E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Can someone please tell me why... You sometimes get the Finger just for passing.

09-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #45
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I was in a long line of traffic to get off an exit on 400 here in Atlanta and had been in the very slow lane of traffic because, unlike some people, I don't like breaking in line at the last minute to avoid waiting. So, as I'm getting close to the exit I see some woman thinking she's going to cut me off to get in front of me so I quickly close the gap. Rather than moving on and finding some other sucker to let her in she pulls next to me and, while moving, takes both hands off the wheel to flip me off with both fingers. I laughed at the ridiculousness of this and I could see that me laughing just pissed her off about 10x more than she was already pissed off. It made my day and I arrived at work with a huge grin on my face. If that person is here I'd like to thank you for making my day. :rocks:
      09-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #46
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

I love when people do that. I just either act like I'm picking my nose and flipping it at them or maybe do one of these...

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #47
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
I don't know how anyone can work out in the world where they have to drive a commercial vehicle... I cannot imagine the stresses involved sometimes.
Try to give people who drive for a living a little extra courtesy on the road. I can only imagine the crap they have to deal with every day.

I do this, and a few months ago, I actually had a bus driver open his door next to me while we were both stopped at a stoplight, and signal for me to roll down my window. He wanted to say thanks for letting him into traffic. He said most people just cut him off. To actually get a compliment on these crowded streets really brightened my day.
      09-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #48
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

I probably would have just let the person in before they tried to squeeze in front of me and actually hit my car. Waiting an extra few seconds never delayed any of my trips a significant amount of time.
      09-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #49
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
I was in a long line of traffic to get off an exit on 400 here in Atlanta and had been in the very slow lane of traffic because, unlike some people, I don't like breaking in line at the last minute to avoid waiting. So, as I'm getting close to the exit I see some woman thinking she's going to cut me off to get in front of me so I quickly close the gap. Rather than moving on and finding some other sucker to let her in she pulls next to me and, while moving, takes both hands off the wheel to flip me off with both fingers. I laughed at the ridiculousness of this and I could see that me laughing just pissed her off about 10x more than she was already pissed off. It made my day and I arrived at work with a huge grin on my face. If that person is here I'd like to thank you for making my day. :rocks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyrock View Post
I probably would have just let the person in before they tried to squeeze in front of me and actually hit my car. Waiting an extra few seconds never delayed any of my trips a significant amount of time.
Yeah this borders on being just on the other side of the problem I think. A little bit.
      09-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #50
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Reverse psycho...
Attached Images

09-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #51
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
This happens because you are in America my friend...
I am originally from Eastern Europe, and if someone gives me the finger, he/she better be prepared for a broken nose, headlight, or windshield

Here in the USA, everyone thinks that they can do whatever the hell they want because they can dial 911 and cry to the police like friggin' bitch
So to fight their ignorance you use more ignorance? And trust me there are people in America who will straight up shoot you. I really can't believe you would harm someone over a gesture. You need some growing up.
      09-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #52
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Quote:
Hey Sometimes a poke in the nose is exactly what the soccer Mom needs, a more scandalous ill tempered and ignorant bunch is hard to find. A little reality in their day, and the realization that their piece of shit SUV does NOT make them tough or invincible could be just the ticket.

Then again, we could always just us illogical and extreme examples in an attempt to prove a point instead of just sacking up and having the wherewithal to have a genuine opinion or POV.

I didn't actually mean Punching Housewives is a good idea. I meant, that a lot of the rudeness in society is because of this cowardly notion that the police are going to protect them from potential repercussion for their own rudeness. That if in fact these spineless shit heads (Male and Female) knew that there were real consequences for being scumbags that they would likely NOT feel as inclined to insult others.
Maybe you could clarify your intent then. I'm really asking what you are suggesting. So, I understand you are not suggesting full punches at all times for all soccer moms who don't behave according to your standards. You mention a "poke in the nose". Are you suggesting we softly hit soccer moms some time? I understand you want them to know there can be repercussions. I'm just looking for some specifics on what you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #53
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

i just dont feel like beating some f@cker up and have 10 witnesses around and get my ass nailed for assault and spend tons of money on a lawyer...I wish it was like in good old ussr, you settle things between each other and move on with no court bullsh!t.... although driving is more relaxed here then in states, people in canada feel way too secure sometimes, and can do whatever they want, they need some dose of "surviving of the fittest" ...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #54
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01 View Post
i just dont feel like beating some f@cker up and have 10 witnesses around and get my ass nailed for assault and spend tons of money on a lawyer...I wish it was like in good old ussr, you settle things between each other and move on with no court bullsh!t.... although driving is more relaxed here then in states, people in canada feel way too secure sometimes, and can do whatever they want, they need some dose of "surviving of the fittest" ...
How did that work out for the USSR?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #55
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

This is the remedy to your problem:
:finger: (givie him a double dose)

Quote:
I'm not talking about being a shit head and riding their asses for 5 miles flashing your brights. OR Cutting them off to make the pass.

