E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Formula 1 Eni Magyar Nagydíj 2011

07-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Formula 1 Eni Magyar Nagydíj 2011

Back to back weekends before the long one month break!
Note to Vettel, don't mess up the safety car start.
Note to Schumi, stay away from the wall!!!

I'm 99% sure there will be just one DRS for this race, and 99% sure it will be at start-finish straight.

Towards the second half the season and Vettel still has 77 points lead. The races he did not win he still managed to be at P2 and only once not on podium this season. Still a strong performance this season, given all his competitors are taking points away from each other but not Vettel.

To be honest, Vettel can just make sure the car is competitive enough for enough points and sail to championship.

Race Date: 31 Jul 2011
Circuit Name: Hungaroring
Number of Laps: 70
Circuit Length: 4.381 km
Race Distance: 306.630 km
Lap Record: 1:19.071 - M Schumacher (2004)

Tire Compounds Provided:
Prime:
Soft (Yellow)
Option: Super Soft (Red)
Rain: Intermediate (Light Blue), Wet (Orange)

F1 TIMETABLE (Budapest Local Time)
Fri 29 July 2011
Practice 1
10:00 - 11:30
Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30
Sat 30 July 2011
Practice 3
11:00 - 12:00
Qualifying 14:00
Sun 31 July 2011
Race
14:00

F1 TIMETABLE (Pacific Time)
Fri 29 July 2011
Practice 1
01:00 - 02:30
Practice 2 05:00 - 06:30
Sat 30 July 2011
Practice 3
02:00 - 03:00
Qualifying 05:00
Sun 31 July 2011
Race
05:00

F1 TIMETABLE (Eastern Time)
Fri 29 July 2011
Practice 1
04:00 - 05:30
Practice 2 08:00 - 09:30
Sat 30 July 2011
Practice 3
05:00 - 06:00
Qualifying 08:00
Sun 31 July 2011
Race
08:00

P.S. SpeedTV resumes Normal service! All Live Broadcast back to SPEED, No more FOX!!! There are still commercials tho.
Attached Images

Last edited by E90SLAM; 07-27-2011 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Buemi punished for Heidfeld clash

Quote:
Sebastien Buemi has been handed a five-place grid penalty at the Hungarian Grand Prix for his part in a collision with Nick Heidfeld during the German Grand Prix.

Heidfeld was recovering from an early coming together with Paul di Resta when he tried to pass Buemi around the outside under braking for the chicane. Having defended the inside line, Buemi then moved back across to the racing line, giving Heidfeld no room and causing the Renault to launch off the side of the Toro Rosso.

Heidfeld said that it was a dangerous move as Buemi's forcefulness left him as no more than a passenger as he tried to brake on the wet grass.

"He blocked the left-hand side, as he is allowed to do, but when I went to his right-hand side he just moved over on me," Heidfeld said. "He must have known I was there. I had a lot more speed than him and was on my way to pass. He just didn't give me any room and pushed me on to the grass and after that there was nothing I could do. It was an accident which couldn't be avoided. It's never nice being up in the air in one of these cars, and it could have been dangerous."
http://en.espnf1.com/germany/motorsp...ory/55220.html
      07-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I felt that's warranted.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
FIA announces Hungary DRS

Quote:
The DRS zone for this weekend's Hungarian GP will be on the main start-finish straight, the FIA have announced.

The Hungaroring has traditionally been a relatively difficult track to pass on but despite this the FIA have decided to go with only one DRS zone.

The zone will start 70 metres after the apex of the final corner, with the detection point slightly in front of the final turn.
http://planetf1.com/driver/3213/7062...oring-DRS-zone

Quote:
The FIA has announced that there will be just one DRS zone at the Hungarian Grand Prix, as at the last two races in Germany and Britain.

The governing body had trialled two zones in the previous races in Canada and Valencia, but that system requires a track layout with two straights in close proximity to one another. The tight and twisty nature of the Hungaroring means that only one DRS zone is possible, and it has been placed on the start-finish straight.

The medium speed circuit has been notoriously difficult to pass at in previous years as it is frequently described by the teams as 'Monaco without the walls'. In order to encourage overtaking in to turn one, the DRS activation point has been placed 70 metres after the apex of the final corner, allowing drivers to open the rear wing prior to straightening the car up on exit.

