E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Simplify METH for us all...

09-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #45
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueAddict View Post
After DPF delete and a tune, i am seeing a max of 36psi boost
that sounds lovely.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #46
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Maybe I over looked something, but how are these kits measuring boost? Is it from the ECU itself or analog?

Would it be better to use a trunk mount kit or tap it into the washerfluid tank?
      09-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #47
demon
Fukowee Warrior
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport blk on blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
The reason for running two nozzles would be to run a small one for a mileage and CBU cleaning nozzle which is spraying frequently and then one big one for power.
THANKS That makes a lot of sense. I assume that would require one pump, two boost switches and two solenoids to control for the two levels of boost - is that correct?
I was thinking about a 1.5 gal tank, how long would that last before going dry?

That 30% HP boost I mentioned was on an off road truck page, so no it was not for our cars. But they did go in to the whole explanation why your meth blend should never exceed 50% meth.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #48
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon View Post
THANKS That makes a lot of sense. I assume that would require one pump, two boost switches and two solenoids to control for the two levels of boost - is that correct?
I was thinking about a 1.5 gal tank, how long would that last before going dry?

That 30% HP boost I mentioned was on an off road truck page, so no it was not for our cars. But they did go in to the whole explanation why your meth blend should never exceed 50% meth.
I burn through about 3gal per tank of fuel - but i intentionally try to spray it a lot.

Currently working on an alternate setup where my large nozzle will only trigger when the shifter is in sport mode. That one tends to spray when i don't want it at mid-throttle levels around town.
      09-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #49
Masstar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

My boost is taken from a tap in the charge pipe. I use the windshield washer tank. I burn through about 1.5 gallons a month.
      10-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #50
xpernet
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335D

My experience with Meth:

I use a CoolingMist CMGS setup with a CM10 nozzle (800cc/min). I tapped a boost line for the CMGS when I was tapping the charge pipe for the meth injector.

I usually run 75% Meth / 25% Distilled Water. With my settings, the car pulls like a train and I absolutely love it! Cannot imagine driving the D with out it lol

Also if you plan to run anything higher than 50% meth, I would recommend a trunk mounted tank + pump vs. going the engine bay route. The mixture would be pretty flammable and you want to minimize exposure to heat from the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #51
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 2015 35d mspor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpernet View Post
My experience with Meth:

I use a CoolingMist CMGS setup with a CM10 nozzle (800cc/min). I tapped a boost line for the CMGS when I was tapping the charge pipe for the meth injector.

I usually run 75% Meth / 25% Distilled Water. With my settings, the car pulls like a train and I absolutely love it! Cannot imagine driving the D with out it lol

Also if you plan to run anything higher than 50% meth, I would recommend a trunk mounted tank + pump vs. going the engine bay route. The mixture would be pretty flammable and you want to minimize exposure to heat from the engine.
What are you settings set at, on/full? Does your gauge indicate you are infact pumping. 800cc/min at full on?
I also have a cheaper cooling mist set up, and I run a 625cc nozzle. I have tried several different mixes of meth, the higher the concentration, the lower I can set the boost pressure for the low setting. I also set mine up so that it comes on 100% immediately instead of progressively, because I don't think it atomizes as well when not pumping at 100%
I agree, there is a noticeable increase in power with the methanol, and an even more noticeable increase with the higher concentrations of methanol,( I have only run the 75% mix a few times, as it has been said this could be bad?)
How many miles have you run with this set up/mix?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #52
xpernet
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp900 View Post
What are you settings set at, on/full? Does your gauge indicate you are infact pumping. 800cc/min at full on?
I also have a cheaper cooling mist set up, and I run a 625cc nozzle. I have tried several different mixes of meth, the higher the concentration, the lower I can set the boost pressure for the low setting. I also set mine up so that it comes on 100% immediately instead of progressively, because I don't think it atomizes as well when not pumping at 100%
I agree, there is a noticeable increase in power with the methanol, and an even more noticeable increase with the higher concentrations of methanol,( I have only run the 75% mix a few times, as it has been said this could be bad?)
How many miles have you run with this set up/mix?
My "start" setting is set at 17.5PSI and "full" at 24PSI. Yes, my setup utilizes a flow meter and my gauge shows 800cc/min - 900cc/min when im at 100%.

I haven't had any issues at all running this mix and its what I always run on. I've had this setup since January of this year and put around 30,000kms on it since.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #53
demon
Fukowee Warrior
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport blk on blk

Just a little background info. Does anyone have some pictures of their installation? I have no idea where to tap for Boost sensor or where to put a nozzle.

From Diesel power mag, results of different concentration of meth.

