E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Man loses a lot of money.

06-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Man loses a lot of money.

because someone didn't buy a $15 fishing license.

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhKRaCZqWME&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhKRaCZqWME&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

http://www.jdnews.com/articles/rock-...terstitialskip

"The lack of a $15 fishing license cost the Citation $912,825, not to mention first place and a spot in the record books in the 52nd annual Big Rock Blue Marlin Fishing Tournament.

Ouch? You bet so.

“It hurts,” said angler Andy Thomossan, who caught a record 883-pound blue marlin Monday that he and everyone else bet would win the $1.66 million tournament. “No record. No money. No fish. No nothing. Yep, it’s a nice ending to the story, isn’t it?”

Not for Thomossan and Co.

The Citation’s victory was initially put on hold Saturday night during the awards banquet and a day later erased by Big Rock officials because a crew member didn’t have a fishing license, said Thomossan, 63, who lives in Richmond, Va.

“We didn’t do anything wrong. But one of our people did. He failed to get a fishing license, but we didn’t know it. He told us he had it. He didn’t. So you take a man for his word, you know? I can’t do anything. They made their decision,” Thomossan said, referring to the Big Rock board of directors.

“They’re taking it away, everything. The fish is disqualified. We’re disqualified. So that’s the end of it. Yeah, wow. That hurts. To have it done it like that…, to have somebody beat me because they caught (a bigger) fish is not so bad, but…,” he said, his voice trailing off without completing his thought.

A North Carolina Coastal Recreational Fishing License costs $15 annually for state residents 16 and older or $30 for nonresidents, according to the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources’ website. A 10-day license can also be purchased for $5 for state residents 16 and older or $10 for nonresidents.

Also, fishing boat owners can purchase a block of 10 10-day fishing licenses for $150.

Under tournament rules, “anyone fishing aboard a vessel” in the Big Rock must have a N.C. fishing license, including the captain, the mate and anglers.

The lack of a license by a “for-hire mate” was discovered during a lie detector test Saturday night, said Michael Topp, one of the boat’s three owners. The tournament requires a lie detector test for the top money winners, including the captain, mate and angler as well as “others as deemed necessary.”

“Based on that, it appears that they are going to withhold all the winnings and disallow the catch of the fish,” Topp said. “It’s their tournament, their rules, their judgment. We, of course, feel that the action of the particular individual on an individual license should be dealt with on an individual license basis.

“We made the individual go and turn himself in once we found out about it. He’s obviously going to be fined.”

Topp declined to identify the crew member, and was nearly as speechless when asked how disappointed he was.

“I do not have the words,” he said.

Topp said he didn’t know if the board of directors had had made an official decision, which is expected today after the board meets.

“We did have a meeting with them today,” he added. “But the fact of the matter it was revealed last night in the lie detector that the for-hire mate … lied to us, concealed actually the fact that he didn’t have a license from both the captain and the owners. Hence, the situation.”

Asked if the situation was unbelievable, he replied:

“There’s lot of people that don’t think that’s the way the committee should have come down. But I don’t know. It doesn’t change how things are, and it’s not going to change how they come out.”

Topp was asked whose responsibility it was to make sure all members of the boat had fishing licenses. While sidestepping the specific question, he said he felt that was where “the tournament kind of crosses the line.”

He said it was the individual’s responsibility to have an individual license.

“That’s where the … line gets gray. Where do you transition from an individual responsibility to a tournament responsibility or a boat responsibility?” he said. “I think the Big Rock committee is doing what they have to do. I understand that. I’m a 30-year-old retired colonel. I know about rules.

“But the guys that did all the right things on the boat, the owners, the captain, we’re the victims here. We’re the victims of ‘administrivia.’”

As a result of Citation being stripped of its victory, the winning boat will now be Carnivore, which is captained by Ed Petrilli of Cape Carteret. Angler John Parks of Jacksonville caught what turned out to be the winner, a 528.3-pound blue marlin on Wednesday.

Also, the Big Rock record now reverts back to the 831-pound blue marlin caught in 2000 by Ron Wallschlager on the Summertime Blues of Kiawah Island, S.C.

