E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Getting in shape for summer!

04-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #23
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Originally Posted by huchung
You have to work out your back and legs. Your back is pretty crucial; paired with your abs, they make the core to hold your upper body and lower body. Your upper back also stretches out your chest, so you dont walk around concaved. For backs, I recommend doing pull-backs for mid back, pull-downs for upper back, and back extension for lower back (most important area). For legs, squats and lunges are the quickest and most effective routines.

Back is important, ABs important, but not so much is needed in terms of working it out extensively (AB workout) reason being, when you do most of the AB workout, you're trying to spot target your workout, which will not work. You'll never see the 6 pack unless you have somewhere around 3 to 5% bodyfat. Also when you're working your back and various execricse you're working out the ABs as well (known as compound exercise/movement)so not too much is needed for the ABs. You can still do some situp or cruches, but don't make it a primary focus, otherwise, you'll end up with a bigger waistline because the muscle underneath the layer of fat will get bigger and hence making your waist look bigger but as long as the layer of fat is still you'll never see the 4/6/8 packs.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #24
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Bruce Lee's method > All
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/8669/abtraining.htm

But I don't exercise at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #25
ryanmangos
member of LongTran Fan Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport

i am in shape....a round shape =(

i have a 24hr gym membership that i never use...bleh...need to start playing bball again...hahaha
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #26
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey, Sc - good info! So working out a set of muscles once a week should be the most optimal? e.g. I should be curling a pyramid routine only once a week?

EDIT: and, please do elaborate (if you have the time or care to do so) on more details such as diet and beyond 1-week schedules. I suppose I would be in the same shoes as you are - trying to increase strength and build!
      04-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #27
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Hey, Sc - good info! So working out a set of muscles once a week should be the most optimal? e.g. I should be curling a pyramid routine only once a week?

EDIT: and, please do elaborate (if you have the time or care to do so) on more details such as diet and beyond 1-week schedules. I suppose I would be in the same shoes as you are - trying to increase strength and build!
Yes, as long as you work out each muscle group once a week with 100% intensity using the pryramid rountine you'll see gain. Most common mistake at the gym, as you've probably seen this yourself is seeing people lifting and in their mind as long as they lift 4 sets of 10 reps with weight they can manage, they'll eventually see gain. This is a general misconception and will not generate optimal result. In order to gain and improve, you really need to push yourself (that's why working out with a partner is a good idea) Also, like I mentioned before, switch to different exercise every couple of weeks, so your body are force to adjust to new weight/movement..etc As long as you push hard during your workout, you only need to exercise each group once a week (to give it enough time to recover). As for diet, the best optimal diet, and this is for long term, is to eat 5 to 6 meals a day. Keep your portion small but try to eat every 3 hrs or so, this way your body is continuious burning energy without feeling the food coma effect. Also, if you want to gain go higher on protein, the best way to calculate this is to times the amount of protein intake by 1 to 1.5 your body weight. So if you're 170lbs, to gain lean muscle the protein intake would be around 170-255 grams. Of course, this will yield a faster gain(for slow gainer), but normally I said go with .6 to .8 times your bodyweight . I used to be pretty strict with diet, but nowaday I find it hard to eat 5 to 6 times a day, I still try to do 3 to 4 times and balance out fat/protein/fiber/carb intake. One thing for sure though, I stay away from junk food, especially Soda or anything big on sugar. Sugar has way too much simple carb, and it's very easily converted into bodyfat. I hope I cover most of your question, let me know if need more info

P.S. Each person has different metalbolism/body shape/and genetic makeup so sometime you just have to take the principle of a good workout and tweak it a little to fit your own style
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #28
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Routine

Since you asked:
Sun - Bench machine 10x97/8x207/8x207/8x207; Lat pull 10x100/3x130x10; Pec Deck 3x10x120/Bent pulley row 3x10x130; DB curl 10x25/10x27.5 then strip sets; TC V pushdown 3x10x145; Smith machine shoulder press 8x65/5x85/4x85/5x65; Hip abduct 3x10x100; Hip adduct 3x10x100. Hamstring/gr stretches
Mon -Abd cunch 3x10x95; Leg raise 4x10; Back extens 7x10x95 ; Hip abduct 3x10x100; Hip adduct 3x10x100. Shrug 3x10x115; Rear delt 'flys'10x45/10x60/10x75; Hamstring/gr stretches
Tues - same as Sun but Militaries first and heavier, Bench lighter
Wed Same as Mon.

Thinking of going to PUSH/PULL split. No cardio/TSD til knee better (scope tomorrow, fingers crossed!).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #29
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

My regular routine is:

1st day: Back (Upper and lower) and abs
2nd day: Chest and biceps
3rd day: Shoulders and triceps
4th day: Legs and abs
5th day: Rest

Repeat, and second time with 2 days of rest instead of one.

I do about 4-5 exercises per body part, 3-4 sets each, pyramid sets - 1st set 12-14 reps, 2nd set increase weight to only manage about 10 reps, 3rd set increase weight again to only manage about 8 reps, and 4th set increase again to manage only max 6 reps.

I would change my exercises every 3 sessions or so. This helped me bulk up real fast. 2-3 times out of the week, I'd do interval training after the workout for about 20-30 minutes. This is better than just straight monotonous cardio since it keeps your energy strain changing and is more effective at burning fat.

I recently changed my workout to circuit training to tone down and get more definition. This is as follows:

MWF: 15-20 min abs training, followed by circuit training which is one set of 10 reps for each body part followed by a 30 second rest and moving onto the next set of 10 reps for the next body part:
Chest
Legs
Back
Biceps
Shoulders
Legs
Back
Triceps
Shoulders
Legs

After that, rest about 2 minutes, and repeat the circuit again 2 more times.

