E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Holiday traveling is a pain in the ass

12-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Holiday traveling is a pain in the ass

I fucking hate it

Just passed a new Honda hatch with those dumbass antlers, 3 yea fucking 3 apple stickers, and a pedo bear sticker on the bumper driving like he is driving a ferrari...

Holidays brings the drivers out that shouldn't operate an electronic toothbrush let alone a car
      12-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

If I were you I would just give up and kill yourself. At least take out Pedodeer with you.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I fucking hate it

Just passed a new Honda hatch with those dumbass antlers, 3 yea fucking 3 apple stickers, and a pedo bear sticker on the bumper driving like he is driving a ferrari...

Holidays brings the drivers out that shouldn't operate an electronic toothbrush let alone a car
Do yourself a favor and don't come to Dallas because you would probably rage after about 10 miles on the highway and end up in jail.
      12-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I hear you man... I've got to drive to Minneapolis (from Chicago) on Christmas eve... in what will most certainly be, a fucking blizzard.

I'm sure I'll be getting agressively passed (or more likely tailgated) by people in 2wd SUVs (who think that any SUV is a 4wd SUV) driving 95MPH like it's some regular summer evening.

That, or:

I'll be stuck on a two lane highway, behind two people with their cruise control on.

Car 1: 65mph
Car 2: 65.0125mph

Neither one of them wanting to yield to the other.

Can't friggin wait.

At least I don't live on one of the coasts and am trying to get back to the midwest anymore... that was so much worse.

Safe travels.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Atorsesh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 123

Someone is having a bad day..
Really shouldn't complain about 'Ferrari driving'. It could be 'old lady going 15 under posted' driving. Also I'm guessing you're talking about the Crosstour I agree they're RUBBISH.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Nah it was congested traffic merging from one major Interstate onto another heading into a big city and he was swerving in and out lanes just to pass one car and then brake because traffic was so slow, when times like that I keep 2 car lengths away from the one in front of me to prepare for anything unexpected, people like him are causing the wrecks and MAKING TRAFFIC
      12-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Nah it was congested traffic merging from one major Interstate onto another heading into a big city and he was swerving in and out lanes just to pass one car and then brake because traffic was so slow, when times like that I keep 2 car lengths away from the one in front of me to prepare for anything unexpected, people like him are causing the wrecks and MAKING TRAFFIC
Every car length you leave in front of you is one less behind you. So believe it or not, those assholes that are riding to the end of the on ramp or waiting til the very last moment to merge are actually taking up valuable space that most lemmings don't. If more people used the available space, the less traffic there would be. Driving like an asshole, ala switching lanes constantly in bumper to bumper traffic, is just stupid and isn't helping anyone. But leaving a bus lengths opening in front of you is negatively effecting the amount of space for the people behind you.

If I am mistaken, please correct me. This has always been my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

I do it just in case someone needs to get over or someone isn't paying attention and slams on the brakes and gives me time to brake and the person behind me too, that bumper to bumper shit just causes fender benders that causes traffic, I drive aggressive but smart when it gets congested
      12-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Yep ..."Pain in the Ass" is the right word

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
Every car length you leave in front of you is one less behind you. So believe it or not, those assholes that are riding to the end of the on ramp or waiting til the very last moment to merge are actually taking up valuable space that most lemmings don't. If more people used the available space, the less traffic there would be. Driving like an asshole, ala switching lanes constantly in bumper to bumper traffic, is just stupid and isn't helping anyone. But leaving a bus lengths opening in front of you is negatively effecting the amount of space for the people behind you.

If I am mistaken, please correct me. This has always been my understanding.
I think a bus length is excessive at 5-10MPH "rolling" traffic, but I'm with collin on playing the cautious bit at at a car length+ if there is a complete moron driving in front of you.

On the merging point however, you are mistaken (IMO )

I am a firm believer that if everyone would just follow the rules and start to merge when they are supposed to (IE when they see the fucking sign 2 miles out), traffic would be faster. My believe is that traffic is slow at the merges is because everyone needs to slow down/stop to allow someone else to merge in at the pinch points and everyone (both the person who needs to merge and the person who needs to let them in) are waiting until the last possible moment because for whatever reason each of them think they have more of a right to be there first.

