E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Where/how can I learn to drive stick?

08-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #45
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Grow a pair and drive one. My grandma drives stick and she's 78. Seriously what the hell is happening these days?
There are technology solutions to almost all daily problems. There is little need to use your head to solve problems anymore. Just swipe a credit card.
      08-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #46
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
There are technology solutions to almost all daily problems. There is little need to use your head to solve problems anymore. Just swipe a credit card.
What is this credit card you speak of?
      08-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #47
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

OP – I’m going to let you in on a little secret that only those of us that drive stick know, since you seem truly interested in learning.

This secret explains why we’re able to be faster than those monkeys that drive automatics (except for those with the more advanced automatic transmissions which admittedly can shift faster than any of us, like the Porsche PDK, etc)

It is called kinetic boost (“KB” for short) and every car with a standard transmission has it…think of it like the boosting mechanism in F1 that recovers energy from braking and translates it into boost at the driver’s whim.

So here’s the trick…drive along (I find 4th gear is a good gear for this) at somewhere about 1000 RPM’s just shy of redline…you’ve got to be pushing the car after all. At this point, the trick is a quick and immediate downshift into one gear lower (third in this case). What will follow is sudden euphoria as the car lunges forward like it is going to punch a hole in the hood…err, horizon, (just a typo there OP, ignore that) followed by mixed feelings of searing rage at self and nausea.

I know of only one driver (a friend of mine) who was skilled enough to pull off this maneuver heading along a skyway bridge…best of luck in your efforts and enjoy practicing this new little secret!

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #48
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
My ex girlfriend learned on the ride home from picking up her STI. My wife learned when she got her drivers license since 95% of cars in her country are manual and it was required to pass the test.

I learned when I was 15 years old. My dad took me to the school parking lot in our 1988 Isuzu Trooper II and taught me there. Stalled it about 5 times then it was off to the races.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #49
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Miata, 2006 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
OP – I’m going to let you in on a little secret that only those of us that drive stick know, since you seem truly interested in learning.

This secret explains why we’re able to be faster than those monkeys that drive automatics (except for those with the more advanced automatic transmissions which admittedly can shift faster than any of us, like the Porsche PDK, etc)

It is called kinetic boost (“KB” for short) and every car with a standard transmission has it…think of it like the boosting mechanism in F1 that recovers energy from braking and translates it into boost at the driver’s whim.

So here’s the trick…drive along (I find 4th gear is a good gear for this) at somewhere about 1000 RPM’s just shy of redline…you’ve got to be pushing the car after all. At this point, the trick is a quick and immediate downshift into one gear lower (third in this case). What will follow is sudden euphoria as the car lunges forward like it is going to punch a hole in the hood…err, horizon, (just a typo there OP, ignore that) followed by mixed feelings of searing rage at self and nausea.

I know of only one driver (a friend of mine) who was skilled enough to pull off this maneuver heading along a skyway bridge…best of luck in your efforts and enjoy practicing this new little secret!

That doesn't sound like such a good idea to me... Seems like a disaster waiting to happen...especially with the hole in the hood. No fun there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
My ex girlfriend learned on the ride home from picking up her STI. My wife learned when she got her drivers license since 95% of cars in her country are manual and it was required to pass the test.

I learned when I was 15 years old. My dad took me to the school parking lot in our 1988 Isuzu Trooper II and taught me there. Stalled it about 5 times then it was off to the races.
Thanks! Shouldn't be that hard I guess. All I really need now is the car itself...thats the only way I'll be able to learn.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #50
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A lot of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
I learned after I bought my first car.....a Fiero GT. Yeeeeyaaaaa.

My dad had to drive it home for me since I couldn't. Eventually I just took it out for a day and figured it out. Don't be scared about it.
This. Once you get to that point, it won't take long to learn it. Give yourself a full day in a manual transmission car and you'll have it down. Seriously don't stress it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #51
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

1) You are describing rev-matching.
2) This will redline the engine and damage it.
3) WTF is Kinetic Boost? Google doesn't know.
4) Rev-matching isn't a "feature".
5) Nothing having to do with F1 is going to be found in a common manual transmission.
6) I hope this was a joke that didn't land.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #52
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post

I had an ex do the same thing. Her Dad bought her a Honda Prelude and made her drive it home. She did.