DYNO RESULTS: '04 CUMMINS
EFFECT OF WATER-METHANOL
CONCENTRATIONS
RWHP TORQUE
Stock 279 hp 580 lb-ft
Baseline (with Edge EZ) 379 hp 766 lb-ft
Windshield washer fluid 429 hp 873 lb-ft
50 percent methanol 453 hp 930 lb-ft
75 percent methanol 487 hp 960 lb-ft

Additional power is supplied by the introduction of extra fuel in the form of methanol, while the water portion of the equation prevents pre-ignition of the methanol and offers cooling properties that reduce the combustion temperature.

from snow performance:

1. What are the benefits of Water/Methanol injection?
1. Greatly reduced EGTs - Decreases of 250 degrees F are common using a 50/50 water/methanol mix. Increased EGTs are an engine killer in today's performance diesel world.
2. Low cost power - Where else can you get 50-100 HP for as low as $549? What other modification does all these things with one system?
3. Greatly increased air charge densities - 3-5 psi boost increases are common with liquid intercooling.
4. Decreased emissions - increased combustion efficiency means less particulate matter and NOX emissions.
5. Fuel economy increase - increase your fuel economy up to 10%-15% (1-3 mpg).
6. Great for towing - more power/cooler EGT's to haul the heaviest loads.

2. Why is Water/Methanol injection so effective on Diesels?
Unlike gasoline engines, the power in a turbo diesel is largely a function of fuel. The problem with continually adding fuel is that you create an over-fueling condition and reach a point where the exhaust gas temperatures become prohibitive (over 1300 degrees F). A 50/50 water/methanol mix will decrease EGT's approximately 200-300 degrees F while increasing power 50-100HP.

Power is increased through:

• Air charge cooling - Water/methanol usually lowers air charge temps over 200 degrees F. Low air temps makes denser air charge which provides more molecules of oxygen for combustion.
• Combustion conditioning - the methanol acts as a combustion catalyst as well as a cooling agent. Water vaporization inside the combustion chamber increases torque and power output through "the steam" effect.

Where else can you get this kind of power with cooler EGT's, reduced emissions, and more fuel economy?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #54
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 2015 35d mspor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon View Post
Just a little background info. Does anyone have some pictures of their installation? I have no idea where to tap for Boost sensor or where to put a nozzle.

From Diesel power mag, results of different concentration of meth.

DYNO RESULTS: '04 CUMMINS
EFFECT OF WATER-METHANOL
CONCENTRATIONS
RWHP TORQUE
Stock 279 hp 580 lb-ft
Baseline (with Edge EZ) 379 hp 766 lb-ft
Windshield washer fluid 429 hp 873 lb-ft
50 percent methanol 453 hp 930 lb-ft
75 percent methanol 487 hp 960 lb-ft

Additional power is supplied by the introduction of extra fuel in the form of methanol, while the water portion of the equation prevents pre-ignition of the methanol and offers cooling properties that reduce the combustion temperature.

from snow performance:

1. What are the benefits of Water/Methanol injection?
1. Greatly reduced EGTs - Decreases of 250 degrees F are common using a 50/50 water/methanol mix. Increased EGTs are an engine killer in today's performance diesel world.
2. Low cost power - Where else can you get 50-100 HP for as low as $549? What other modification does all these things with one system?
3. Greatly increased air charge densities - 3-5 psi boost increases are common with liquid intercooling.
4. Decreased emissions - increased combustion efficiency means less particulate matter and NOX emissions.
5. Fuel economy increase - increase your fuel economy up to 10%-15% (1-3 mpg).
6. Great for towing - more power/cooler EGT's to haul the heaviest loads.

2. Why is Water/Methanol injection so effective on Diesels?
Unlike gasoline engines, the power in a turbo diesel is largely a function of fuel. The problem with continually adding fuel is that you create an over-fueling condition and reach a point where the exhaust gas temperatures become prohibitive (over 1300 degrees F). A 50/50 water/methanol mix will decrease EGT's approximately 200-300 degrees F while increasing power 50-100HP.

Power is increased through:

• Air charge cooling - Water/methanol usually lowers air charge temps over 200 degrees F. Low air temps makes denser air charge which provides more molecules of oxygen for combustion.
• Combustion conditioning - the methanol acts as a combustion catalyst as well as a cooling agent. Water vaporization inside the combustion chamber increases torque and power output through "the steam" effect.

Where else can you get this kind of power with cooler EGT's, reduced emissions, and more fuel economy?
I've been doing a lot if research on this, if done right (Propane injection) offers even better results, but there are some dangers associated with this if not done correctly. If I decide to pull the trigger on this I will start a new thread
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #55
vvs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

i wonder if you have a tune and ad meth...if the tuner can limit the torque to a certain number so you don't stress the transmission to its death
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #56
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvs View Post
i wonder if you have a tune and ad meth...if the tuner can limit the torque to a certain number so you don't stress the transmission to its death
The computer already sets a limit. Its called torque management and just about every new vehicle (new being pretty much anything build 2000 or later) has it programmed into the transmission shift program. The tuner could delete it, change the parameters, change the way the computer calculates the torque value, or do all sorts of things with it. Without knowing how our torque management is set up, most likely the tuner could set torque management to anything from 0% reduction during shift to 100% reduction during a shift.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #57
vvs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

another meth question....does a 50/50 water/meth freeze in the winter??
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #58
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
another meth question....does a 50/50 water/meth freeze in the winter??
Nope.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #59
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

winter windshield washer fluid for most cold regions is no more than 30/70
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #60
TorqueAddict
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i - 335D

Quote:
This can be done. TQ can even be limited per gear.
Appreciate 0