E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > This Thread is only for Z4 Drivers still having 296 Wheel Crack Issues

02-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
This Thread is only for Z4 Drivers still having 296 Wheel Crack Issues

To much has been said about this 296 Cracked wheel issue. I wonder how long it will take for BMW to stand up to the bar so to speak in North America and offer replacement to Z4 Drivers that experience cracked wheels like BMW has done in Korea ... see thread below Dated 04-13-2011 Beware style 296 wheels.

Have people in North America not paid the same hard earned dollars then people in Korea? Is it not time to offer replacement wheels to Z4 drivers having 296 wheel cracks?

The facts are that A) 296 wheels are the ones that crack B) they only seam to be cracking in the rear and C) Other Z4 wheels are okay.

If you have a 296 wheel horror story to tell and share your dealer experience why not go to the Dealer Review and add your story right here, perhaps someday you might get a replacement wheel or haven forbid your money back ---> CLICK to Open the Dealer Review Link

My brief story is right here This is why I drive an M3 without RFT

Username: Rolf-Dieter
Region: Idaho USA
Dealership Name: Idaho Falls BMW
Sales or Service: Service
Name of Salesperson/Advisor: Service and Parts Manager
Overall Experience (1 lowest 5 highest): -1
Work Performed/Attempted: see comments below
Recommended? (Yes or No): NO
Additional Comments: While on a US road trip last summer with my then new Z4 35i I experienced a flat on my rear driver site wheel. The flat was due to a crack on my wheel. I was told by this dealership: The US and Canadian Warranty are not the same (this turned out later not to be true) and I only have two options open to me, 1) Be towed to the nearest Canadian dealership by road side assistance or 2) Order a new wheel and have them ship the old one to Canada for warranty claims.

I opted to order a new wheel. Once the dealership received the new wheel (BMW Style 296) they said, sorry we don't change wheels this is done at the tire shop. So I followed the Parts Manager to the tire shop. He introduced me and then promptly left. The shop people there went to work on my old wheel using tire irons and actually damaged my wheel (BMW Canada later declared the wheel bend). While in this tire shop I asked all other wheels to be checked for cracks, this was done and the passenger rear wheel was also found having 2 hairline cracks. I decided to drive home very carefully (3000 KM) with the two hairline cracks.

All this dealership did for me is a) put air in my tires. b) order a new wheel. and c) gave me wrong information about the BMW warranty.

If you live near this dealership avoid it like the plague

The final "Resting Place" of the wheel that I had to drag all the way home in my then 2 seater now a $700- Garden Hose Holder can be seen below, keeping my winter cover company.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

you 'll have to read the last issue 0f C&D it seems that the wheels of the latest f10 5 series has join the 296's club.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z428i

The article in Car and Driver should get BMW's attention. I would think that article would be read at the board room level.
Appreciate 0