E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Getting in shape for summer!

04-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Cool Getting in shape for summer!

I'm the kind of guy that works out all year long, but now that the weather is getting warm again here in the Northeast, it's time for me to get in even better shape.

Anyone have any interesting lifting/exercise routines they'd like to share? I'll go first.

Weights
I generally like to work my pectorals (bench press-4 sets of 7 reps @ 170 lbs), bicepts (arm curls-4 sets of 10 reps @ 45 lbs per arm), tricepts (tricept machine-4 sets of 10 reps @ 45 lbs per arm), and shoulders (regular pull-down bar, 4 sets of 10 reps @ 90 lbs.) twice a week.

Abs
As for abs, I've been doing a modified-type of crunch. I lie flat on the floor, raise my arms, but are parallel with my body. I do the standard crunch for my upper abs, but I also raise my legs to a "sitting" position, and then back down flat, which works the lower abs. I usually do about 2-3 sets of 30-40 reps of this, but it does get tiring quickly.

Also for abs, I put a standard wieght bar (not olympic; no weights) on my shoulders and twist my core to the left and to the right about 1000 times twice a week, which surprisingly tightens the "lovehandles" without much effort (you've got to just keep twisting for about 15 minutes).

Cardio
Lastly, I jog about 6 miles a week-4 miles one day at about 6.5 mph, with an incline position form 1-5 (not sure of units...inches?) which takes me about 40 minutes to run 4 miles. Another day, I'll run 2 miles on a flat position (no incline) at about 8.0 mph, for speed training.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

wish I could stay committed like you. Im thinking of getting in shape for the summer too. gotta go buy some weights now. lol I sold by bowflex a year ago and stopped going to the gym last summer. Now I only have a few sets of dumbbells. Working out makes you feel so good about yourself. I kinda missed that. hahaha
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
This is what i do:

3x a week ill hit the gym. While im there i do about 25-30 mins of cardio. Ill alternate btwn stairmaster, walking up a hill and ellpitcal machine. The stair master i do at a level 8-10, the hill is usually at a 12 incline, and the ellipitcal is always between level 12-14 (hurts!).

Then i willl go to abs. I do the roman chair (its the one where you kick your legs up to your chest about 3x for 13 reps). Ill lay on a declined bench, hold the handle, and kick my legs up while lifting my butt (i do this 3-4x for 20 reps.) I also do crunches, bicycles, and leg lifts on a mat. Then i grab a 10lb weight and do side bends.

Arms- I hate working out arms, but ill do push ups, and pull ups. I also do tricep dips while placing a 10lb weight in my lap. I do this 3x for about 13 reps.

Legs- If im not at the gym i will do walking lunges while holding 20lbs. It hurtttts! I walk up and down my entire yard about 3-4x. At the gym i do leg press (50lbs 3x for about 12 reps). I do inner and outer thighs (65lbs 3x each for about 15 reps).

If anyone knows anything else, let me know!
      04-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey, sharp - you ignored my question about what your comments were on the Nike Free 5.0's I bought a couple weeks ago. What do you think of those for running? What do you use for a quick run? Oh, you run indoors or outdoors?

@ Bella: lunges and squats are actually quite underrated and not a lot of folk know that they're pretty big workouts. So to you for taking them on. Are you trying to get in shape? Then lower your sets and up your reps!
      04-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have the nike frees, not sure how good they are for your feet but they are light as a feather and make it alot easier to run.
      04-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Squawks
United_States
Rep

They are rough as hell on your feet but then again, they make your feet stronger. Come on, runner Sharp! Critique these babies!
      04-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks

@ Bella: lunges and squats are actually quite underrated and not a lot of folk know that they're pretty big workouts. So to you for taking them on. Are you trying to get in shape? Then lower your sets and up your reps!
I wanna get firm and tone. Im skinny naturally, so i dont want to lose weight just wanna shape up whatever fat i have now.
      04-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, sharp - you ignored my question about what your comments were on the Nike Free 5.0's I bought a couple weeks ago. What do you think of those for running? What do you use for a quick run? Oh, you run indoors or outdoors?
Oh, sorry squawks! I usually don't check a lot of old posts if I see they aren't "bolded". But I notice this isn't reliable all the time because when I turn the computer on and off and then come back on here, a lot of times the new posts won't be bolded.

