E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW's "New Class" May Include 6 Series Coupe & Supercar (interview / BMW CTO)

01-30-2022, 06:46 AM   #1
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
BMW's "New Class" May Include 6 Series Coupe & Supercar (interview / BMW CTO)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The BMW CTO Frank Weber speaks up

"The fully-electric New Class has got what it takes to father a highly emotional addition to our portfolio"

There is one more generation of combustion engines under way, but BMW's clear emphasis is on highly efficient and fully-digitalised electric vehicles (EVs), according to a company exec.

Asked to name a sell-by date for combustion engines, Frank Weber, BMW board member in charge of engineering, answers like a shot: "Wrong question! Before we can discuss an exit scenario, the alternative energy chain must be fully functioning.

"By that I mean the charging infrastructure, green electricity and globally-sustainable raw materials. Right now, we're still in the midst of the transition phase. That's why BMW will this year launch a new engine generation in the 7 Series replacement.

"After all, it is our goal to offer a wide choice of modern, clean and efficient drivetrain technologies. But the prime focus of the R&D team is of course on state-of-the-art EV applications, which will one day replace the petrol and diesel engines."

Boasting plenty of innovations such as pre-heated catalysts and a pre-chamber ignition system, these internal-combustion engines (ICE) meet the stringent Euro 7 emission norm due to be implemented in 2025. What Weber did not mention was the strategic need to keep a bunch of different irons in the fire to meet the world market's increasingly in-homogenous requirements.

One moment the CTO is talking about the next 7 Series and the i7, which he describes as the only true emission-free luxury saloon, while a mere blink of an eye later Frank Weber is ready to take a deep dive into the future – where he must face challenges like edge computing, disruption screening, Deeptech, circular economy, on-demand assembly, you name it.

After all, the character of the motor car is rapidly changing from a personal transportation appliance to a multi-functional tool in the user's progressively more digital, fully-connected world.

In this time-warp process, classic values like performance and driving pleasure are complemented (or even sidelined) by an emphasis on social acceptance and breakthrough IT-based features – the catchphrase 'mobility as a service' comes to mind.

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, BMW enhanced the ongoing development of its personalised 24/7 mobility concept with an on-demand change of body colour at the push of a button, a second-row theatre screen which unfolds from the ceiling, and an exclusive lounge ambience as a foretaste to autonomous driving.

"The digital revolution calls for extended know-how and the ability to synchronise the fast pace of the IT sector with the processes of the car industry," says Weber.

BMW intends to rethink the car, but not to reinvent it – evolution instead of revolution is the name of the game. The key common denominator for present and future is the highly-flexible production network which will undergo major adjustments to qualify for the electric era.

The first factory designed to cater exclusively for the new needs will take up operation in Debrecen, Hungary, in 2024. Home of the New Class, this high-output facility is to assemble the next X3 codenamed NA0 and the 3 Series replacement, dubbed NA5.

Since EVs have, as a rule, a lower parts count – and need fewer work cycles which require less floor space, BMW believes they will eventually be cheaper to build than the notably more complex current breed.

But how can one single DNA – new New Class – cover the entire model range from the humble 1 Series to the heavyweight X7? "Clever packaging is key," knows the man in charge.

"From the start, it is essential to ensure maximum space for the batteries. We developed a scalable set of modules housing different types of cells from range-oriented to performance-focused. Done right, this gene pool fits the entire line-up including the sporty M models."

The New Class takes an even more radical route than the derivative i4 and the commendably advanced iX, which shows what can be done when the engineers start with a clean sheet of paper.

But it's not just the architecture which defines the performance of a new EV. Other important innovation drivers, allegedly unique to BMW, are; a pioneering solid state battery, a patented fully integrated inverter, bespoke performance electronics and a bunch of SSM e-motors designed and built in-house.

Frank Weber knows the details: "Advantages of our current-excited synchronous machines include; high performance density, a very strong and stable peak performance, high repeatability, low noise emission and an excellent efficiency quotient of 97 per cent."

