E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Can someone please tell me why... You sometimes get the Finger just for passing.

09-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #23
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyrock View Post
Pucker up and making a kissing motion at them.. you'd be surprised how much more that’ll piss them off.. i use this technique with morons that pull up next to me at lights that want to race me with a car that aren’t worth the time.
Funny you should say that about the kissing motion.

I was in my FedEx truck and I let a car merge in front of me from a cross street. The guy behind me got very mad as I could see him in my side mirror. The light in front of us was red so I didn't know why he would be so pissed at me letting some one into traffic.

We make it through the light. The guy behind tries to get ahead of every body but can't because of the traffic. He sees me in my mirror and he just starts flipping me off. We hit the next red light, he is two cars behind me on the driver side. I poke my head out of the window and start blowing him kisses. The other people in the other cars start looking at him. He turned a bright red.

When I got back to the station my boss called me into her office. I had a complaint against me from the driver I blew kisses at. My boss just laughed and told me "no more blowing kisses out my window"

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #24
MnK6
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 엠쓰리

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Another reason why I have 20% tinted window. I try to ignore them although around where I live, I am the one who is giving the 'finger' cause they all drive like idiots around here.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #25
vaportech
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 on order

Garage List
2008 335 e93  [0.00]
I think a lot of frustration on the roads would be ameliorated if people would just, KEEP SLOWER TRAFFIC RIGHT! It's such a simple concept. I always allow faster cars through. I'm not up for speeding 80 plus everyday. But others are.
      09-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #26
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbomatic View Post
Very common attitude in the US. I think its just brittle egos and lack of esteem issues. If you don't do something to feel like you got back at the person you feel like you are somehow weaker and "didn't stand up to that asshole!".

When I casually cruise past someone with my indicator on to get back into their lane I will almost always see them speeding up to not allow me to pass. The other annoying thing is to drive really fast around my car, get in front then slow back down because they realized they are in speeding ticket speed now. All this is because some how mentally the person feels they are "losing" in some way because another car managed to get in front of them. Rediculous thinking but people are always competing with you whether you are or not.

When I was visiting in Asia the driving was far more dangerous but actually less people really screamed like a NYC taxi driver or flipped birds(or equivalent thereof). Sweden drivers were actually very relaxed in comparison to US drivers too when I drove there.

I chalk it up to lack of common etiquette education in general and a proliferation of people with fragile esteem and egocentric minds.
Totally, the guy zooming to get back in front thing is pretty damn common... I see it all the time...
      09-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #27
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
Probably pissed that y'all don't use turn signals.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #28
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaportech View Post
I think a lot of frustration on the roads would be ameliorated if people would just, KEEP SLOWER TRAFFIC RIGHT! It's such a simple concept. I always allow faster cars through. I'm not up for speeding 80 plus everyday. But others are.
+1
That's one of my biggest frustrations. I don't care if I'm going 20 over... if there's a car going 25 over coming up behind me, I get over.
I hate when I come upon someone driving slow in the left lane; I'll hit my left signal letting them know I want to pass, when they don't move over, I'll go around them on the right. Half the time, they then speed up and try to pace me.
      09-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #29
Alan(iX)
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535

I have had a few incidents like this.

One morning commuting to work on a 5 lane interstate going 25 mph (heavy traffic), I passed a pickup that decided to spit on the hood of my E92 335 Coupe.

I have also passed a few cars on the interstate at night, probably ~75 mph and they then decided to speed up and follow me with their high beams on.

In all these incidents, the xenon headlights were on and I am guessing that they really blind some people.
2007 BMW E92 335i Coupe, 6MT, space grey, black leather, dark burl, CWP, ZPP, ZSP, Comfort Access, Nav, Power Rear Sun Shade, Park Distance Control, Sirius
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #30
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
OH If Only....

If things were allowed to be handled via simple fists? What a polite society we would have. Bronco is exactly right. We have a nation of cowards and soccer Mom's giving the finger then speeding away. It's baffling to me that some 5'2" dipshit breeder housewife will give you the bird and expect nothing bad to happen... Baffling and dangerous.

There should be some sort of OPEN HAND law. Allowing people to work shit out via basic fist skills... If it were permitted and we weren't such a pathetic "security and safety" oriented society, things would probably run better.
Exactly. I don't understand why we aren't allowed to just punch 5'2" tall middle-aged women in the nose. If we could do that, they would be polite to us all the time. They would do everything we tell them to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #31
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45ACP View Post
Probably pissed that y'all don't use turn signals.
Didnt you know that turn signals are an upgrade, people cant afford them, especially in Florida. You know your in Florida when you have to pass in the left lane because the asshole in the right lane(99.9% ALWAYS a woman or an old man) thinks they own the road. Way too many old people and out of staters.
      09-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #32
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

I'm sure it was the speeding thing.

Next time, chalk it up to 'whatever', and focus on more important things, like what kind of sandwich you'll have for lunch. Don't let him 'rent space' - no vacancy as it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #33
RonPaul4Prez
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

I give anyone the finger if I see that their plates are from states north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #34
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
Exactly. I don't understand why we aren't allowed to just punch 5'2" tall middle-aged women in the nose. If we could do that, they would be polite to us all the time. They would do everything we tell them to do.
Hey Sometimes a poke in the nose is exactly what the soccer Mom needs, a more scandalous ill tempered and ignorant bunch is hard to find. A little reality in their day, and the realization that their piece of shit SUV does NOT make them tough or invincible could be just the ticket.