Anyway, Nike 5.0s? Actually, these will be my next pair of running shoes!

I'm trying to get maybe another month out of my old ones, but I don't know it that's going to work. I've seen these Nike 5.0s and I reall like them. They seem pretty solid and light. And the bottoms are constructed much better than the ones I have right now.

I've had Nike shox for about a year and a half (I'm actually surprised they've lasted this long) and they've worked out great. But the wear is getting way too noticable now. The shocks broke on the one side, and the rubber part of the shoe (the bottoms) are starting to peel away from the rest of the show. And this is getting really annoying everytime I run.

They say these new Nike 5.0s are supposed to simulate running barefoot, which is better for your feet. What do you think about them?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Squawks
United_States
Rep

I ran a few times (1.5 miles a day, *FAST*) and they're good. They don't pamper your feet like the other thicker, more cushioned shoes. Like you said, the bottoms are constructed in a fancy little way so as to permite the shoes to really flex/bend when you're running - it flexes so easily it feels like there's no effort put in to bend the shoes while running. So all in all, it stimulates running on barefoot as close as possible (except there is a cusion, obviously) - running barefoot in real life outside on the sidewalk will hurt like no other...or so at least the last time I tried!

Not sure how long the wear is but if you can land certain pairs of 5.0's on sale for like $65 (I guess the gray color is unpopular).
      04-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I keep trying to get myself to excercise more but I can't seem to get past the weekend warrior status and work out all through the week. Just got a new little toy though.
http://www.powerball-gyros.com/index.htm
It works surprisingly good. I thought it was some gimmicky thing at first but was surprised.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure how long the wear is but if you can land certain pairs of 5.0's on sale for like $65 (I guess the gray color is unpopular).
Ahh, you know what Squawks, I think I'm going to go out tonight and get myself a new pair of these Nike 5.0s! I was going to wait until another month, but screw it. I'll buy myself an early Easter present! The more I'm looking at these, the more I want to try them out. I never really had a pair of lightweight running shoes.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Ok, everyone please look at this machine:

www.fastexercise.com (streaming video at www.fastexercise.com/media)

At first I was highly doubting the believability of this machine, but after watching repeated shows on it, reading up on the material, it seems to actually work. Goddamn though it costs $14k!!! Worth it if it actually does what it says it does in only 4 minutes a day.
      04-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Machines suck. It's all about free weights.
      04-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I'm the kind of guy that works out all year long, but now that the weather is getting warm again here in the Northeast, it's time for me to get in even better shape.

Anyone have any interesting lifting/exercise routines they'd like to share? I'll go first.

Weights
I generally like to work my pectorals (bench press-4 sets of 7 reps @ 170 lbs), bicepts (arm curls-4 sets of 10 reps @ 45 lbs per arm), tricepts (tricept machine-4 sets of 10 reps @ 45 lbs per arm), and shoulders (regular pull-down bar, 4 sets of 10 reps @ 90 lbs.) twice a week.

Abs
As for abs, I've been doing a modified-type of crunch. I lie flat on the floor, raise my arms, but are parallel with my body. I do the standard crunch for my upper abs, but I also raise my legs to a "sitting" position, and then back down flat, which works the lower abs. I usually do about 2-3 sets of 30-40 reps of this, but it does get tiring quickly.

Also for abs, I put a standard wieght bar (not olympic; no weights) on my shoulders and twist my core to the left and to the right about 1000 times twice a week, which surprisingly tightens the "lovehandles" without much effort (you've got to just keep twisting for about 15 minutes).

Cardio
Lastly, I jog about 6 miles a week-4 miles one day at about 6.5 mph, with an incline position form 1-5 (not sure of units...inches?) which takes me about 40 minutes to run 4 miles. Another day, I'll run 2 miles on a flat position (no incline) at about 8.0 mph, for speed training.