On Sunday morning, tournament director Crystal Watters e-mailed a news release to the media that said the Big Rock board of directors had “withheld presentation of blue marlin prize money until an alleged rules violation by the top team has been totally researched and a decision made regarding this alleged violation.”

Watters said Big Rock officials would have further comment today.

“I really have nothing to tell you,” she said. “I won’t know anything until tomorrow until the board meets. The board is going to convene and make some decisions about the issues and then we’ll do a press release.”

Citation captain Eric Holmes didn’t return messages left on his cell phone"
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Damn. I would kill that dude.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi &lt;--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

I would literally fucking kill that punk.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
shuarma
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e92

we would all kill him
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #5
DOCTOR 3VIL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/E92 M3

Dumb officials....that's like letting a murderer go free because of some stupid technicality
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Guy without license should receive a lifetime ban from the tournament. The men who did have their license, and the boat they were on, should win the tournament and be considered for the tournament record. This is a travesty.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

it seems like they just don't want to hand out the money and use that as an excuse.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Time for a 1am fishing trip with 5, ahem, 4 crew members aboard.

I actually feel bad for the fish too; poor marlin fought and died for nothing!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I hate how writer of the article kept referring to the boat as person, the damn boat did not win a thing, it was the people on the boat.

I too would have killed the guy who screwed up and he was just the hired help, but go figure the state would require everyone on the boat whether they were fishing or not to have a license. It took a lie detector test to know this, wouldn't it be simpler to ask everyone to show their license.

I like how they said it was the largest Blue Marlin caught but did not clarify it was the largest for that port until the end of article. I could not understand how 885 lbs was record. the dad of a friend of my sister had the largest Blue Marlin caught in the Atlantic at 1100 lbs back in the 70's and it stood as a record for almost 20yrs, I think the largest today comes in around 1500 lbs.

http://www.marlinmag.com/article.jsp...egoryID=283Big

Jack Harrington was his name. He also broke another record at the time he landed it in under 3 hours, which was unheard of for fish they big. They also believe the fish was more like 1300 lbs but lost lots of water weight due to the fact it took them almost 8 hours to weight it since it keep breaking all the scales they had at the time. They had to fly in a scale to weight it since it was first time any fish was caught over 1000 lbs

Last edited by Maestro; 06-23-2010 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I hate how writer of the article kept referring to the boat as person, the damn boat did not win a thing, it was the people on the boat.

I too would have killed the guy who screwed up and he was just the hired help, but go figure the state would require everyone on the boat whether they were fishing or not to have a license. It took a lie detector test to know this, wouldn't it be simpler to ask everyone to show their license.

I like how they said it was the largest Blue Marlin caught but did not clarify it was the largest for that port until the end of article. I could not understand how 885 lbs was record. the dad of a friend of my sister had the largest Blue Marlin caught in the Atlantic at 1100 lbs back in the 70's and it stood as a record for almost 20yrs, I think the largest today comes in around 1500 lbs.

http://www.marlinmag.com/article.jsp...egoryID=283Big

Jack Harrington was his name. He also broke another record at the time he landed it in under 3 hours, which was unheard of for fish they big. They also believe the fish was more like 1300 lbs but lost lots of water weight due to the fact it took them almost 8 hours to weight it since it keep breaking all the scales they had at the time. They had to fly in a scale to weight it since it was first time any fish was caught over 1000 lbs
Think they meant Big Rock Blue Marlin Fishing Tournament record and not world record.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Wow that must suck. Dude deserves one helluva bitch slap every day for the rest of his life.

"30-year-old" retired Colonel? The phrasing had me scratching my head for a bit. I guess they mean 30 years of service?

...and goddamn that's a big fucking fish...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #12
crazy08
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
The name of the boat: "Citation" How ironic.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

That's bs. they just don't want to pay up.
      06-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #14
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

that's a fucking HUGE fish, good lord
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy08 View Post
The name of the boat: "Citation" How ironic.
lol so true.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #16
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Wow... 1.6 million, plus a fine, plus no record. For a "for hire" worker that lied to the captain?!? That seems like a bum deal to me.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0