No, I'm talking about limp dick old men in their RLs that you simply drove around cause he was a rolling chicane. No tailgate, no hassle I just wanted to be in front. I drove around him legally and left him a fair distance behind while I was listening to Fleshfield and enjoying my commute. As I come up to my turn there is a bit of a line and lo-N-behold here's his Acura pulling up to my door. I look over and this fat sack of 50 something gives me the bird. I was all then I was like :mad: followed by ...

What the hell? The old me started to follow him, feeling that a little correction needed to be made, old habits die hard and we aren't in Tampa however. Then the shear pathetic nature of his little demonstration hit me. How bad must your life be, how many people is your wife sleeping with that me going around you causes enough drama in your life that you have to catch up to the guy (me), so you can deliver the finger?

It cannot really be some sort of pathetic jealousy he's in a nice car as well. It cannot be a personal space issue I was only next to him for a moment.
So the only thing I figure it could be is some sort of misplaced vigilantism cause I was speeding...

Ah well, I smiled and waved at him as I turned off a couple lights later. He looked a bit nervous anyway (Cause Now I had been following him for a few blocks) and I am certain my friendly wave and smile made him feel much better too...

I guess the lesson is that people suck, the majority of humans are small minded ego/media based sheep, and you cannot let other people rent space in your head. Especially when there is obviously something very sad and wrong in their lives.
      09-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #56
flyga3
Geboren zu Fahren!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyrock View Post
Pucker up and making a kissing motion at them.. you'd be surprised how much more that’ll piss them off.. i use this technique with morons that pull up next to me at lights that want to race me with a car that isn't worth the time.
+1! This technique works great everytime!
Usually they are stunned and don't know what to do as they were expecting you to get mad.
2005 R53 MINI Cooper S (retired)
2002 E53 X5 3.0 (retired), 1999 E46 328i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #57
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy View Post
because people are naturally assholes
Actually no. Man is basically good. We just sometimes act in poor ways.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #58
flush01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
How did that work out for the USSR?
either you beat the living shit out of him, or he beats living shit out of you... no court and all that bullshit
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #59
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
either you beat the living shit out of him, or he beats living shit out of you... no court and all that bullshit
I was making a sarcastic reference to its dissolution and it was rhetorical.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #60
flush01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
I was making a sarcastic reference to its dissolution and it was rhetorical.
i only got that part, translate the rest
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #61
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Best not to get confrontational unless they do something to somehow endanger you. Some people are just a******s.

I have definitely lost my cool a few times on the road and have really wanted to follow someone and beat them senseless for stuff like this. I recently watched a show on TV about prisons and they had a guy like 18, just out of high school. He was driving one night, someone cut him off, he chased them and the other car ended up crashing. The passenger in the car was a pregnant woman who lost the child. He was charged with involuntary manslaughter and is serving like 7 years, all because of road rage.

It just isn't worth getting confrontational if it isn't necessary.

I say best to ignore them, but I can understand the OP's frustration as I have been in similar situations.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #62
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i only got that part, translate the rest
I was making a connection that letting people fight it out caused the country to not exist anymore. It was a joke, so it did not need a response (rhetorical). Way to kill my punchline....a**hole (I'm purely joking here!)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #63
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

i carry old toasters in my car. when someone gives me the finger etc. i just throw one out the window at them and i'm telling you i feel sooo much better after.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #64
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I had a guy cut me off many times and not let me pass, because I had layed on my horn in a parking lot earlier when he almost backed into my car! I could not believe that he thought I was the bad guy.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #65
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
i carry old toasters in my car. when someone gives me the finger etc. i just throw one out the window at them and i'm telling you i feel sooo much better after.
I like this idea, but do you think it could work with TVs?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #66
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
Maybe you could clarify your intent then. I'm really asking what you are suggesting. So, I understand you are not suggesting full punches at all times for all soccer moms who don't behave according to your standards. You mention a "poke in the nose". Are you suggesting we softly hit soccer moms some time? I understand you want them to know there can be repercussions. I'm just looking for some specifics on what you suggest.
Only on Tuesdays...