So why does the competition still favour the supposedly inferior ASM and PSM principles? "Because right now, only BMW has come to grips with the challenging manufacturing technology."

The winding road to electrification, digitalisation and autonomous driving never seems to stop draining resources, which in turn forces the industry to economise wherever possible.

BMW, too, must reduce proliferation and complexity, cut or bundle options, scale back the drivetrain variety, discontinue niche models, alter the mix by boosting higher-margin products and open up new digital business areas.

While the demand for coupés and convertibles continues to slacken, SUVs and crossovers remain a licence to print money – which is why all X models from iX1 to iX7, including coupés and M derivatives, will be electrified in relatively rapid succession.

At the same time, the Munich grapevine tells us that the 4 Series and 8 Series are going to merge as reimagined 6 Series in 2026. The only likely survivor is the 8 Series Gran Coupé, which becomes part of the future 7 Series family, sources say.

What's still missing is a fresh halo car along the lines of icons like M1, Z1, Z8 or i8.

"Wrong," quips Frank Weber. "We have no trouble at all picturing a highly-emotional model based on the New Class matrix." The rumour mill has indeed pedalled for some time a new 1MW (that's 1000kW or 1360bhp in old money) supercar, which may emerge as the ultimate M4 successor.

At the International Motor Show in Germany, BMW displayed the i Vision Circular concept, a fully-recyclable Mini-size hatchback heralded by some as the future i3.

Not true – a new megacity vehicle is currently nowhere in sight. But this should not stop us from pointing out the show car's three main messages: the full-circle CO2-neutral material cycle from cradle to grave, the pending demise of the controversial upright rodent fangs grille in favour of a butterfly kidney, and the new brand strategy, which is set to shape future products more from the inside out.

Tomorrow's cockpit should, in other words, become a reduced-to-the-max quiet zone, the days of the ceaseless digital distraction attacks are hopefully numbered, and the car's new mission as personalised cocoon is paving the way for relaxed hands-off motoring.

As far as the BMW radiator theme goes, we expect wider trapezoid shapes, a broader range of proportions, as well as more adventurous surfaces and colour-coding. After the X2, the XM is only the second purveyor of the new family face, but its extreme front-end graphics will thankfully not be repeated by the mainstream 5 Series replacement.

Although the automobile is getting more complex by the day, the product as such has no longer the undivided attention of the CTO, who can in his sleep bend metal, tune a chassis and make drivetrains deliver.

What keeps Frank Weber on his toes instead is the bigger picture, the multiple grey zones which need exploring, the ever-changing legislation hurdles, the diverging customer preferences, the mushrooming digital must-haves and the need to be fully competitive in areas which did not even exist last time we looked.

For one brief moment, the CTO lets us catch a glimpse of his to-do list: "In terms of infotainment, we must bring the advanced IT content Chinese customers are taking for granted to Europe ASAP. In terms of connectivity, BMW must lose no time catching up with the very best.

"We must also respond quickly to new players even outside this industry, speed up the integration of apps, and swiftly create new digital business models. At the same time, it is imperative to boost the computing power, warrant maximum IT security and offer extended functions at cost through over-the-air updates."

According to Herr Weber, a BMW typically has four lives. When the warranty expires after three years, all essential functionalities should still be intact. The next three-year period is much more critical, not necessarily due to extended wear and tear, but because the technology advances with rapid strides.

BMW intends to close this ability gap by offering attractive bespoke over-the-air (OTA) improvements. Cars that are six years old or older tend to suffer from increasingly obvious hardware deficits like the missed step from LED to matrix headlights, the arrival of new assistance systems which cannot be retrofitted, or enhanced in-car entertainment items like full-width cinema displays.

When the battery, which typically carries an eight-year warranty, needs replacing, two out of three EVs have reached the end of the road. Since a new power bank is a major investment, most gutless high-mileage specimens with an obvious TLC deficit head straight for the recycling yard.

The New Class arrives too early to answer the crucial cell-to-package or cell-to-chassis question. Whereas Nio-style battery swapping is not an option, the type of integration remains a controversial hot topic.

