E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > flying out to northern california =)

12-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
??? where at?? whatd you get? ima hit it up i'm in the mood to try something new haha.
Garden Grove area for sure...Little Saigon
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
BimmerPod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f85 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
5A5 Steak Lounge in SF... it's a like a trendy bar... with steak!

Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf. Some of the best Italian food there is.
For SF...

Scoma's is a bit of a tourist trap, no? (not all, but a lot of the restaurants near Fisherman's Wharf are)

For CA italian, try SPQR (smaller venue) or a16 (better scene). I promise those will not disappoint for italian.

Another great restaurant that's not too overpriced but great food/drinks is Nopa. Not in the best area but still worth a visit.

Bix gets a little more expensive, but the drinks and the different atmosphere + good food will make it quite enjoyable.

If you're looking to break your purse $$$$ than Coi is an interesting experience that's definitely different than the norm. Same can be said for Benu ($$$$ asian influenced ex French Laundry)

NYC and other cities have steakhouses that are more well-known than SF. Skip unless it's a craving.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #25
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
For fun I'd stick to San Francisco. I'm sure other bay area people can recommend all the hotspots there but I'm sure whoever you're staying with that lives in the area will also have suggestions. There's nothing fun to do in the Danville/San Ramon area. It's a family oriented area with no downtown. All you see in Danville during the day is a lot of MILFS having starbucks with their other rich friends still in their workout gear pushing their baby strollers.

I work in the area so for lunch a few places I like to go eat is De Ming's for Chinese, Domenico's if you want good sandwiches, or Pete's Brass Rail & Car Wash for burgers/sandwiches. For Japanese, Kane Sushi or Hana Sushi bar are pretty good.

If you like the posh foo foo places you can try FAZ or Bridges which is in Danville as well but you might end up going to pick up some macdonalds afterwards b/c the portions are small.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #26
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPod View Post
For SF...

Scoma's is a bit of a tourist trap, no? (not all, but a lot of the restaurants near Fisherman's Wharf are)

For CA italian, try SPQR (smaller venue) or a16 (better scene). I promise those will not disappoint for italian.

Another great restaurant that's not too overpriced but great food/drinks is Nopa. Not in the best area but still worth a visit.

Bix gets a little more expensive, but the drinks and the different atmosphere + good food will make it quite enjoyable.

If you're looking to break your purse $$$$ than Coi is an interesting experience that's definitely different than the norm. Same can be said for Benu ($$$$ asian influenced ex French Laundry)

NYC and other cities have steakhouses that are more well-known than SF. Skip unless it's a craving.

Scoma's may attract a good amount of tourists but for good reason. Other place around the wharf are def tourist traps, but you don't really venture out to Scoma's unless you know about it since it's tucked away on the pier, behind a bunch of buildings. Food will def back up the recommendations, and it's been in the same family for years now.

While SF was lacking in the steakhouse scene for as long as I can remember, that changed when Michael Minna opened his Bourbon steakhouse in the Westin (where his signature restaurant used to be). Def on par with the top steak houses in the bigger cities. But besides Bourbon, not too many other choices (except Boboquivari's, but that's a more casual spot).

Someone else stated before too, for bars, hit up the Marina. It's more yuppie, but at least there are better looking people. If you want the ghetto azn scene, just walk up and down Broadway. Slide and Ruby Skye are good places to hit up (both on Mason St.), Infusion Lounge if you want a classier asian spot, 5A5 after hours for drinks and music, RN74 for a nice wine bar.
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0