E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Hit the wall, what to do?

04-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
HighBeam$
Rep
Drives: Not an m3 yet :[

Hit the wall, what to do?

Hey guys, so back in september I was 227 pounds and 6'1" tall. As of today, I fluctuate between 190 and 195 depending on the time of day. I lost that weight by playing basketball about 2 hours daily and cutting most junk foods out of my diet and eating less. With the exception of a few weekends when I go crazy, my weight has steadily decreased with my dedication to basketball. However, as of late I've been stuck in the 190-200 range, reaching 190 when i diet and 200 when i eat whatever I want, all while exercising.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? I understand that cheating my diet is obviously going to slow any results, but even when I stick to it for a few weeks, Its impossible to drop below 190. Perhaps I need to add something to my already 2 hours of devoted time? Weight training?

Any advice for feedback will be appreciated, thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

it could even be your diet...most overweight people think they can just eat less, but still eat crap and be better off. Not saying that's what you're doing, but it might help to post a normal days worth of food for you as a reference.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
HighBeam$
Rep

your right, I don't really have a strict set of meals, and even when I eat i just try to avoid carbs and sugar, I guess the easy part of the weight loss may be over and now I really have to pick and choose what I eat, lean meats, whole grains, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4

high protein diet should help you
      04-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

I would do some weight training to put on muscle, and watch your diet.

More muscle = more calories burned by your body (faster metabolism).

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
HighBeam$
Rep

as far as the diet, do you think ive been doing fine with it thus far since ive lost almost 40 pounds, or do I need to get even stricter with it in addition to the weight training?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep

you need to adjust your diet depending on your goals. And yes, you better start working out while still playing basketball (or doing cardio).
      04-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
HighBeam$
Rep

thanks for the quick response, so If my goal is to drop body fat but at the same time increase muscle to aid in the burning of body fat... high protein diet?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Hey, 40 pounds is a huge deal buddy! Congratulations! That's major accomplishment and not easy to do. So, you know you can do it! Step 1 complete! Now on to steps 2 and 3.

Step 2 is getting a more optimal diet in place that will correct some biochemical issues (insulin) you've got going on. The body will lose weight, up to a certain point, just with less food (any kind of food) and tons of exercise. But that only goes so far. And who has 2-3 hours/day to spend playing B-ball and the like? Not me. Cuts into driving time! Hah!

Step 2. Diet. If you eat things that are packaged--in a box, instant, prepared, etc.--you're going to stay stuck. Packaged cereals, bread, white rice, instant oatmeal, potatoes, etc. milk products (yogurt, milk, ice cream) cause the body to secrete large amounts of insulin (fat storage hormone) and high insulin levels not only store fat, but inhibit burning of fat. So, you can "eat less" but if what you eat surges insulin you're going to be in fat storage not fat buring mode. Being overweight (current or in the past) makes you insulin resistant (which can improve when you lose weight and with time).

Try substituting the carb sources in your diet with beans, yams, and veggies. Eat protein at every meal along with some good fats (olive oil, fish, walnuts). A good mix would be 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs. (400 calories * 5 meals = 2,000 day. That's 40 grams protein, 30 grams carbs, and 14 grams fat per meal. You can always set up things a bit so that you eat more carbs earlier in the day (higher carb ratio, but less fat with those meals) and eat fewer carbs and a bit more fat later in the day (insulin sensitivity is best early in the day and just sucks later in the day--carbs late really work against you). Try this for a couple weeks. If you're still stuck, try increasing the protein to 45%, fats by 35%, and cut carbs to 20%. If that still doesn't work, cut 200 calories (doubt you'll need to do this). A good rule of thumb is 10-12 calories/pound of bodyweight (which needs to be adjusted as you change) with the same macro nutrient ratios.

Step 3. Can be done in parallel with Step 2....Heavy weight training (e.g. squats, deadlifts, rows, pullups, power cleans, snatches, overhead presses, sled dragging, tire flipping, car pushing, sprinting--not curls and other bs exercises like flyes) improves insulin sensitivity by up to 300% for 24 hours post workout. (That's way better than most drugs on the market). This is another way to increase chances of success (and feel and look better too). Here's a link to my friend Sally's page if you want to get going on this (Sally is a hardcore trainer with lots of great info and good links). A good training session should be about 1.5 hours in length (including warm up and cool down and stretching--about 1 hour training, 30 min supportive work). If you can train longer than that you're not working hard enough or you're taking too much rest between sets. Think boxers, sprinters, MMA guys. If you want to look like that, train like that!