Sounds like a pretty good rountine, however, if you want better result, these type of rountine will eventually level itself out and the gain/result will diminish. From a serious training perspective (if you want to be even more define) you need to maximize and alternate your workout rountine so your body will continue to change and adapt. Anyway, what I am trying to say is, you need to hit it hard and where it counts. Example would be, if you hit bench press, do a pryramid set up (1 set, lighter weight/more reps, then top out with your max weight/low rep and back down to lower weight) this will keep your muscle at high intensity. Also try not to do the same rountine more then 2 to 3 weeks. If you do bench press for 3 weeks, switch it to freeweight with different range of motion (for couple of weeks). This will keep your muscle in "guessing" stage so it won't learn to adapt to a fixed rountine and therefore you'll benefit from better result. Also, make sure you do not train too long, this is a common mistake by most people, the max amount of time you should train with weight is about an hour or 45mins. If you do more then that, you'll actually have more of a negative impact then positive. Also, if you want to get more lean, after weight lifting, do 30 mins of light to moderate cardio, reason behind that is when you lift, your body is burning carb as fuel, so you never really lose bodyfat while lifting, but if you do light/moderate cardio after lifting, your body will burn bodyfat reserve as energy (since your carb level is depleted from hard lifting)With this method, you're getting the most maximize level of workout then just lifting or just cardio.

In terms of Cardio, set aside 3 days a week and change the way you do cardio. Instead of doing steady cardio for an hour or two, which will yield lower result; ever wonder why you see big fat lady on a bike for hour or two without ever slimming down? (Once again,it goes back to the whole rountine+cardio burning) Try doing HIIT cardio (High Intensity Interval training) it'll actually save you time and in the process yield better result (I've lost 20lbs leaning out in 1 1/2 month doing this) You start off by doing 5 mins warm up, then afterward switch to the highest and fastest level you can go for one min (you want to acheive 90% max heart rate on high level), then one min of slow/easy, then high/fast again, keep alternating this for about 8-15 mins (depend on your level) following by 5 mins of cool down. If you're doing it right, I guranteed you, you'll sweat more then you ever did doing 1 to 2 hrs of moderate cardio. Once again this all go back to throwing your body off in order for the body to self adjust with better result. Well, I hope this will help you with your workout if you choose to give it a try. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I got more tips that might help if you're interested.

P.S. Also, diet and food intake is probably the other 50% in maintaining the best shape you can get
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 02:23 PM   #15
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey, awesome advice ScBlacksunshine!

Well you seem to really be up on exercise, so let me ask you this: Every once in a while, I'll actually miss a few days to a week of exercise, because I'm too busy with work, too tired, or whatever. However, when I come back from, say a week off, I notice that I'm like superman. I can bench 170 with 10 reps, 4 sets with absolutely no problem.

But like I said, I like to do it at least twice a week. So if I do bench press on Monday, I'll try to do that same routine on Thursday (170 with 10 reps, 4 sets) and I'll notice I physically can't...at best I can only go 6-7 reps with only 3 sets. Even if I drop to 160, I still won't be able to do it like I did that Monday. Am I missing some kind of rest part of this, or does it have to do your muscles "learning" the routine kind of thing?

Also, that's great advice for running. I'm not really looking to lose weight or anything (I just enjoy running) but even so I think I'll try that HITT routine you were talking about. I see all the personal trainers at the gym instruct people looking to lose weight to using this technique. The problem is I don't know where to start or where my max would be. I'm definitely going to start out slow at first because I don't want to over-do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #16
porscheneer
Porscheneer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

Quote:

Weights

Abs

Cardio
Dude sounds like a good Routine.

But for Triceps try using the preacher bar and do French deads or nose cruncher while lying at the edge of a bench. And when you do the Lat pull down cable for the triceps use the rope attachment and twist out at the end of the extension you will feel a tingle.

