E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Cars crushed in street racing crackdown

06-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cars crushed in street racing crackdown

Quote:
Cars crushed in street racing crackdown

By GREG RISLING, Associated Press Writer Wed Jun 20, 6:52 PM ET

RIALTO, Calif. - Charles Hoang winced when the whoosh went out of the tires. Daniel Maldonado took pictures with a digital camera as glass exploded and rained down to the ground.

The cars the teens had so meticulously souped up and tricked out were crushed Wednesday as part of a crackdown on illegal street racing in Southern California.

"That's my heart, my dream," said Hoang, 18, of Chino, who was surrounded by friends as his 1998 Acura Integra was put into a compactor. "That's my girlfriend, the love of my life. The cops can crush my car, but they can't crush my memories."

Authorities destroyed six vehicles Wednesday at an auto graveyard, hoping would-be racers think again after looking at the mashed machines. Illegal street racing is responsible for or suspected in 13 deaths in Southern California since March.

The thrill-seeking, adrenaline-pumping activity is rampant in Riverside and San Bernardino counties east of Los Angeles where rows of tract homes line wide streets that attract racers.

Nearly 1,000 people — drivers and spectators — have been arrested for investigation of street racing activities over the past two years in San Bernardino County alone. Police need a court order to destroy the cars. They must prove that the serial or identification numbers on a vehicle or its parts are removed, altered or destroyed.

Police said they have managed to reduce illegal racing and related fatal collisions, but know the underground hobby still thrives.

"We are making a dent," said Ontario police Cpl. Jeff Higbee. "But it's summertime and ... we expect to see more activity."

Hoang said he was caught late last year racing his prized car, on which he spent at least $10,000 to get into top shape. The 350-horsepower engine topped out at 160 mph, Hoang said, swearing it could beat a Corvette or even a Ferrari.

When police popped open the hood, Hoang said, they found a stolen transmission. Hoang flashed a receipt for the transmission he bought from his father who runs an auto shop and doubted the item was hot.

"Everything on that car was practically brand new," Hoang said as he watched his car get moved to auto death row. "They should take out the stuff that matters, auction it off, and give the money to charity."

Because racers put heavy stress on their vehicles, they often burn out or blow up parts. Higbee said the need for the expensive parts has created a "theft mill" where additional cars — usually Hondas or Acuras — are stolen and stripped of the necessary replacements.

Most of the cars police examine are illegally modified. Sergio Zavala, 18, was pulled over in his 1993 yellow Honda Civic for a broken tail light in December. He had purchased a B-20 Vtech engine with a double-overhead cam a couple months before, and after a police investigation, was told it was stolen.

Zavala, who admits he's been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 on improvements to his car.

After watching his Civic demolished, Zavala is left without a car as he plans to attend a fire academy in the fall.

"It's heartbreaking to see this," said Zavala, who graduated from high school last week. "This is where all my time and money went."

Maldonado also said he put plenty of time and effort working on his 1992 black Honda Civic. He was stopped in November by police in what Higbee described as an area where racers gather.

The 18-year-old mechanic said a vehicle identification sticker apparently fell off and without it, police suspected some of the parts were stolen. Maldonado stood several feet away from his car as it was pounded into a heap of metal.

Maldonado said he has taken the advice of police by racing legally on one of several race courses around Southern California. For the money spent in fines and other penalties — on average about $5,000 for illegally modified cars — Higbee said street racers could compete about 250 times a year at a legitimate track.

"If you have to race, take it to a legal venue," Higbee said. "But as long as they keep racing illegally, we keep crushing their cars."

All three men who saw their vehicles destroyed said they believe illegal street racing will continue to prosper across the region.

"It will never go away," Maldonado said. "If it's in your heart, you will continue to do it until you can't anymore."
      06-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Juggs
Bavarian Motor Werks Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i sport

good. stupid ass street racers deserve it when they put the public at risk just to race their stupid riced out piece of shit fart can hondas. If they want to legit race, take it to a quarter mile track. Otherwise i am in 110% support of destroying their cars
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

repost

i dont find it funny though. that really sucks, all they did was buy illegal parts. there are plenty of un-riced out cars that drive like morons.
      06-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

ya i dont know. ive put alot of money, time and emotion into past cars of mine. but to see them crushed and all id be destroyed. id flip out and who knows.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

i swear to god. if they ever touch my car.................

(I think id lose my fucking mind and start killing people and blowing up shit, sorta like need for speed mixed with GTA [Id steal a dumptruck to ram shit with] and with several rounds of ammo, and some hand grenades, maybe an RPG. Basically there would be hell to pay)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
good. stupid ass street racers deserve it when they put the public at risk just to race their stupid riced out piece of shit fart can hondas. If they want to legit race, take it to a quarter mile track. Otherwise i am in 110% support of destroying their cars
I am sorry but someones property does not deserve to be taken away due to certain parts being illegal. Crushing those vehicles did nothing now they will street race even more.
      06-21-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
OMG!! That sucks... Sucks their parts were stolen though!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

That white Integra lucked out and didn't have to sacrifice a nice set of wheels like the others. Then again, he did lose his car.

I wonder if these owners learned their lessons or does this mean they have to start over again.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
That's BS. The police should have no right in crushing someones personal property, that's just wrong. Why not put a bond on the car or something. Say 10-20K depending on the fine so atleast the person can try to get the car back, if it's worth it to them. Then the car goes on sale at a Sheriffs auction after a couple months, if not bought by the owner. Whatever money is made can go to making the community better. Going about it this way is only spending more of LA's tax payers money to crush, and dispose of these cars.

BTW, the bottom car looks like a E46 if I'm not mistaken:mad:

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #10
Majick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/L 135i

They'll just start over again, with something faster...

Cops can't fight the "speed bug", and the "upgrade bug"
It'll never die. It's been around forever, only difference is that back when hotrodders did it in the 50s and 60s, there weren't as many cars on the road and everyone was into it. I guarantee that half the judges in courts across the US, grew up racing or pulling donuts in local parking lots. Everyone with a fast car likes to get into it every once in awhile, if they didn't...they wouldn't make fast cars. They should spend the money, they are using to crack down on racers, towards opening tracks and keeping them open later for local kids to run on.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
Majick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/L 135i

Looks like 2 Integra's, Bottom looks more like a Gen2 Eclipse, and that yellow one.....maybe a Del Sol
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #12
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

breaks my heart
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #13
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majick View Post
Looks like 2 Integra's, Bottom looks more like a Gen2 Eclipse, and that yellow one.....maybe a Del Sol
from top to bottom:

94-97 Integra
92-95 Civic HB
94-97 Integra
92-95 Civic Sedan
92-95 Civic HB (pay attention to to the corner lens shape and Honda Optional fog lamps )
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:12 AM   #14
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

uhhh... g4y?

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:18 AM   #15
NaTuReB0Y