E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > buying a used Bentley?

12-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
henryyxyu
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: YXZ

buying a used Bentley?

So I've been tossing around the idea of getting a used '00-ish Bentley Arnage, cept I don't know anything about Bentley's.... Is there anything that I should look for? Like...snapping timing belts (well I doubt any car uses them these days but it was alway a big problem for my E30, replaced the engine 2 times ). IDK just anything to look out for? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Be on very good trms with your mechanic. If you think a BMW is expensive to maintain you are in for a big surprise.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Ok why?
If I had a Bentley I would need to be chauffered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Good luck with that. I would imagine that, between gas, insurance and maintenance, the cost of ownership will be between painful and astonomical.
      12-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Good luck with that. I would imagine that, between gas, insurance and maintenance, the cost of ownership will be between painful and astonomical.
I agree... U could get a 7 series... Not as flashy...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryyxyu View Post
So I've been tossing around the idea of getting a used '00-ish Bentley Arnage, cept I don't know anything about Bentley's.... Is there anything that I should look for? Like...snapping timing belts (well I doubt any car uses them these days but it was alway a big problem for my E30, replaced the engine 2 times ). IDK just anything to look out for? Thanks!
If I was looking to purchase a used Bentley I would go with the 2004 or newer Continental (GT or Flying Spur). This generation is showing excellent reliability, not always true in the exotic world. I see Conti GT's being sold with 40K-50K miles now. Fractional ownership clubs generally dump their exotics after 10K-15K miles because maintenance costs due to unreliability issues begin to offset the value of the car. Current gen Bentley's OTOH, are kept for another 10K miles. Due to both the popularity of the model and the relatively low maintenance costs.

Another factor in this models favor is these cars are driven. And usually, driven car are maintained cars.

This is inverse to the Ferrari/Lambo world, where - in attempt to keep resale value up - these cars are not driven. And generally non-driven cars means deferred maintenance. And a 5 year old deferred maintained exotic can mean $20K for an up to date service to the buyer. $50K, if you are not lucky.