TTh: Interval cardio for 20-30 min.

Of course, good diet is essential: 6 meals a day, about 3 hours apart.
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 05:53 PM   #30
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I've been trying this "pyramid" routine for two weeks now and I've got some questions? I'll give an example of curls. Say I'll start out at 15 reps of 15 lbs, then 12 reps of 25 lbs, 10 reps of 40 lbs, 5 reps of 45 lbs.

When I'm doing the 15@15, this feels like a regular endurance exercise. However, when I get all the way down to 45lbs, I can harldly even do this. Am I doing these right? It really doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing much.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #31
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I am actually in the process of training for an event. I too have recently taken it more seriously... I have shoulder problems due to baseball (was a pitcher back in the day), so I do have the tendency to stick to machines and stray away from the free weights. I occasionally do have it give out on me... I also am not training entirely for strength being as the event I am taking part in is not a strength race...

so here goes my workout...

A-Day workout

Brisk run to the gym (1.5mi)

Lat pull downs - 4 sets (10 reps, 8, 6, 6 and slow release)

Curls - 4 sets (same reps)

Tricep push - (unique machine, same 4 sets)

Pectorals - 4 sets

Leisure jog back home (1.5 miles)

B-day workout

5 mile run and adding a mile every 2 weeks

Sundays

Long run. right now at 8, goal is to be at 12 by the end of summer.

Friday night... 12oz curls

People think Im insane for doing this, but in all fairness, they are probably right...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #32
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

gosh all you americans gotta be fit huh
i dont work out at all, but here's my list
1-3 sit up daily (when i wake up from my sleep and gotta take a piss or shower)
a few average lifts..lifting my textbooks, food, drinks, bags etc.
and a mix of brisk walk and jog when i'm late for class..
wooohhhooo i am that lazy
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #33
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapriadi
gosh all you americans gotta be fit huh
i dont work out at all, but here's my list
1-3 sit up daily (when i wake up from my sleep and gotta take a piss or shower)
a few average lifts..lifting my textbooks, food, drinks, bags etc.
and a mix of brisk walk and jog when i'm late for class..
wooohhhooo i am that lazy

Your pretty young arent you... Metabolism is in your favor... Just wait until later...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 08:41 PM   #34
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I've been trying this "pyramid" routine for two weeks now and I've got some questions?

Am I doing these right? It really doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing much.
Hey, Sharp buddy - read SC's post in greater detail!

The pyramid scheme isn't doing something like 10reps/30lbs -> 8/35 -> 6/40 -> 4/45 -> done.

It's more like: 10 reps of 35. 6 reps of 50. 10 reps of 35. So you basically build up weight to the top of the pyramid, reaching 'max weight' with just a low number of reps and then 'cool down' using lighter weights with increased reps...basically leading towards the lighter weights you began with.
      04-24-2006, 10:32 PM   #35
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Your pretty young arent you... Metabolism is in your favor... Just wait until later...
i'm 20 and i'm shaped real good...round-shaped

but yeah i know i need to work out, my belly's stickin out and all..its disgusting argh!! i love the gym, lots of chicks there but i'm just too lazy lol..maybe next year when i move to the west coast
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2006, 02:03 AM   #36
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Hey, Sharp buddy - read SC's post in greater detail!

The pyramid scheme isn't doing something like 10reps/30lbs -> 8/35 -> 6/40 -> 4/45 -> done.

It's more like: 10 reps of 35. 6 reps of 50. 10 reps of 35. So you basically build up weight to the top of the pyramid, reaching 'max weight' with just a low number of reps and then 'cool down' using lighter weights with increased reps...basically leading towards the lighter weights you began with.
Yup that's pretty much it. Sharp, the key to remember is, you start out with manageable weight, then increase and finally increase to the max you can manage (for 3 to 4 reps) pushing the point of fatigue, then decrease the weight down. The key is, you're forcing and pushing the muscle to the limit in the max set. If you do it right, you'll see good result (also you might want someone to spot you when you're doing the max set) Have you also try doing the HIIT cardio I stated before? That's the one that'll help cut down bodyfat in shorter workout time then regular cardio
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #37
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkhan
My regular routine is:

1st day: Back (Upper and lower) and abs
2nd day: Chest and biceps
3rd day: Shoulders and triceps
4th day: Legs and abs
5th day: Rest

Repeat, and second time with 2 days of rest instead of one.

I do about 4-5 exercises per body part, 3-4 sets each, pyramid sets - 1st set 12-14 reps, 2nd set increase weight to only manage about 10 reps, 3rd set increase weight again to only manage about 8 reps, and 4th set increase again to manage only max 6 reps.

I would change my exercises every 3 sessions or so. This helped me bulk up real fast. 2-3 times out of the week, I'd do interval training after the workout for about 20-30 minutes. This is better than just straight monotonous cardio since it keeps your energy strain changing and is more effective at burning fat.

I recently changed my workout to circuit training to tone down and get more definition. This is as follows:

MWF: 15-20 min abs training, followed by circuit training which is one set of 10 reps for each body part followed by a 30 second rest and moving onto the next set of 10 reps for the next body part:
Chest
Legs
Back
Biceps
Shoulders
Legs
Back
Triceps
Shoulders
Legs

After that, rest about 2 minutes, and repeat the circuit again 2 more times.

TTh: Interval cardio for 20-30 min.

Of course, good diet is essential: 6 meals a day, about 3 hours apart.
Doesn't it burn out your biceps to do them the day after back day?
(...and triceps to do them the day after chest day?)
I have gone with Push Day (Chest/Tris/Ant-med delt) and Pull Day (Back/Bis/post delt) so as to allow recovery time. Abs get thrown in whenever they're recovered from last time. The main problem that I have is that not all coordinated parts seem to recover at the same pace.
Appreciate 0