E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone here relocated for jobs?

05-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Anyone here relocated for jobs?

As real life is about to kick in for me in a couple of years, I find myself thinking more and more about this.

For the longest, I wanted to stay in Southern California, where I am now because I'm so accustomed to everything. But on the other hand, I can pretty much drive to my elementary, middle, high school, and university within 30 mins....feels like I really haven't had much growth.

I recently looked at life in a different way after talking with a friend, who stated that life is a journey, one should experience a new place and new ambiance in general....to take you out of your comfort zone.

Now I'm entertaining the idea of relocating to a different city, or country. I'm not tied down at all...no car payments, no house payment, no serious girlfriend, etc. so it would be pretty easy for me I think.

Anyone here ever relocate because of a job opportunity? Or liked a place so much that you moved first and then look for a job opening later?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
i've thought of this too.
to me it gets boring after a while
if i had the chance i'd love to move to new york or even japan or something
      05-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

I've done this.

A couple high school teachers have found me through facebook. When I tell them what I'm doing with my life and the career I landed by relocating, I've gotten nothing but compliments from them for journeying out on my own. this is what one of them had to say "Sara I am so happy for you. Don't get me wrong I love all the kids I taught, but you are the first on that has gotten the hell out of Pearl River County and made a great life. Please keep this between us I don't want to hurt any of them, but I am so happy you have gone out into the world and are using the talents and abilities God gave to be a big success. So many of the girls I talk to on here are pregnant or have a kid with another one on the way. I am so proud of you for setting goals beyond just being a mother."

As far as comfort zone goes, any time you move its going to be hard at first. It really hit me hard moving 2,000 miles from the closest friend or relative, but you start to find hobbies to keep you busy so you arent lonely. For me, it was getting into cars. You'll do just fine
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Lived in NY for my whole life. Then moved to MA for college. Back to NY. Now in AZ. I'll be moving to NJ after graduation. Probably spend a year before then in either Cali or some random state for externships. Life is a journey. Moving and meeting new, different, and unique people is part of that journey.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 04:30 AM   #5
bassholic
Rep
Drives: 3

why would you want to stay in your home town?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

I loved my home town...

I went to college within 15 minutes of my home town...

Since then, I've lived moved through St. Louis, Delaware, Small town Oklahoma, Kansas City and now Houston. I'm 25 and that was over 3 years.

IMO if you're limiting a job search to a specific region, you're limiting your career. Plus, moves are rarely permanent. Its a good opportunity if you're young. I also thought I'd want to live in Delaware my whole life... now I'm not so sure (Ok, I'll still retire there cus theres a beach house waiting, but that doesn't support my point).
2008 E92 M3 DCT (RIP) - Jet Black.Black.Carbon
Dinan, Wheels & Accessories for Sale
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
As real life is about to kick in for me in a couple of years, I find myself thinking more and more about this.

For the longest, I wanted to stay in Southern California, where I am now because I'm so accustomed to everything. But on the other hand, I can pretty much drive to my elementary, middle, high school, and university within 30 mins....feels like I really haven't had much growth.

I recently looked at life in a different way after talking with a friend, who stated that life is a journey, one should experience a new place and new ambiance in general....to take you out of your comfort zone.

Now I'm entertaining the idea of relocating to a different city, or country. I'm not tied down at all...no car payments, no house payment, no serious girlfriend, etc. so it would be pretty easy for me I think.

Anyone here ever relocate because of a job opportunity? Or liked a place so much that you moved first and then look for a job opening later?
I've moved three times. When all was said and done, it's been great. The people, new cities, some challenges....it helped me grow up. If you find the right job for you and the location at least seems attractive, I say jump off the dock and go for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I have move 4 times and they all were good experience, I went to college out of town and lived there year round, then moved from the east coast to CA then back home then move again. I also travels outside the US for my job which is always well worth it. Yeah it is nice to just stay where you grew up since it is conformable and easy but there is so much you miss out on by staying put. If you are willing to mover around there are so many opportunities that you would not otherwise have.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Farm boy from Southern Illinois here.

After college I moved to Chicago (1 year) --> NY (4 years) --> LA (4 years) --> Chicago (about 9 months now and probably forever).

Moved for work every time and wouldn't change those experiences for anything.

With everyone I've met who has been in your situation, I've always recommended that they move far away for at least a couple years. In the grand scheme it really isn't that long, but the amount you grow as a person is exponential.

