E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What should i do??

03-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
What should i do??

Ok, so i got accepted into Monmouth Uni, Hofstra, and a few other colleges back east. But Monmouth was my #1 choice. The advisor called me a month ago and told me that i was accepted and that i was receiving $4500 scholarship also. So then 2 days later, she called me back and said that they wanted to see my spring grades before they make the final decision. But not to worry, as long as i dont get any D's im in. And they were still going to complete the admissions process. However, its been 3 weeks and i didnt receive anything. So i called her again, and she told me that they are putting the process on hold till my grades come out. Thats not till june! I told her its unfair for me, esp since i live in San diego. I cant move my life in a month.. i need to prepare myself soon. Plus, The other schools need to know by May 1st. She kept explaining that my admissions wasnt reversed, but that it is unusual for them to do this, cause it puts us both in awkward positions. I told her i still wanted my credits to be evaulated so she put in the request ASAP. Even though she told me 2 weeks ago they were being evaluated. What am i supposed to do? I dont want to be screwed in june, cause then it will be too late to go anywhere else, but at the same time, she said as long as i pass. Ok i can do that.. but what gauntees that?? How do i know they wont back out.. they are confusing me big time.
      03-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey, Bella - didn't I tell you not to trip? Monmouth is your 1st pick, period. So stick with it.

It's her job to inform you that you can and potentially will be rejected if your June grades come around and you're slapped with D's and F's. But if you're doing good with even C's - I am sure they will still take you in. Even if they reject you - the world of admissions is so lax that you can talk to the dean yourself and get in (if you even have a remote, gregarious attitude).

P.S. - what say you we hit up the dog park this weekend? Bring a friend so you won't be a 3rd wheel. But don't bring Mr. Tongue.
      03-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
OK so the advisor told me that my packet had been sent out (this was 2 weeks ago) She said because the codes were ready. She admitted that she called me too quickly to tell me im in. And my acceptance letter has been not sent because its on hold. So i dont have it in writing that im in. Only the phone call. So i told her, then im not in?.. she said no you are.. but its on hold. I dont wanna be on hold esp with my education. I want somehting in writing, but they cant do that. So..?
      03-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Ask for the phone number for the dean of undergraduate admissions - perhaps the chair/dean of the communications department. Speak with him/her directly.

If she says your acceptance letter has been printed and all that, I'd wait.

Would you rather go to Hofstra and spend the next 2-3 years there when you could have went to Monmouth? Maybe you have to put a little more faith in this advisor and trust her word...but ask her how long it will be on hold and also tell her you have a May 1 deadline with Hofstra.

Or, ask her if it's possible for them to send you a "conditional" admission letter where it specifically states that you need to maintain good academic standing in order to be officially admitted.

EDIT: Also ask Hofstra if it is possible for them to extend the deadline for you - tell them you need more time to sort out your priorities and choices.
      03-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
she keeps flip flopping on telling me that im in. She says no ur in, then she says, well your not reversed, but i cant say for sure. Im like huh!?
      03-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Ask for the phone number for the dean of undergraduate admissions - perhaps the chair/dean of the communications department. Speak with him/her directly.

If she says your acceptance letter has been printed and all that, I'd wait.

Would you rather go to Hofstra and spend the next 2-3 years there when you could have went to Monmouth? Maybe you have to put a little more faith in this advisor and trust her word...but ask her how long it will be on hold and also tell her you have a May 1 deadline with Hofstra.

Or, ask her if it's possible for them to send you a "conditional" admission letter where it specifically states that you need to maintain good academic standing in order to be officially admitted.

EDIT: Also ask Hofstra if it is possible for them to extend the deadline for you - tell them you need more time to sort out your priorities and choices.
I told her about hofstra, and i told how i need to know by May 1st. She said that my admissions is on hold till my spring grades which is june. So basically i cant accept hofstra, but at the same time, im scared not too, and then monmouth turn their back. Especially since they arent giving me anything in writing.
      03-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Then don't trip and trust her then. You're in.

Maintain at least C's and you'll get your letter. Reject Hofstra during the end of April. If you don't get a letter from Monmouth, contact the dean directly.
      03-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
Squawks
United_States
Rep

You'll be a little anxious and nervous over the next couple months...but just maintain good grades and I'm sure that advisor will stick to her words and have that letter sent out to you.
      03-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
You'll be a little anxious and nervous over the next couple months...but just maintain good grades and I'm sure that advisor will stick to her words and have that letter sent out to you.
But i want that in writing, telling me that as long as i get good grades (C or better) Im in. So they cant back out on me for some reason in june
      03-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
Squawks
United_States
Rep

I'm sure they won't back out. If they do, just talk to the dean. But they won't back out - where's your faith in human trust?
      03-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #11
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

I would put a deposit in for hte other school just to be safe.

Right now I can't decide between schools and I'm afraid if my grades all, they'll revoke acceptance, so I"m just going to go and put money down on each of the schools for safety.

