E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 32 Days Remaining!!!

View Poll Results: What will happen when the Large Hadron Collider is fired up?
solve some of the universe's most vexing problems 12 19.05%
it will create a black hole that will destroy the planet 19 30.16%
nothing. It will be a dud. 32 50.79%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

08-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #23
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

30 days and counting. I spent a little time in church this morning without even a thought about the impending doom.
      08-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #24
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i coupe 6MT

I work with a number of particle physicists at an aerospace firm and when I asked them about it, they all said it's mostly nothing to worry about. They weren't chain-smoking or shaking, either. I believe what's going to happen is that the LHC will smash atoms together at a higher speed than ever before and they expect to find some new sub-particles. Some have postulated the idea of "micro black holes", but again, none of the scientists I know were shaken by that.

I've found that scientists may often be wrong, but money is not - the fact that this is all taking place in Switzerland, where some of the richest families in the world live, adds a relaxation factor to the whole thing for me. There's a silly, but somewhat informative music video about the whole thing here:

Hey, if it weren't for CERN, HTML and Mozilla would have never taken shape, and we wouldn't have been talking about it anyway, LOL!

Roy
      08-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #25
BayAreaE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91' 850i

Garage List
1991 850i  [7.75]
2007 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
I thought it was fired already? I watched it on T.V...
We have a Giant ass one in Chicago and it hasn't done $hit to me yet. Probably be more of the same because Black Holes require enough energy to compress matter to point where it's mass becomes infinite. We've barely harnessed enough energy to go to the F*&king moon let alone make a Black Hole.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #26
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Top 10 list of things I'm going to do before the world is sucked up into a black hole or turned into strange matter:

1) Instead of helping old laides across the street I will now help them part with their hard earned money by giving them a swift knock to the head with my homemade billy club fashioned out of a rubber hose, some fine sand and color coordinated duct tape (even thugs should have some style)

2) I will now find out if there really is such a thing as the "VIP room" at the local strip club

3)My urge to deficate in a paper bag, light it on fire and place it on my noisy neighbor's doorstep at 2:30 AM will finally be realized

4) I'll try that dating service that everybody is always suggesting to me (including my wife)

5) After I tell my boss he's an egotistical space cadet with the intellect of ringworm infection (and just about as much charisma) I will spend the majority of my days eating Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream out of the carton while watching reruns of the "Jerry Springer Too Hot for TV Made For TV Show" (because you know there's gonna be some hot chicks with big boobs on there -or so I keep hoping every time I watch it)

6) I plan on determining which grows faster over a months time, nose hair or back hair

7) Take some personal enrichment courses by select authors such as Tony Robbins and Carleton Sheets (because you know real estate is gonna be HOT after the world blows up!)

8) I'll buy at least $100 worth of scratch tickets per day. It takes a long time to collect on the powerball winnings. By that time we'll all be dead and I'll be damned if I won't bilk the system for as much as I can until then.

9) Spend hours composing useless posts on my favorite forums just to watch them be deleted by the semi facist admins and moderating staff

10) I'll work on becoming super flexible so at day 32 I can bend over and kiss my ass goodbye - literally

Your wife wants you to date ??
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #27
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

It will open a rift in time and space to another dimension and shitloads of strippers are going pour out increasing the world's population by 1 billion.
      08-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #28
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This isn't the latest info, but interesting:

...the experiment might create globe-gobbling black holes or never-before-seen strains of matter that would destroy the planet.

The Large Hadron Collider, or LHC, is due for startup later this year at CERN's headquarters on the French-Swiss border. It's expected to tackle some of the deepest questions in science: Is the foundation of modern physics right or wrong? What existed during the very first moment of the universe's existence? Why do some particles have mass while others don't? What is the nature of dark matter? Are there extra dimensions of space out there that we haven't yet detected?

Some folks outside the scientific mainstream have asked darker questions as well: Could the collider create mini-black holes that last long enough and get big enough to turn into a matter-sucking maelstrom? Could exotic particles known as magnetic monopoles throw atomic nuclei out of whack? Could quarks recombine into "strangelets" that would turn the whole Earth into one big lump of exotic matter?
      08-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #29
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have wasted away my 29th to last day before the end of the Earth to work on some stupid stuff at the office that even if the Earth doesn't end, this work will not be remembered in three months from now.