Oh, the macro-nutrient ratios I've provided are good for someone who is a beginner to intermediate weight trainer....if you're a Crossfit or MMA guy, or other advanced trainee, you might benefit from more protein, but that's debatable. Most guys that use that much protein use other "super supplements" to process and partition that much protein....

Have fun! If you're not having fun with your training something else or mix things up! Exercise should be fun--if it's not find something that moves you.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-18-2010 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep

Highbeam, listen to what Finnegans saying. Also, proper diet + a proper work out =succes.

Also, try eating either a fruit or a vegie with every meal, and very important, drink MORE water.
      04-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
HighBeam$
Rep

thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Sure, have fun!

I edited the my post--take a look again--a few more details there.

I've been doing this for 30 years--still learning, still having fun! Bodyfat is at 9%, deadlift max 450 @185 pounds. Not bad for an old guy. Not bragging, just saying I've been around the block a few times, tried a lot of things and failed miserably, got really chunky at one time (mongo want to be big--got fat, weighed 220), stagnated in strength gains, stagnated in fat loss; learned, moved on, and found what works...and have some decent results to show for it. Plan I made is a suggestion, everyone is a bit different, you have to make some changes when things don't or stop working, adjust, learn, and move on. Most of all, I have fun! Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
HighBeam$
Rep

will do! thanks again for the advice
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

Well, I think your body has gotten used to basketabll and therefore you have to shock your body with a new exercise. There is a good chance your metabolism has been slowed because of your weight loss. It may be a good time to lift weights and do a total body workout 2-3 times a week. If I were, you I would not really diet any more and focus on whole foods to make up a big part of your diet.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

I faced a loooong plateau.

I had to lower my calories intake from 1800 to 1650 (3x 550), which I do 13 day out of 14 (the 14th is my cheating day).

In retrospective, that was easier than I thought. From 5'10" 240 to 163, going for less than 140. It is a very slow process in my case and I am ok with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #16
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Finnegan, some really good advice up there

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Take a look at the HCG diet (has drug and diet components)
      05-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
HighBeam$
Rep

Red face

thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah as of last monday Ive added weight training in addition to my daily basketball.
monday -chest, abs, triceps
tuesday- legs, biceps, shoulders, back
wednesday- only basketball
T,F-same as monday tuesday

I've yet to see what it has done for me since I only did it on monday and tuesday and was sore as hell the whole week. Thursday I acquired a lightly sprained thumb playing basketball and have been out of the gym since then. Hopefully I'll get to start this week since I wont be so sore.

As for the Hcg diet, were you serious about that, looks like it requires the injection of a early pregnancy hormone or something .

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #19
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighBeam$ View Post
monday -chest, abs, triceps
tuesday- legs, biceps, shoulders, back
wednesday- only basketball
T,F-same as monday tuesday
IMO your tuesday is a bit busy for your body. I would split your tuesday into two days. I also do abs everyday since abs dont take much to workout (abs are almost always working during strength training)

My workout is:

Monday: Chest and upper back
Tuesday: Bi's and tri's
Wednesday: Squats and deadlifts
Thursday: Shoulders and Cleans
Friday: off
Saturday: Bike and Treadmill
Sunday: Treadmill and Stairmaster

5'10" 210-163 over 6 months or so aiming for 155
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighBeam$ View Post
As for the Hcg diet, were you serious about that, looks like it requires the injection of a early pregnancy hormone or something .
Actually I was serious. Pro Body Builders use it.
      06-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #21
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

You'll need to find what works for you. Finnegan has a great detailed program that seem like a good place to aim for.

In my case I've never gotten that detailed about ratios as my experience says it's unnecessary. Until 4 years ago at age 47 I was a marathoner that took his running seriously and managed to progressively get faster each year as a master. I ate a high proportion of carbs, plenty of protein and very little processed foods while staying well hydrated. When I started running nine years before that I was 180 pounds. At my lightest in '05 I was 149 just before the Chicago marathon where I ran my fastest race. My body fat was 7.5%. I ate what I wanted as long as it was reasonably healthy. I just pounded out more and more volume. I did nothing but run so no strength training or anything for my upper body at all other than 2x20 minutes on my core weekly.

Unfortunately my body can't take the physical punishment of pounding the pavement anymore. I'm still at 164 pounds doing 1/3 of the volume and a fraction of the intensity.

I would ensure you're mixing up your workouts- intensity/duration etc so that your body is being challenged regularly and not plateauing. You need to break it down a bit further once or twice a week and allow enough time to repair and recover for the next harder sessions.

To echo what Finnegan said- have fun. If you don't you won't stick with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #22
VincentO
Rep
Drives: Mustang

don't have carbs at night as they do not burn off in the morning. also start running a bit more often
Appreciate 0