My dad took our '85 Chevy Blazer with the gutless 2.8 V6 and hooked it up to a trailer, then loaded it with bricks. It was unbelievably hard to deal with at first, but once I comprehended the concept of how to take off, he unhooked the trailer, it was super easy after that!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #53
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarter124 View Post
5) Nothing having to do with F1 is going to be found in a common manual transmission.
LOL, as you can see, the person who posted that is called Jokerrr
      08-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #54
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
#6 is the answer to your concerns....and rev matching would be impossible based on what I described. At least I trolled someone.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #55
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Quote:
#6 is the answer to your concerns....and rev matching would be impossible based on what I described. At least I trolled someone.
<----- recalls email sent to all of his stick shift friends titled. "You gotta try this"
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #56
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Lol, didn't catch that.

Quote:
I figured, but man you just never know these days on the internet. What you described is actually possible, just takes some effort.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #57
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

I got lucky and had a roommate that drives a stick. We were driving home one day and he just pulled into some church parking lot and said "your turn". Did a couple laps, got good enough to drive home. A couple weeks later I bought an '03 Civic EX with 5-speed and have been DD'ing it.

A word of caution: now that I'm competent with a manual I find myself choosing to drive the civic instead of my 330i. It's not even fun anymore :-(
      08-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #58
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Lol, didn't catch that.

I figured, but man you just never know these days on the internet. What you described is actually possible, just takes some effort.

LOL - I know its possible. What wasn't a joke was I actually do have a buddy that did this (purely by mistake) - he was running his Sentra hard along a skybridge and tried to shift to fifth, but caught third instead.

He was just starting to let out the clutch when he felt the drag and realized it was all terribly wrong so he put the clutch back in (didn't fully let it out), but when he looked down, it was somewhere around 8100 RPM's

In a Sentra...

He felt pretty stupid. His second stupid act was telling me about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #59
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

youtube.
      08-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #60
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL - I know its possible. What wasn't a joke was I actually do have a buddy that did this (purely by mistake) - he was running his Sentra hard along a skybridge and tried to shift to fifth, but caught third instead.

He was just starting to let out the clutch when he felt the drag and realized it was all terribly wrong so he put the clutch back in (didn't fully let it out), but when he looked down, it was somewhere around 8100 RPM's

In a Sentra...

He felt pretty stupid. His second stupid act was telling me about it.
LMAO! I did it in a Civic once, thankfully it didn't blow up... amazingly.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #61
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Go on Craigslist, post the same question. I did my lesson for $40. Someone will have a Civic that they know the clutch won't fck up and let you learn on it.
I bought my Lancer afterwards (not Evo) and learned some more from picking it up in MidCal. Try not to drive around urban environments; long straight roads will get you well-situated soon.

No other thing comes close. Those shiftmatics feel nothing like a manual. They just feel tedious compared to a real stick.
      08-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #62
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

How does a child learn to walk, or to eat? My son first grabbed a hockey stick at 7 mos., and now he carries around a lefty stick in his right hand. Give him one of those puffs and he puts it in his hand, closes it in his fist, and does not open his fist to put it in his mouth. He will learn in the next few weeks. It will be much harder for him to learn to put the puff in his mouth, than it will be for the OP to learn to drive a manual. OP is an adult, not an infant.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #63
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
How does a child learn to walk, or to eat? My son first grabbed a hockey stick at 7 mos., and now he carries around a lefty stick in his right hand. Give him one of those puffs and he puts it in his hand, closes it in his fist, and does not open his fist to put it in his mouth. He will learn in the next few weeks. It will be much harder for him to learn to put the puff in his mouth, than it will be for the OP to learn to drive a manual. OP is an adult, not an infant.
Appreciate 0