The detection point is located between turns thirteen and fourteen.
http://en.espnf1.com/hungary/motorsp...ory/55318.html
      07-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Subbed like usual! Can't wait for it!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Back to the glorified Karting track . At least Monaco and Valencia have nice eye candy to look at.

Fingers crossed that DRS and the new tires make this an exciting race.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Looking forward to this.

I'm going to be so lost without F1 for a month, plus Top Gear is ending soon as well
      07-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

ditto.

it's boring to watch and awesome to drive apparently
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
back to back weekends are always nice

any word on what tires will be used?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Soft and Super-Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
back to back weekends are always nice

any word on what tires will be used?
Ah yes..I almost forgot...

Quote:
Soft and supersoft tyres face warm weather for the first time

What’s the story?
After the fast corners and cool temperatures of Silverstone and the Nurburgring, the tight and twisty Hungaroring on the outskirts of Budapest in Hungary – which is normally characterised by hot weather at this time of year – presents a stark contrast for the Pirelli P Zero tyres. The Hungaroring was inaugurated in 1986, after just eight months of construction work, as the first grand prix in Eastern Europe.
Since then it has proved to be extraordinarily popular, even though it is used very infrequently outside of the grand prix. This is key to one of the circuit’s main features: a dusty, slippery surface that progressively rubbers in over the course of the weekend. This puts grip at a premium, which is one of the reasons why Pirelli has brought the P Zero Yellow soft and P Zero Red supersoft tyres to the Hungaroring. The 16 corners are tight and narrow, similar to Monte Carlo, with a low average speed. This makes the circuit ideally suited to the softer tyres in Pirelli’s P Zero range, although this is the first time all season that the supersoft will face competition in very warm weather.
While it rained in Budapest over the weekend, temperatures for the race are expected to be in the region of 26 or 27 degrees centigrade, meaning that the drivers will have to think about conserving their tyres. With the Hungaroring renowned as a track where overtaking is difficult, like Monaco, the teams are presented with a chance to make up places through clever use of tyre strategy – and this is sure to be one of the focal points of the weekend.
Spectators are able to see a lot of the action at first hand as from most vantage points 80% of the circuit is visible, due to its location in a natural bowl. The track surface itself tends to be bumpy, testing traction to the limit as well.
For this race, there will be no allocation of extra tyres for free practice, leaving teams with their normal 11 sets of tyres for the weekend.

Pirelli’s Motorsport Director says
Paul Hembery: “Hungary certainly couldn’t be more different to the races we have seen recently, as we found out when we went to the Hungaroring for our first season of the GP3 series last year. However, as the GP3 tyres are completely different to those we race in Formula One, there’s not much that we learned apart from an initial idea of what to expect: high temperatures and a slippery track surface. The big challenge for the teams and drivers is going to be keeping tyre wear under control in the warm conditions, but we have used the P Zero Yellow soft tyre in warm weather before and it has shown good performance. The supersoft tyre is almost certain to result in some quick qualifying laps but obviously it doesn’t have the same resistance to wear. How the teams juggle the parameters of speed and durability will once again form the key to their different strategies. There has been plenty of drama at the Hungaroring in the past and with so many new elements to the racing this year, I hope we’re in for another exciting grand prix. ”

The men behind the steering wheel say
Vitaly Petrov (Lotus Renault GP): “We had plenty of good potential in Monaco and Canada, both of which have similar characteristics to the Hungaroring, so I’m hopeful of another good race in Hungary. Canada was slightly different, because we used the wet and intermediate tyres, which should not be the case in Hungary, but our performance on this type of circuit is good. One of our biggest challenges so far this season has been to get up to speed with the tyres straight away in free practice, so that we are well prepared for qualifying. This will be even more important than usual in Hungary, where it is easy to have understeer but quite difficult to overtake. We will also need to understand how long we are able to run on the supersoft, which is going to be a crucial part of the strategy for everyone. So far the Pirelli tyres have been fun to drive and the performance has been good when we get the best out of them – like when I was on the podium in Australia at the start of the year – but in general I think we need to find a bit more consistency.”