In my case I think that being out on my own pushed me to succeed out of the shear terror of failing and being broke and alone 900 miles from home.

Do it do it do it!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I have to concur with everyone

I've lived a few places as well.. made me grow, forced me to develop new social skills in order to meet new people.
      05-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

Seems like everyone is pretty unanimous! I agree. I've moved quite a bit. It's a good way to learn about different people and cultures. Because life in different states and regions can vary quite a bit.
You may find something out there that you love, or you may learn that southern Cali is the place for you. And if that's the case, I can guarantee that you will appreciate it a lot more after seeing some of the other places you'd definitely not want to be in.

I was raised in NYC and moved a lot. Now, I'm happily (for the most part ) living in NJ, not terribly far from where I grew up.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Born in Hong Kong...moved to Taipei when I was 6...stayed in Taipei for about 3-4 years...

Back to Hong Kong until I was graduated from High School.

Then moved to Boston for college.

Moved to SoCal and stayed for a little with my relatives one year after graduation, and got a job couple years ago here in SoCal. Stayed in SoCal since....
      05-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
bassholic
Rep
Drives: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
I loved my home town...

I went to college within 15 minutes of my home town...

Since then, I've lived moved through St. Louis, Delaware, Small town Oklahoma, Kansas City and now Houston. I'm 25 and that was over 3 years.

IMO if you're limiting a job search to a specific region, you're limiting your career. Plus, moves are rarely permanent. Its a good opportunity if you're young. I also thought I'd want to live in Delaware my whole life... now I'm not so sure (Ok, I'll still retire there cus theres a beach house waiting, but that doesn't support my point).
What did you see in De and what area did you live in?

De born, UD grad, work to CT UConn MBA now, i'll figure out next stop in 2 yrs

Get the hell out of wherever you live. Think about all the different ladies you have the chance to befriend. I have an excellent ability to make any town small in a short matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I've done this.

A couple high school teachers have found me through facebook. When I tell them what I'm doing with my life and the career I landed by relocating, I've gotten nothing but compliments from them for journeying out on my own. this is what one of them had to say "Sara I am so happy for you. Don't get me wrong I love all the kids I taught, but you are the first on that has gotten the hell out of Pearl River County and made a great life. Please keep this between us I don't want to hurt any of them, but I am so happy you have gone out into the world and are using the talents and abilities God gave to be a big success. So many of the girls I talk to on here are pregnant or have a kid with another one on the way. I am so proud of you for setting goals beyond just being a mother."

As far as comfort zone goes, any time you move its going to be hard at first. It really hit me hard moving 2,000 miles from the closest friend or relative, but you start to find hobbies to keep you busy so you arent lonely. For me, it was getting into cars. You'll do just fine
hmmmmm
      05-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
hmmmmm
I was waiting for someone to comment on that...lol
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
I've lived all over the world and one thing I can say is that each time felt better than the last. Starting somewhere from scratch is a great feeling. Also, people need to go to the job, because it's not coming to them. Gotta make sacrifices. There are tons of jobs in Texas from what i've heard and it's an amazing state without the Cali/NY/FL prices. I'd live there if I wasn't in the Army.
      05-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I've done this.

What job do you have? I've heard that Utah is a really nice state.
      05-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #18
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
hooker full time, part time e-tease and a business is a boomin
      05-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #19
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Born in Beirut, moved to Los Angeles. Traveled all over; but, something about LA that I keep liking: the stupid dumb ass drivers. Now that I am a nurse, I am going to stay in Cali. I love it here, and this is where I will settle down with a nagger that probably will spend my money, and drive my hopeful future M3, which will make me grinch. oh well...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #20
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Market research analyst
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
I agree. Explore, EXPERIENCE different cultures and ways of life, meet new people, eat good food.

Nothing is sadder than some small-town town fella who never wants more out of life than the family flower shop and beers at the lake. But then, most of those people never know what they're missing and say, "Hey, I go to Gulf Shores once a year and have Google Maps - I'm totally worldly!"

Doesn't mean you have to move all over the world a million times, but I'd go where the jobs are in your industry.

And of course, TRAVEL! That's the best way, IMO - because there's no place like home, no matter where it may be. Good luck!

IMO, you gotta see what's out there and experience it before you can make an educated decision on what you like.
      05-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #22
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Sara, good for you! Strong women, FTW!