E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Tell Me about BMW motorcycles

10-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
XS4
slave to the dark side
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Tell Me about BMW motorcycles

Don't know much about bikes, but I rarely see people riding BMW bikes in the US. Why? I probably see more Ducati's. What sort of rep do BMW bikes have? Pluses? Minuses?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Fortbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

It depends on what you are looking for. I've rented a BMW 1150RT on two different occasions for bike trips through Europe. It was a very comfortable bike and I would classify it as a "sport cruiser". My personal bike is a Harley Davidson Road King, which is a "cruiser". On the other end of the spectrum, you have the Ducati's and Japanese Crotch Rockets which are sport bikes and all about speed and performance.

The only downside to BMW's in the US is a limited number of dealers if you break down on the road. The same holds true for Harley's in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

I've been looking to replace my Hayabusa with something slower, more sensible and a little more comfortable. Over the last few months I've ridden all sorts of bikes and one of the bikes that really got my attention was the BMW Rockster. It's an R1150R with some window dressing. I rode it and while it is way down on power from what I am used to the way it handles and the character of the Boxer Twin is really entertaining.

The Problem is that unless you really GOTTA HAVE a BMW, the price for what you get is a little hard to justify. Yes BMWs will run forever, but when you get similar or better performance in just about every way from all manner of Japanese Bikes for less money??? You have to REALLY like riding that BMW...

As for the Rep? Same as Harley in that they do tend to attract older riders, Riders looking for long lasting products with some style and character. Harley, you are buying a lifestyle appliance as much as you are buying a bike. BMW, doesn't really have much of an image, much of a cache here in the States.

Right now I am looking at a H-D FatBob, an R1200R, A Moto-Guzzi Griso, and of all things a Suzuki V-Strom. All are capable bikes, all will last for years and years with little care and feeding. But I'll tell ya, as much as I like the looks of the Moto Guzzi and Harley, and the Ride of the BMW? The V-Strom 1000 puts a big silly grin on my face every time for half... OK Almost Half the money. $9k instead of $15-16K for the other options.

SO, What to do, what to do???? I dunno...

I don't really want another Japanese Bike, but when it comes to value for dollar? It's damn hard to argue with.
      10-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
What's weird is the past few months I have been seeing quite a few BMW bike's.

I have never riden one but just from looking at them, you can tell they are ment for the long ride/cruising type. Don't get me wrong I saw one that was really mean looking and sporty and even the big cruiser looking ones have some pep.

Also besides the really sporty looking one the rest of the bikes seemed to be riden by older males. Which makes sense because I knew these bikes would not be cheap and are not highly known.

Also when people say hey nice beamer they will actually for once be using the right terminology.
      10-21-2007, 03:27 AM   #5
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Just go watch the new Resident Evil..

-Nathan
      10-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

expensive and not well known. good if you want a cruiser...but most people in the states would rather have the flashy stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
expensive and not well known. good if you want a cruiser...but most people in the states would rather have the flashy stuff.
Umm, BMW Motorcycles are pretty common place. Not on every street corner, but not a mystery, and really not too expensive, just more money than the Japanese offerings.

You don't know "MOST" people in the States, and I'd challenge you to name what "Flashy" bikes "MOST" people would rather have.

Cruiser? "Good if you want a Cruiser?" It's the one thing BMW really hasn't pulled off successfully, sounds like you know dick about Motorcycles as well...
      10-21-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Umm, BMW Motorcycles are pretty common place. Not on every street corner, but not a mystery, and really not too expensive, just more money than the Japanese offerings.

You don't know "MOST" people in the States, and I'd challenge you to name what "Flashy" bikes "MOST" people would rather have.

Cruiser? "Good if you want a Cruiser?" It's the one thing BMW really hasn't pulled off successfully, sounds like you know dick about Motorcycles as well...
I agree with what climber said.. They aren't very well known, and I have probably only seen two or three on the road in my lifetime.

Most people would prefer something else.. People either go all out sports, or all out cruiser. You either see a Harley on the road, or a crotch rocket.. I hardly ever see a mix of the two. But when I do see those ugly mixes with the large bug shield, it is usually an old man driving it, that doesn't give a damn about his appearance because he is so old.

Don't know about what most people would like to have in the harley category..
I think most people would like to have a 'Yamaha YZF-R1', or a 'Ducati 1098' though. (or something a long those lines from a different maker)

I personally would want a 'Ducati 1098 S' over everything else..

-Nathan