Mid-term, BMW is allegedly favouring a closed-circuit concept, which packs the cells, the cooling system and the related crash protection elements into one strong central underfloor module.

Short-term, however, the focus is on evolutions of the scalable multi-level skateboard platform, which can accommodate special features like; a rear foot garage (a cutout in the floorpan designed to keep the H-point low), a beefier double-decker battery tray for SUVs and crossovers, and a dynamic master control unit, which selectively distributes the torque to all four-wheels.

According to those in the know, the most extreme New Class BMW has a motor at each corner and can be fully charged in under five minutes. Looks like the comeback of the 'ultimate driving machine' is almost a done deal.[/quote]

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/the...eber-speaks-up

Name:  bmw-P90392573_highRes_frank-weber-member-o.jpg
Views: 5433
Size:  114.3 KB
Appreciate 7
atl_1M1520.00
stein_325i25083.00
Nahlem1144.00
AlexFL7837.00
ghaffari461128.00
yousefnjr6159.00
      02-01-2022, 07:09 AM   #2
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
"According to those in the know, the most extreme New Class BMW has a motor at each corner and can be fully charged in under five minutes"

When this comes!!

Now BMW put the best brains in house on it and make it happen! The faster the better.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 07:13 AM   #3
playswcars
///M-Thusiast
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 M50i

Garage List
"In terms of infotainment, we must bring the advanced IT content Chinese customers are taking for granted to Europe ASAP"

Please god spare me from Chinese IT in my M car..

Past: G80 M3x, G80 M3, G05 X5, F82 M4, F87 M2C, F20 M140i
Appreciate 7
siegester344.50
ChrisM41626.00
zdbmw46.00
cbertels1215.50
A6bullet337.00
      02-01-2022, 07:38 AM   #4
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Electric motor at each corner was something Porsche did over 100-years ago.

Where are our flying cars we've been promised for the last 50-years?
Appreciate 4
siegester344.50
GOLFFRR10816.50
F87EVO4033.00
530iDriver1707.50
      02-01-2022, 07:45 AM   #5
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post

Well its like the continues running joke about fusion power, its always 50 years away....... So .... In another 50 years

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 2
siegester344.50
F87EVO4033.00
      02-01-2022, 08:03 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

how long have we heard super car??? if you are going to make one, make one. i8 although super awesome is not a super car. Sooooo lets hope they actually do make one! That would be awesome to see what they come up with

also I would like to see BMW look into a super charger network sort of like tesla has. The DC chargers seem to be way behind when it comes to tesla. I think the biggest advantage of tesla is having that super charger network and the speed of the charges. Yes DC chargers are all over the place but the speed is not as high for the most part (causing longer wait times/charge times) and the stations usually avg 2-4 charge stations so when you roll up on one you could be waiting for a while.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #7
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
"In this time-warp process, classic values like performance and driving pleasure are complemented (or even sidelined) by an emphasis on social acceptance and breakthrough IT-based features – the catchphrase 'mobility as a service' comes to mind."

Emphasis on social acceptance? What does that even mean? Half of this article is like reading a word salad.
DavidXJ663.00
rjd_F301999.50
KoenG1428.50
      02-01-2022, 08:11 AM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post

lol yea where are the flying cars!!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #9
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Should have never gotten rid of the 6 series to be begin with…
Appreciate 2
Teutonic2709.00
Frosty780.00
      02-01-2022, 08:49 AM   #10
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Yep, current 8 should have been the 6 (coupe and convertible) and they could have made gran coupe the 8 series if they really wanted that number to be filled (length wise it makes sense).
Appreciate 2
mikerx5461.00
Remonster824.00
      02-01-2022, 09:04 AM   #11
fotontom
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i E82 M-Sport, 528i F10