Then again, we could always just us illogical and extreme examples in an attempt to prove a point instead of just sacking up and having the wherewithal to have a genuine opinion or POV.

I didn't actually mean Punching Housewives is a good idea. I meant, that a lot of the rudeness in society is because of this cowardly notion that the police are going to protect them from potential repercussion for their own rudeness. That if in fact these spineless shit heads (Male and Female) knew that there were real consequences for being scumbags that they would likely NOT feel as inclined to insult others.
      09-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #35
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

From your post you sound like an aggressive and rude person. Are you sure you didn't do something to provoke this?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #36
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPaul4Prez View Post
I give anyone the finger if I see that their plates are from states north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Just so long as you stay down there where you're happy, I'm with ya!
      09-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #37
retlod
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaportech View Post
+1

It seems like I get behind people who are oblivious to this concept each and every day. On my way to work I have to take a busy left exit. Cars will get into the left lane 6-7 miles before the exit and drive 55 mph (speed limit) just because they will eventually have to exit left. Invariably, all three lanes will then match the speed so I'm stuck. Never any cops. Nice new highway. Why, why, why...

One time I passed some guy on the same highway in my old '97 Accord. I was driving about 70 in the left lane. He was doing 55 in the middle. No other cars were around. I didn't tail him or cut him off. He didn't speed up when I passed, but flashed his high-beams and honked at me until I was a good 200 feet in front of him. "Thank you, Sir, for warning me that I am speeding. You are too kind." WTF.
35% Tint | Golf Tee
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #38
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

In the drive through lane. I get my bag and have barely had a chance to set it in the passenger seat and, HHHHOOOONNNNKKKK. I look in the rear view and it is some guy screaming for me to hurry up and get out of the way. I raise my hands as if "what". He lays his finger into his windshield with a mighty motion. WTH? I pull forward and he snatches his bag and pulls up beside me just losing his poop. "That's it". I pull into a spot, get out and start going towards him . He gets out and is still squawking like an old hen. I keep coming and he jumps back into his little SUV and nails it. You flip me off for no good reason and start the insults then you need to have your lunch with you. He had his lunch but turned out to be all talk. Man I wanted to nail that guy in the balls with my right foot before he knew what hit him. Pu##y
      09-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #39
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taittinger View Post
We would be much more polite if open carry of firearms would be permitted. Imagine how many soccer moms in their SUVs would give you the finger if they thought you may actually have a handgun in the car.
I have a gun in my car at all times, but that doesnt mean that I will shoot somone just because they flipped the finger at me...

See if you go back in time to Wild West -- pepole had guns, BUT thy actually used them

Now, if this is the case today, that would make a lot of people think before they do anything stupid
      09-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #40
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
From your post you sound like an aggressive and rude person. Are you sure you didn't do something to provoke this?
I am direct and over the top here sure... But believe it or not I am quite a polite and dare I say Chivalrous individual out in the world. I may be aggressive, but I am also very aware of the effects my behaviors and actions can have on others, very socially aware. So I am 100% certain that in this case at least I truly did nothing to inspire this sort of reaction.

I thought it over, I replayed the brief exchange and that is what left me truly baffled. Sure the natural reaction is to read a post like mine, sit at your keyboard and make Judgements, but I'm being very upfront...

"I sound like a rude and aggressive person?"
      09-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #41
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
I am direct and over the top here sure... But believe it or not I am quite a polite and dare I say Chivalrous individual out in the world. I may be aggressive, but I am also very aware of the effects my behaviors and actions can have on others, very socially aware. So I am 100% certain that in this case at least I truly did nothing to inspire this sort of reaction.

I thought it over, I replayed the brief exchange and that is what left me truly baffled. Sure the natural reaction is to read a post like mine, sit at your keyboard and make Judgements, but I'm being very upfront...

"I sound like a rude and aggressive person?"
Your avatar makes me think you are aggressive.
      09-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #42
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW View Post
Didnt you know that turn signals are an upgrade, people cant afford them, especially in Florida. You know your in Florida when you have to pass in the left lane because the asshole in the right lane(99.9% ALWAYS a woman or an old man) thinks they own the road. Way too many old people and out of staters.
I learned a lot about self control in the four years I lived in Tampa. Never have I seen a state so filled with angry, rude, and overtly aggressive drivers. Just screwing with ya cause they can, Doing their best to stay ahead of ya and keep going slow... It was wild... I feel your pain.
      09-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #43
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Your avatar makes me think you are aggressive.
NAH, Just Grumpy...
      09-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #44
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Rider View Post
Funny you should say that about the kissing motion.

I was in my FedEx truck and I let a car merge in front of me from a cross street. The guy behind me got very mad as I could see him in my side mirror. The light in front of us was red so I didn't know why he would be so pissed at me letting some one into traffic.

We make it through the light. The guy behind tries to get ahead of every body but can't because of the traffic. He sees me in my mirror and he just starts flipping me off. We hit the next red light, he is two cars behind me on the driver side. I poke my head out of the window and start blowing him kisses. The other people in the other cars start looking at him. He turned a bright red.

When I got back to the station my boss called me into her office. I had a complaint against me from the driver I blew kisses at. My boss just laughed and told me "no more blowing kisses out my window"
I don't know how anyone can work out in the world where they have to drive a commercial vehicle... I cannot imagine the stresses involved sometimes.