E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Healthy food for on the go?

02-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Healthy food for on the go?

Anyone know any good advice about getting healthy food on the go? I'm a pretty busy college student and it's almost impossible to get healthy food on the go since I don't live anywhere near the school ( commute 45-60 min ) and I just recently started to workout again but I need some advice on what I can eat on the go so it won't mess up my progress.

I'm trying to eat lean like white meat chicken, rice, wheat, etc so I can get rid of a small layer of belly fat while working out so I can get cut. I'm about 6'1 and 160 lbs, 20 years if that helps. Does subway count as health food after u take out the cheese and condiments? Sorry lol I'm pretty new to eating healthy and I've just only recently started getting serious about getting a cut body
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Quote:
Originally Posted by my92 View Post
Anyone know any good advice about getting healthy food on the go? I'm a pretty busy college student and it's almost impossible to get healthy food on the go since I don't live anywhere near the school ( commute 45-60 min ) and I just recently started to workout again but I need some advice on what I can eat on the go so it won't mess up my progress.

I'm trying to eat lean like white meat chicken, rice, wheat, etc so I can get rid of a small layer of belly fat while working out so I can get cut. I'm about 6'1 and 160 lbs, 20 years if that helps. Does subway count as health food after u take out the cheese and condiments? Sorry lol I'm pretty new to eating healthy and I've just only recently started getting serious about getting a cut body

Turkey on wheat from subway with some veggies is a good quick meal... Skip the chips and go with soup if you need something with it...I think the soup is only 90 calories..

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
Turkey on wheat from subway with some veggies is a good quick meal... Skip the chips and go with soup if you need something with it...I think the soup is only 90 calories..
Subway foods are a chemistry experiment.
http://subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNut...gredients.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

^^ Agreed but it could be worse.. I mean if you are out and about and all that is around are fast food chains I think a turkey sandwhich is better than a bigmac...

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
DrockNJ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

you should really try to plan your day out and try to pack some things to eat during the day...it will make everything a lot easier... i mean the typical rule is that you want to try to eat around 5 "meals" a day every couple of hours or so. Eat your breakfast at home then just take a nice piece of fruit with you and pack another healthy snack...i find picking up a salad for lunch is the best way to go..with a little bit of chicken on it or maybe some tuna.. you can usually find a salad bar at any local food store or even on the college campus...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Zankou Chicken. Get a chicken wrap. Should cost you about 6 bucks.

http://www.zankouchicken.com/
      02-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I had some time to kill so here's a long-winded answer.

+1 on DrockNJ's answer.

Having been in this game for awhile (over 30 years; I'm under 10% bodyfat and my deadlift is 450 in case "stats" matter) I'll give you this advice: modify your diet by improving your choices over time and by refining things as needed; don't try to be "perfect". Subway isn't perfect, but a grilled chicken sandwich, with some honey mustard (no cheese or mayo) is a better choice a value meal, Big Mac, or other fast food. People who try to be perfect usually end up chucking it all because it's too frustrating, so make better choices, not perfect choices.

Another thing you can do is make your food over the weekend, freeze it, and then take is with you. Grill up a bunch of chicken. Freeze it. Put a piece in the fridge the night before a school day, throw it together for a sandwich in the AM and throw that in a cooler. Cheap, fast, and you control all of the ingredients. Can be done with tuna, turkey, etc. If you want to be more "hard core" (again, one thing at a time); throw in some pre-cooked brown rice or some cold veggies with a small amount of olive oil or dressing). Cottage cheese, an apple, some good quality nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc., in small amounts) can be thrown in the cooler as well. Voila. You have food! And it's going to be a lot cheaper in the long-run that Subway or other fast food.

As long as your diet is reasonable, and you "just have a small layer of belly fat" to lose making small changes in diet are probably all that's needed at your age. The other thing is your training plan. High intensity sprinting, interval training (cycle, stair climber, whatever), progressive circuit weight training type programs, tabata protocols, etc. yield much better results than long-duration, low intensity "cardio" or distance running. Need proof? Look at endurance athletes vs. sprinters. Who is more ripped? Endurance athletes are often kind of flabby. The "cut" guys and gals I see at the gym are those who engage in some form of high-intensity exercise while those on the hamster wheels look the same day after day month after month year after year. There's plenty out on the internets if you search. Simply Google "interval training". Oh, one last thing on training, whatever works works for awhile and then your body adapts. So mix things up!

Here are a few other tips that can be added in over time that I've found can improve results:
Eat the majority of your carbs in the morning and after you work out. Note I didn't say "gorge" on carbs, but eating them at these times is optimal for fat loss and recovery.

Avoid carbs at night--any kind of carbs. A good dinner would be some grilled chicken or fish and some steamed veggies with a little bit of olive oil. (Doesn't apply to post workout nutrition....carbs are ok then.)

Don't avoid fats; use them in moderation but do avoid mixing fats with carbs. A bit of fish oil, if you can afford it, is a great thing for health and fat loss. 2-3 grams of fish oil is a wonderful thing.

A small amount of low fat cottage cheese as an after dinner snack is perfect as is any high-protein low carb low fat food.

Experiment, make small changes, test the results (bigger, leaner, fatter, whatever). Everyone is unique and cookie cutter approaches seldom work. (Oh, and things change as you age +1 or 2 years, so you need to adjust the diet as well.)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrockNJ View Post
you should really try to plan your day out and try to pack some things to eat during the day...it will make everything a lot easier... i mean the typical rule is that you want to try to eat around 5 "meals" a day every couple of hours or so. Eat your breakfast at home then just take a nice piece of fruit with you and pack another healthy snack...i find picking up a salad for lunch is the best way to go..with a little bit of chicken on it or maybe some tuna.. you can usually find a salad bar at any local food store or even on the college campus...
+1

Cook all your meals on Sunday and divide them out in ziplock bags. Chicken while I'm not a fan of it cold, once cooked can be eaten as is. Pre-make tuna and bring bread with you.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Wow thanks for all of the advice. Yea I've been trying the subway thing but 5-6 dollars a day is a little on the expensive side and it does tend to get bland just eating turkey with wheat without dressing. I will definitely look into interval training as I thought long endurance training was the way to go to shed weight. Packing food causes some trouble since there's no real way for me to heat it because like I said I commute so I don't have access to a kitchen or any sort of heating source but I'm going to start trying tuna and other cold foods and start bringing it from home, maybe leave it in my car or something. I will tell you guys if it's working for me

p.s that info on slowly progressing into an ideal meal plan i think is extremely important =o
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I'm glad some of this was helpful. Whatever you do (eat, train, etc.) , it needs to be something pretty much enjoy. Turkey on wheat without dressing, or anything that boring, isn't sustainable. Variety and good choices over time are a winning formula!

+1 on the cooler in the car. That opens up a lot of reasonably priced and tasty choices!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4

almonds/water/juice/fruits/veggies/chicken breast sandwhich