E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > *BREAKING* Sony Cancels 'The Interview' Release after Major Theater Chains Pull Out!

12-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Exclamation *BREAKING* Sony Cancels 'The Interview' Release after Major Theater Chains Pull Out!

Wow.... Kim Jong ain't playing!

What really makes this VERY interesting, is how this will affect Studios in the future for potential films if some group deems it unfit and threatens like this...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/17/7...aters-pull-out

Quote:
Sony is canceling The Interview's planned theatrical release in response to all major US theater chains deciding not to show the film after attacks were threatened. "In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the film The Interview, we have decided not to move forward with the planned December 25 theatrical release," Sony says in a statement, reprinted by Variety. "We respect and understand our partners’ decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers."

""We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression.""

The hackers who stole data from Sony threatened attacks on screenings of The Interview yesterday afternoon. In the time since, around half of all movie screens in the US declined to show the film.

Sony's statement continues: "Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business. Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale – all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like. We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome."

The decision is likely to account for a significant financial loss for Sony, which was in line to see a nice return on its Christmas-day comedy. Many are already criticizing the move by theater owners, worrying that this will set a precedent for how the film industry responds to threats. The theater owners stated that they felt this was a necessary decision to ensure their patrons' safety and comfort — and, in effect, they've also basically forced Sony's hand. That's a win for theaters, which may get to show this film at a later date, but it's not great news for Sony after all of the promotion it's done ahead of the 25th.

The film, which stars Seth Rogen and James Franco, has raised some controversy because of its subject matter: an assassination attempt on North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, who is graphically killed at the end. North Korea is widely suspected to be behind the cyberattack on Sony, though it has denied any involvement.

It is still possible that Sony will release The Interview theatrically at a later date, and it seems almost certain that it will eventually release The Interview digitally. Not releasing the film at all would be a major financial hit, and studios have become more and more willing to release films online and on-demand before or alongside theatrical releases. That would be a fitting decision for The Interview, as it would subvert the threats against theaters. It would, however, likely lead to a smaller return for Sony.
      12-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I just read about this a few minutes ago. I get that the theaters are thinking of patrons safety, but it shows that we as a people will cave to these threats. Instead, they should be showing the movie as planned, and we should all be going to see it to prove we will not be intimidated by such threats.
      12-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

This whole story is so pathetic I don't even know where to start... the t e r r o r i s t s really have won...
      12-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

With regard to the Interview, what they should do is just release the shit online so the entire world can Torrent the shit out of it! Then Kim can suck it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Lol at the U.S. being afraid of North Korea.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Actually, kim ate the movie.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Just plain pathetic. And sadly this action speaks for our country as a whole even though I'd wager the majority of US citizens would disagree with Sony.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #9
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Loser move. North Korea wins.

I can't believe how soft the theaters are being about this. I don't think they are afraid for their patrons. I think the execs are afraid their identities will be stolen and their dirty corporate laundry aired.

I guess straight to DVD unless Best Buy refuses to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
I think the execs are afraid their identities will be stolen and their dirty corporate laundry aired.
Uh, that's already happened.

As for Sony cancelling it, definitely a bitch move but I can't say I care too much. The movie looked a little silly. Besides, what'd they think would happen when you made a movie about killing Kim Jong Un?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
With regard to the Interview, what they should do is just release the shit online so the entire world can Torrent the shit out of it! Then Kim can suck it.
This was EXACTLY the first thought I had when I heard the news.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

They should work out something with Netflix so they at least get some money back.

Only reason Sony canceled the release was because most of the movie theaters, out of an abundance of caution, declined to show the movie. So it was just Sony trying to save face and act like they care about the safety of consumers. If the large theater chains were still planning on showing it, they would've never canceled the premiere and release, especially since the DHS is saying that they have no credible intelligence of a legitimate terrorist attack.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I envision a skit on SNL this weekend
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Pathetic. where have the balls of this country gone?

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Pathetic. where have the balls of this country gone?
I dunno, what would you do if someone had your social security number and personal information and was threatening you from thousands of miles away in a country where there's little chance that law enforcement could do anything? Where would your balls be then?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #16
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I dunno, what would you do if someone had your social security number and personal information and was threatening you from thousands of miles away in a country where there's little chance that law enforcement could do anything? Where would your balls be then?
Swinging in the open air of freedom. Sure, there would be some inconvenience of fixing your financial records and whatnot, but telling them to drink a 32oz glass of f*ckoff would be worth it. And if they want to stop by, bring it. They make things for dealing with that.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Remember the movie industry had some idiot pretend he was the dark night and shot up a movie theater what do you think they will do when they get threats.

Since N. Korea and we all assuming this is where the threats came from the US should drop bombs on them since they now have made terroristic threats against the US population, oh wait that will not happen N. Korea does not have anything anyone wants like Oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Swinging in the open air of freedom. Sure, there would be some inconvenience of fixing your financial records and whatnot, but telling them to drink a 32oz glass of f*ckoff would be worth it. And if they want to stop by, bring it. They make things for dealing with that.
True, I'd be more nervous about them having my personal info like my address, phone number, email, etc.

Fixing and keeping a close eye on your finances is one thing, having them know exactly where you live, work and sleep is an entirely other thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #19
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Remember the movie industry had some idiot pretend he was the dark night and shot up a movie theater what do you think they will do when they get threats.

Since N. Korea and we all assuming this is where the threats came from the US should drop bombs on them since they now have made terroristic threats against the US population, oh wait that will not happen N. Korea does not have anything anyone wants like Oil.
The US produces more oil than anyone in the world right now. I don't think we bomb countries for their oil...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #20
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
True, I'd be more nervous about them having my personal info like my address, phone number, email, etc.

Fixing and keeping a close eye on your finances is one thing, having them know exactly where you live, work and sleep is an entirely other thing.
If they have the info they will use it anyway regardless
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #21
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

So do we think there will ever be a chance of it being released on normal rental or something down the road then?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #22
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious
Quote:

If they have the info they will use it anyway regardless
Thats the screwed up part... they can still do whatever they want... and we pansy out like bitches. I am telling you, Ben Franklin is rolling around.