There must be a better way to spend my last few weeks.
      08-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #30
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

I put my internet connection to good use on this the 29th day before it ends. I downloaded all the movies I haven't yet seen,some that I have and some that I will probably never want to watch, but what the hell the bandwidth is free and the MPAA Nazis won't be able to do much about it when they're stretched out as a one-atom string for a million miles from the impending black hole.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #31
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

28 days remaining:
  • Worked on my meaningless job where everyone was complaining about the Work Prevention Tool.
  • Got my last haircut.
  • Went to the annual neighborhood BBQ party in the common area. Spent most of my time talking on the cellphone, then discussed religion and politics with the neighbors. Nobody else knew the end was near (or they just didn't talk about it, as I didn't either).
  • Going to pay off a couple bills (I won't be needing the money anyway).
  • Thinking about tuning in to a little more of these last summer Olympic Games.
      08-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #32
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

27 days remaining on God's green earth:
  • Dropped off the bimmer at the dealer due to headlamp failure. They also took care of the brake fluid change that was scheduled for November. They decided to do it now, since there won't be a BMW to service in November.
  • Shuttle driver took me to work and we discussed September 10 and the Earth being sucked up by a mini black hole. In hindsight, maybe I should have given him a tip.
  • Tonight I will pack my bags for my final vacation that starts tomorrow. I'll be visiting family one last time to make my good-byes. I'll also be camping out to enjoy Earth's environment one last time, contemplating the good life I had, and the eternity that lies before me.
      08-15-2008, 01:09 AM   #33
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
  • Dropped off the bimmer at the dealer due to headlamp failure. They also took care of the brake fluid change that was scheduled for November. They decided to do it now, since there won't be a BMW to service in November.
  • Shuttle driver took me to work and we discussed September 10 and the Earth being sucked up by a mini black hole. In hindsight, maybe I should have given him a tip.
  • Tonight I will pack my bags for my final vacation that starts tomorrow. I'll be visiting family one last time to make my good-byes. I'll also be camping out to enjoy Earth's environment one last time, contemplating the good life I had, and the eternity that lies before me.
We're going to be fine. Nobody's family worth several trillion dollars would let this sh*t go on in their backyard, otherwise. I'll admit that I don't fully understand it either, but when leaders of countries act like fools, it's just for the press...

Roy
      08-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #34
Ateneo_BluEagles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V-Kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Either this will be another Y2K hype or THE END OF THE WORLD Yikesss!!

This is very fascinating yet scary at the same time. I will definitely follow this story.
      08-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #35
Island Snow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SKG

Any new news?
      08-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #36
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Something is ganna go wrong (as usual) and were all ganna be screwed.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 03:43 AM   #37
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

Less than a week to go. Hope all of you have some means of interstellar transportation. I've got a thing lined up on a Vogon freighter that just happens to be in the neighborhood next Wednesday. If I don't see you before then; so long and thanks for all the fish.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #38
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Less than a week to go. Hope all of you have some means of interstellar transportation. I've got a thing lined up on a Vogon freighter that just happens to be in the neighborhood next Wednesday. If I don't see you before then; so long and thanks for all the fish.

I told my wife about this a few days ago and she read through the thread. She was upset that I took a vacation to say goodbye to my family without her, and I hadn't even said anything to her about the end of the world. My daughter was crying and saying she doesn't want the world to end, and asking why the scientists would do this.

Explaining that the chances of the ultimate disaster was about equal to the chances of getting struck by lightning was only some help. My wife was like, "I'll bet that makes people feel better who have been struck by lightning. Some have even been struck multiple times."
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #39
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

I can't believe you'd scare your daughter like that. She doesn't understand that you're insane, while your wife would.

Gumshoe - I'm not concerned because I know the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. Don't forget your towel.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #40
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Gumshoe - I'm not concerned because I know the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. Don't forget your towel.
LoL !

I have a nice Egyptian cotton bath towel all ready for the journey. It even has the name of my favorite hotel monogrammed on it ...Embassy Suites
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #41
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Large Hadron Rap
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #42
scottwww
Brigadier General