Nice article, but lots of gaps as other comments are showing. Especially glad to hear the reduced proliferation of models! Also, good recent news (through BMWCCA) was an indication of the development of a new generation of 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder combustion engines. This fits well with Weber's comment, "Before we can discuss an exit scenario, the alternative energy chain must be fully functioning." This realization will depend on strong initiatives, yet to be determined, from the private sector and public sector. And we all know how capricious promises from those sources can be.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #12
ferasjamshed@gmail.com
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E46

purists will complain about the death of the 4 BUT cmon, the 4 and the 8 are super similar in size, so something in between wouldn't be a huge change. yes it's sad to see the iconic nameplate die, but its basically the same thing. Also, i really hope the next 6 is inspired by the E24 but i heavily doubt that.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #13
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Yep, current 8 should have been the 6 (coupe and convertible) and they could have made gran coupe the 8 series if they really wanted that number to be filled (length wise it makes sense).
Bingo.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #14
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Looks fast
      02-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #15
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswcars View Post
"In terms of infotainment, we must bring the advanced IT content Chinese customers are taking for granted to Europe ASAP"

Please god spare me from Chinese IT in my M car..
that and semiconductors... and raw material mines for batteries, all benefiting the same one.

I hope EVs move away from BEVs asap...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #16
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferasjamshed@gmail.com View Post
purists will complain about the death of the 4 BUT cmon, the 4 and the 8 are super similar in size, so something in between wouldn't be a huge change. yes it's sad to see the iconic nameplate die, but its basically the same thing. Also, i really hope the next 6 is inspired by the E24 but i heavily doubt that.
The 4-Series has only been out for 8 years, not sure if it qualifies as an "iconic nameplate". If anything more people (and definitely all the purists) complained about the "loss" of the 3-Series/M3 coupe and convertible when it became the 4 (with "loss" in quotes since it wasn't even gone, just renamed).

I am curious if they're going to miss a part of the market by lumping the 4 and 8 into a 6. The 2-Series coupe overlaps the 4 enough that they could probably do away with the 4, but there's no 2-Series convertible to replace the 4, and it's a big step up to a 6/8. I also don't know if M4 coupe buyers will accept an M2 as a replacement (and they definitely wouldn't look to an M6 unless it was more like a 911 than an SL63).
Appreciate 3
      02-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #17
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
The 4-Series has only been out for 8 years, not sure if it qualifies as an "iconic nameplate". If anything more people (and definitely all the purists) complained about the "loss" of the 3-Series/M3 coupe and convertible when it became the 4 (with "loss" in quotes since it wasn't even gone, just renamed).

I am curious if they're going to miss a part of the market by lumping the 4 and 8 into a 6. The 2-Series coupe overlaps the 4 enough that they could probably do away with the 4, but there's no 2-Series convertible to replace the 4, and it's a big step up to a 6/8. I also don't know if M4 coupe buyers will accept an M2 as a replacement (and they definitely wouldn't look to an M6 unless it was more like a 911 than an SL63).
Killing the 3 series coupe aka 4 series is really stupid. Big difference between renamed and dead. Especially if it's being done to make room for something that no one will buy (the 6).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #18
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:

Killing the 3 series coupe aka 4 series is really stupid. Big difference between renamed and dead. Especially if it's being done to make room for something that no one will buy (the 6).
Isn't the 2 series more of the 3 series coupe now? More dynamic and agile than the 4. The 4 was getting into the GT category. Which I can understand if it transforms into a 6.
      02-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #19
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Isn't the 2 series more of the 3 series coupe now? More dynamic and agile than the 4. The 4 was getting into the GT category. Which I can understand if it transforms into a 6.
The 3 and 4 still basically share the same platform. The M3 and M4 are virtually identical other than appearance. If the 4 is in the GT category, the 3 is also.

The 2 is different, completely different interior as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 02:23 PM   #20
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The 3 series Coupe aka 4 series has already a new name imo - 2 series .
      02-01-2022, 03:29 PM   #21
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs View Post
The 3 series Coupe aka 4 series has already a new name imo - 2 series .
The current 4 series is literally built from the same parts as a 3 everywhere. The 2 series is not.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 06:20 PM   #22
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List

The number of times I have heard this before
Appreciate 0