Its better to be safe than sorry good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm sure they won't back out. If they do, just talk to the dean. But they won't back out - where's your faith in human trust?
Well i have no faith since they wont give me anything in writing, since they wont admit my acceptance, since she tells me that she is confused... I dont feel confidence with them
      03-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroutte
I would put a deposit in for hte other school just to be safe.

Right now I can't decide between schools and I'm afraid if my grades all, they'll revoke acceptance, so I"m just going to go and put money down on each of the schools for safety.

Its better to be safe than sorry good luck!
You cant do that. I was told your not allowed to accept more than 1 school or you can be revoked from both
      03-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
Squawks
United_States
Rep

So the admission offer won't be sent out until mid-june when your grades come out in June?

That's pretty late - most undergrad schools will have offers sent out Feb-Mar.

If you really want to be safe, you can accept Hofstra and later deny them upon accepting Monmouth once the letter comes in. You might get in trouble, however - so make sure you read the fine print for any penalties or fees you might involve yourself in.

EDIT: It's New York and New Jersey - maybe the rules there are different...who knows?

EDIT EDIT: Monmouth probably will find out that you accepted Hofstra beforehand and later rejected them in favor for Monmouth...in which that would be quite unethical and the deans may be involved politically. That's why you can't accept more than 1 school at the same time and especially in professional/graduate schools.
      03-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #15
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
So the admission offer won't be sent out until mid-june when your grades come out in June?

That's pretty late - most undergrad schools will have offers sent out Feb-Mar.

If you really want to be safe, you can accept Hofstra and later deny them upon accepting Monmouth once the letter comes in. You might get in trouble, however - so make sure you read the fine print for any penalties or fees you might involve yourself in.

EDIT: It's New York and New Jersey - maybe the rules there are different...who knows?

She said they cannot send me the acceptance letter cause of the codes..etc. And i kept telling her, if i was accepted then why not?? She said cause its on hold. I said well most universities still go through w/ the process and later can deny due to grades. But ive never heard of them not doing ANYTHING until june
      03-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #16
Squawks
United_States
Rep

If they are not going to do ANYTHING until june, then that is real shady.

But hey, if you go to Hofstra it's all good. New York is a nice place - I was in Manhattan west side for 3 days last Monday and I looooooooooove it. The city doesn't sleep and the subway system is faster than I thought. Woooooohooo.
      03-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #17
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
If they are not going to do ANYTHING until june, then that is real shady.

But hey, if you go to Hofstra it's all good. New York is a nice place - I was in Manhattan west side for 3 days last Monday and I looooooooooove it. The city doesn't sleep and the subway system is faster than I thought. Woooooohooo.
Yea too bad that its in long island.

So wtf! Im mad.. yes im in, then no im not, then yes you are, then no confirmation?... Should i go behind her back and talk to the dean?
      03-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #18
Squawks
United_States
Rep

You're not going behind her back if you talk to the dean. Call your advisor and tell her you'd like to consult with the dean. The dean will sort things out and trust me - if the dean gives you his/her word, those are words which they will not flake on.
      03-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #19
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
You're not going behind her back if you talk to the dean. Call your advisor and tell her you'd like to consult with the dean. The dean will sort things out and trust me - if the dean gives you his/her word, those are words which they will not flake on.
Yea i feel bad i called her 2x already, So maybe ill wait till tomorrow. But i just dont understand why i cant get it in writing, she even admitted that she called me to quickly. Well, shit buddy.. find out the deal before telling students theyre in.
      03-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #20
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Well, I'm sympathetic for your anxiety and stress. Hopefully it'll get sorted out once you talk with the dean - be aware that the dean is usually quite busy so if she says the dean is away in a meeting or busy, at least get the phone number so you can talk to the dean directly later.
      03-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #21
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
You cant do that. I was told your not allowed to accept more than 1 school or you can be revoked from both

You can, and SHOULD do this. You can even try to negotiate financial aid between the two schools and try to "get the best offer".

Anyways...

Accept the Hofstra offer near the end of April (or a little bit before the deadline), and hold out for Monmouth. If you are FORMALLY accepted in Monmouth in June, simply inform Hofstra that your financial situation changed and will not be able to attend...

It is unfair for you to have to deal with the shit that Monmouth is dishing out. You are left no other option.

But keep in mind that if you are receiving this much crap before you attend the school, imagine what it will be like once you are there....

Not implying anything...but just be informed...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #22
thedean786
A Herald of Doom
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Fancy Car

It's your future and you're the one who has sole control of it if you want to. If the advisor said that you are in and they are just waiting for your final grades then I would take her word for it. When May 1st rolls around just say yes to one of the other schools so that at least you have something in case - God forbid -something else comes up and they keep dragging their feet at Hofstra. When you do finally get the letter just give the other schools a ring and say hey I'm sorry...you're not the first to do that and I'm sure you won't be the last.

On a personal note I literally turned around and drove back home halfway to my second choice when I got the call that I had gotten in to my first choice for college. This stuff happens you just need to stay on top of everything and not let it get to you...

Good Luck