Unless of course you are driving into the "circle" interchange here in Chicago, then there are no rules. The city planner who thought up that albatros really outdid himself when he drew up that steaming piece of shit.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

I want deer antlers now... They are cute.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Yep ..."Pain in the Ass" is the right word

[IMG]http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4522087/TSA-Tourism-Sabotage-Activity.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=TSA[/MG]
God that is disgusting. How could anyone be a doctor? You couldn't pay me enough money to do that kind of phaggy stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
God that is disgusting. How could anyone be a doctor? You couldn't pay me enough money to do that kind of phaggy stuff
I would rather let a doc do what he needs to do to my asshole than die of Colon or Prostate cancer. If you disagree, than you have never seen anyone suffer from either.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

What feyd said, people are on the phones not paying attention to the signs, I have a pet peeve of being in the lane that I need to be early, IE if I know ill be taking a right a few miles up ill get in the right lane early to be prepared, some people are jackasses and won't let you in at the moment you need to, so I am always a step ahead of people...my pops taught me to prepare for the worst when driving, and he has driven 30 years and NEVER an accident and he was a traveling salesman for 10 so I listened to him...
      12-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
I would rather let a doc do what he needs to do to my asshole than die of Colon or Prostate cancer. If you disagree, than you have never seen anyone suffer from either.

Truth... Colon and Prostate cancers don't descriminate. When you hear of someone being diagnosed with "cancer" and the doctor said that they only have a month to live... guess which ones they typically are.

Finger (or endoscope) in your ass it may be, but the alternative is being supprised that you've got stave IV cancer with the second sentance out of the doctors mouth being you've only got "X" weeks to live. (Note the single X).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
2010 has been declared the official "Staycation" year.

Join the movement. Save yourself some ha$$le. Enjoy some quality time in your own backyard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staycation

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

When entering traffic on an on-ramp, merging into traffic late is most efficient; if you merge early, the empty space ahead of you on the ramp is unused and hence inefficient.

When in traffic, merging early or late to an off-ramp (assuming done reasonably, i.e. not swerving at the last second and scaring a dozen drivers) is fairly irrelevant.

Finally, while minimizing the space ahead of you in traffic might be nice, one still needs to balance minimum ahead-space with one's reflexes and car's ability to stop. While NYC's reflexes might be superhuman and can afford to tailgate 1 mm behind the car in front in the name of efficiency, I being the lesser being would prefer to still leave a couple of seconds-worth of distance between.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #18
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
When entering traffic on an on-ramp, merging into traffic late is most efficient; if you merge early, the empty space ahead of you on the ramp is unused and hence inefficient.

When in traffic, merging early or late to an off-ramp (assuming done reasonably, i.e. not swerving at the last second and scaring a dozen drivers) is fairly irrelevant.

I'm with you on these points. To be clear about what I was referring to is situations where there is a lane closure/lane reduction (lane just ends/construction/accident, etc.) where people who merge late are (for the most part) just being d-bags.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I'm going to put some antlers on the 3 and see how fast I can drive from PHX to LA on Christmas day.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #20
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I'm with you on these points. To be clear about what I was referring to is situations where there is a lane closure/lane reduction (lane just ends/construction/accident, etc.) where people who merge late are (for the most part) just being d-bags.
Well, I would argue that the same argument would apply in the lane closure/lane reduction situation: when merging into traffic, merging late is most efficient. However, I should mention one caveat: If the lane you are merging into presents an opening where you don't have to slow down in any significant way, but merging late would cause you significantly slow down to merge (i.e. an early break in traffic), one should merge into that break.

I will agree on a corollary of your point though: Other people's perception of your actions as d-baggery, whether fairly or unfairly, creates inefficiencies as well (road rage, etc.) and should be considered in your decision-making: it's not worth merging late if someone pulls out a gun.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #21
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't come to Dallas because you would probably rage after about 10 miles on the highway and end up in jail.
this X1000000
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #22
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Wow. If you left a bus-length in NYC, you'd never make it more than a block in traffic. Every single human being, including your grandmother, would cut you off.
Appreciate 0