided to keep the order for the BTP 6 stop filter thinking that i could stack it on the variable ND which should allow for 30 second exposures in bright daylight. So now i have 2 ND filters in 77mm and i just upgraded my most used lens which will now require 82mm filters. ugh....

So i've ordered a BTP x3 10stop ND filter. I figure that should handle most situations and when looking for longer exposures in the evening or dawn, i can utilize a cir polarized filter to gain a few stops. Which i'll also have to repurchase because outside of the newest ND filter, ALL my other filters are 77mm.

I guess most people are used to having different sized filters and i was just probably spoiled by having all of my lenses use the same size filters for the last 10 years. Oh well, i guess i can use the filter size issue as a justification for upgrading my other 2 lenses.
      09-28-2015, 11:32 PM   #5
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
I just have a Hoya UV filter as part of a package on the 18-35mm STM II lenses that came with my camera until I can fund this addictive yet expensive habit .
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

B+W filters. Because putting a $60 filter on a $2k lens seems pointless. Why degrade high end glass with a cheap filter?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I stopped using UV/Haze filters a long time ago in favor of less crap in front of lens. However sometimes they are still useful; I'm thinking near water spray they can act as a buffer over the lens if you quickly want to set up, take it off, and shoot, the spray is all on the filter and not your lens. Also I have dropped a lens once that did get saved by the fact that the UV filter cracked But instead I am just more careful these days, haha.

For my GND's I have 4 various Singh-Ray 4x6 rectangular GND's (these go with the Lee filter holder) but I am not happy with them, due to the heavy magenta cast they create when stacked. I used to think it was cool when I first got them and over time just grew tired of the cast. It's really hard / nearly impossible to correct it in PP, also.

I use a Fotodiox 155mm CPL with my TS-E 17 but that is a special lens and special filter for it, as well as a 6x9" Fotodiox 0.9 GND filter that stacks over the CPL. It has a very minor magenta cast, and I imagine that if I had 2 or 3 of these, the effect would be much worse.

I still have a bunch of filters from my film days that have become obsolete with digital photography, like FL-D filters, which are mostly just relics for display at this point

Generally speaking, I find myself using the CPL and GND's more than anything else. I also like ND filters which help with contrast and to lower shutter speeds when there is a lot of light out.

I do want to get a 10-stop ND filter for that silky-smooth water effect, and for long exposures in general during daylight and/or ample golden hour light.

And, I still want to find a brand of square/rectangular GND filters that don't produce a magenta cast. That would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #8
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 d,2008 335i, 2000 740i

I was thinking of going to Lee for the GND so I don't have to have a bunch of different sizes and the ability to adjust the GND vs a circular one. Otherwise I use B&W MC
2000 740i-Annalisa (sold 2018) 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC 2012 X5d in Sparkling Bronze ( The Ultimate Cat Carrying Machine)-RIP BMW buyback 2019:2017 A3, 2018 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
B+W filters. Because putting a $60 filter on a $2k lens seems pointless. Why degrade high end glass with a cheap filter?
^ I second this.