TECHNICAL NOTES

* The Hungaroring is one of the lowest grip circuits of the year, which means that tyre wear is not particularly extreme. However, the high temperatures, non-stop succession of corners and low average speeds with little airflow make it one of the most physically demanding races of the year for the drivers. It has only rained once there, in 2006.

* The unusual layout of the Hungarian circuit is well-known for producing several new winners. Damon Hill (1993), Fernando Alonso (2003), Jenson Button (2006) and Heikki Kovalainen (2008) all took their debut wins at the Hungaroring.

* The Hungaroring requires a high-downforce set-up, as the cars are on full throttle for only around 10 seconds over the course of the 4.381-kilometre lap. Soft suspension settings at the rear help to optimise the mechanical grip and traction out of all the corners, but this can cause excessive loading on the rear tyres.
* Pirelli’s first activity in Hungary was via the cables business, which was subsequently sold, but the company has since grown to be one of the leading players in the Eastern European tyre market, with the emphasis on winter tyre sales.

* Pirelli had never raced on a circuit in Hungary prior to the 2010 GP3 Series. However, the Italian company has enjoyed numerous successes on the Hungarian Rally Championship.

* Pirelli supplies Suzuki with original equipment in Hungary, which has been the biggest manufacturer importer into Hungary for more than 10 years.
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ne...an-grand-prix/
      07-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
At the German Grand Prix Pirelli will pair the medium and soft compounds, with the softs and super-softs lined up for the tight and twisty Hungaroring.
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/52950.html
      07-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
subbed!!!!
      07-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Subbed! Great season so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

07-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thanks for posting those articles, E90. I don't even need to go to F1.com anymore, lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
holy crap, they actually take apart and rebuild those buildings for each race weekend? o_o

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Is there a particular reason that an Italian oil company is sponsoring the Hungarian GP instead of say, the Italian GP, when Hungary is not particularly Oil or Gas rich?

Yes, the buildings are built for each GP, but they're modular and most of them collapse into a single semi-trailer, a grown-up Erector set, if you will. I'll see if i can find the article i read a few weeks ago about them.
      07-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #18
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arggg45 View Post
Is there a particular reason that an Italian oil company is sponsoring the Hungarian GP instead of say, the Italian GP, when Hungary is not particularly Oil or Gas rich?

Yes, the buildings are built for each GP, but they're modular and most of them collapse into a single semi-trailer, a grown-up Erector set, if you will. I'll see if i can find the article i read a few weeks ago about them.
Not necessary the major event sponsor has to be nation related.
You can see Santander as a Spanish Bank has huge existence in many European Races and even Chinese Grand Prix this year.

Maybe its just Eni bid on and signed contract with the FOM to be major sponsor of Hungarian GP (and Turkish GP too???)
Even tho its an Italian oil company, maybe they have a huge facilities and exploration and existance in Central and Eastern europe? Just like BP in Houston, Southern California and Alaska.

i'd say its just the highest bidder to get the major sponsor for each event with the FOM.
      07-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #19
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Soft and Super Soft? Music to my earholes. Should be great!

Also, I'd like to see a time-lapse of one of those buildings going up. Always thought they were pretty cool.
      07-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #20
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Not necessary the major event sponsor has to be nation related.
You can see Santander as a Spanish Bank has huge existence in many European Races and even Chinese Grand Prix this year.

Maybe its just Eni bid on and signed contract with the FOM to be major sponsor of Hungarian GP (and Turkish GP too???)
Even tho its an Italian oil company, maybe they have a huge facilities and exploration and existance in Central and Eastern europe? Just like BP in Houston, Southern California and Alaska.

i'd say its just the highest bidder to get the major sponsor for each event with the FOM.
To be completely honest, i was just pointing it out, thinking they would be trying to sponsor the Italian GP, since they are an Italian company. (Who is the title sponsor of the Italian GP this year?)

Santander has international banking operations in areas that F1 races.

Eni's operations are in Libya, Egypt, Nigeria, the Congo, the North Sea, Angola, and China.
      07-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #21
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Also, I'd like to see a time-lapse of one of those buildings going up. Always thought they were pretty cool.
yes, that would be pretty cool, those things look massive and pretty crazy that they were able to build them, take them apart, move them a few thousand miles away and rebuild them, all in less than one week
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #22
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
+2