This also increases your bench after 10 days and cuts the shit out of the horse shoe in your tri's because you hit a different muscle bulkhead. Try it different things work you gotta find your own groove.

porscheneer@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #17
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Hey guys, am i doin alright??! haha

tonight pilates, and cardio
      04-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #18
diesel007
Not Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325I

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
I ride my bike to get in shape, because I love exercising outside. I hate gyms too many meat heads and nasty sweaty equipment.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #19
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Hey guys, am i doin alright??! haha

tonight pilates, and cardio

Hehe, I'll come over and personally give you a free training session j/k Anyway, you're doing good, but I notice you said you wanted to firm up, if that's the case, you might want to do a little bit more weight, and do the HITT cardio, it'll defintely help burn out fat more then anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #20
huchung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Weights

Abs

Cardio
You have to work out your back and legs. Your back is pretty crucial; paired with your abs, they make the core to hold your upper body and lower body. Your upper back also stretches out your chest, so you dont walk around concaved. For backs, I recommend doing pull-backs for mid back, pull-downs for upper back, and back extension for lower back (most important area). For legs, squats and lunges are the quickest and most effective routines.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #21
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Machines suck. It's all about free weights.
Agree, they help you like 75%, What you can do on machine, say 200lb military press, you wont be able to pull that off with a bar and 45s

Dont know about Bowlex thought
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #22
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Hey, awesome advice ScBlacksunshine!

Well you seem to really be up on exercise, so let me ask you this: Every once in a while, I'll actually miss a few days to a week of exercise, because I'm too busy with work, too tired, or whatever. However, when I come back from, say a week off, I notice that I'm like superman. I can bench 170 with 10 reps, 4 sets with absolutely no problem.

But like I said, I like to do it at least twice a week. So if I do bench press on Monday, I'll try to do that same routine on Thursday (170 with 10 reps, 4 sets) and I'll notice I physically can't...at best I can only go 6-7 reps with only 3 sets. Even if I drop to 160, I still won't be able to do it like I did that Monday. Am I missing some kind of rest part of this, or does it have to do your muscles "learning" the routine kind of thing?

Also, that's great advice for running. I'm not really looking to lose weight or anything (I just enjoy running) but even so I think I'll try that HITT routine you were talking about. I see all the personal trainers at the gym instruct people looking to lose weight to using this technique. The problem is I don't know where to start or where my max would be. I'm definitely going to start out slow at first because I don't want to over-do it.
Thanks for the compliment. I try to work out 5 days a week. I am pretty big on fitness and eating right. I am pretty build, but haven't gotten to the competitive bodybuilder level yet (not yet willing to eat 6 times a day and protein heavy diet) With that said, what you describled above makes perfect sense. The reason you're feeling stronger after not working out for a week or two is because your muscle has fully recover after about a week or so. That's also the reason why if you workout the same muscle group two to three days later you won't lift as much and won't really see any gain. Same principle apply to why you shouldn't lift more then an hour at the gym, because your muscle will tire out and reduce any real benefit. When I was younger I made all the common mistakes (working out too long, eating wrong, lift with bad form...etc) and never saw any gain, but later on, after doing my research and talking to the right people, I picked up some useful info along the way and really helped my progression and strength. Anyway, the most important thing to remember is intensity/rest/form. Make sure when you're curling, you're doing it with the best form and avoid bending your back, moving your shoulder..etc. Also, try maxing out as often as you can. If you can bench 170 this week, try pushing for 180 2 weeks later, then try 190 down the road. This way, your muscle will have the room to grow, instead of used to the same rountine with same weight. One last thing, instead of working the same muscle group twice a week, try to train hard, but only do it once a week, this way the muscle can give it its best and still have time to recover and push for better result. To give you a guidline, this is what I try to follow in a week. (Lately I've been slacking more though )

Monday: Chest and Bicep w/low cardio after(pryramid low/high/max/low..4 to 5 sets)

Tuesday: HITT cardio

Wednesday: Shoulders and Legs (same rountine as above)

Thursday: HITT cardio

Friday: Rest

Sat: Triceps and back (same rountine as above)

Sun: Cardio or rest..

I can get more into details if you like, but above is pretty much a basic guideline and always remember to switch it up once in a while. Also, supplement will help you along the way (not talking steroid here :P ) if you need to know which one, let me know.
Appreciate 0