E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Experience with corrupt cops?

01-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Experience with corrupt cops?

Just curious if anyone here has any run-ins with corrupt cops before. Keep in mind there's a difference from corrupt and lazy, lazy is they just don't want to do their work, corrupt is the intentional act of something wrong. (i.e. lying, bribes, etc.)

I can't really talk about what's going on but I can say that I recently had a run-in with an officer that flat out lied to give me a ticket. Not bending the truth, not adding something on to make it look/sound worse. I mean came up with a lie straight out of his ***.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen?
      01-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

inb4 "pig" comments
      01-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Do you have proof he lied?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I have never experienced this, and when I hear things like this it concerns me greatly for my profession. If you have any way to prove it, you should speak to the department's internal affairs division. If you don't, be very careful with how you proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
yes. when i had my GSXR i got pulled over by the same damn cop 7 days in a row, 2 blocks from my house, and given a fixing ticket for different things every time.

Improper license plate mount, blue wind screen, cracked glass on the headlight, turn signals too small and i even got one for improper footwear. Apparently you are supposed to wear boots when you ride a bike.

He was a complete dick, but soon has disappeared from my neighborhood. I guess enough people complained.

All of my tickets were dismissed when i brought them to court and showed to the judge that all 7 tickets were from consecutive dates.
      01-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Do you have proof he lied?
No. But I know he lied, and I know I'm not confused or remembering wrong. This type of thing sticks with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I have never experienced this, and when I hear things like this it concerns me greatly for my profession. If you have any way to prove it, you should speak to the department's internal affairs division. If you don't, be very careful with how you proceed.
Will do. Am taking action but what action I can not say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
yes. when i had my GSXR i got pulled over by the same damn cop 7 days in a row, 2 blocks from my house, and given a fixing ticket for different things every time.

Improper license plate mount, blue wind screen, cracked glass on the headlight, turn signals too small and i even got one for improper footwear. Apparently you are supposed to wear boots when you ride a bike.

He was a complete dick, but soon has disappeared from my neighborhood. I guess enough people complained.

All of my tickets were dismissed when i brought them to court and showed to the judge that all 7 tickets were from consecutive dates.
Sounds like the cop I ran into.
      01-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post

Do you have a problem with him for writing you up for you and your bike not being lawfully equipped? Or was he an actual dick about it?

I have a hard time seeing him as a dick for the simple fact that he wrote you up for ignoring regs. When I rode, I had plenty of friends with illegally mounted non-DOT flush blinkers and bobbing plates, and all of them seemed to think it was the cop being a dick when they got nabbed for it.... The whole biker "me against the world" attitude. Boots.... man.... I thought that one was common knowledge....

My point is, if you're calling him a dick for writing you up, that's not his fault. If it was the way he went about it, then maybe he was a dick. But even as part of the riding community out there, the whole "they're all out to get us" routine got old as hell damn quick.

Besides, the equipment regs (such as 9" separation in rear blinkers and no clear taillights) aren't even CA's "fault". That's federal DOT shit.

Last edited by ragingclue; 01-14-2011 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Not me personally, but back when I was in high school a friend of mine in another school district had his high school's resource officer tell his government class that if you go 10mph over the speed limit the police can't write you a ticket, just a warning. I have no idea if this is true but he said for the next few days other officers were doing speed traps on most of the big roads near the high school and apparently they got a few guys going like 5-10 mph over.

My resource officer told my class the exact same thing, and I have no idea what to believe any more
      01-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
In b4 "always carry Krispy Kreme Gift Certificate with you" comment.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
In b4 "always carry Krispy Kreme Gift Certificate with you" comment.
It worked for Gabriel Iglesias...
      01-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

only in mexico. went to rosarito and my crew got pulled over and we had to pay them off. forget how much...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #12
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
Not me personally, but back when I was in high school a friend of mine in another school district had his high school's resource officer tell his government class that if you go 10mph over the speed limit the police can't write you a ticket, just a warning. I have no idea if this is true but he said for the next few days other officers were doing speed traps on most of the big roads near the high school and apparently they got a few guys going like 5-10 mph over.

My resource officer told my class the exact same thing, and I have no idea what to believe any more
Totally not true, have known people that have received tickets for 2mph over.
      01-15-2011, 02:32 AM   #13
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post

Not even close to true, some officers have a number they go by, AL state troopers do 10% of the speed limit over, so if its 65 they MIGHT allow 6.5 over, but its still not a law, just what some go by. I once got a ticket for 2 over, but got it thrown out of court when I got there because the head of state troopers said they aren't supposed to be writing for that little.
      01-15-2011, 03:23 AM   #14
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Thumbs down

I have been worked over by the local police in cities like Istanbul Mexico City. But, they usually want money...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
molossus
batman
Rep
Drives: 335i

corrupt cops are the best cause you can pay them off
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #16
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by molossus View Post
corrupt cops are the best cause you can pay them off

I have to deal with DOT and Sanitation police everyday. When my trucks get pulled over they receive at least 10 tickets. I actually had one in my hand the other day that made me laugh. It was for my turn signal. The officer thought it was a marker light. He said it was not functioning properly because it wasn't illuminated. Obviously not, the turn signal wasn't on. The driver even showed him. The officer said, "Don't worry about it. Its none of your concern. Let your boss worry about it."

It's about money. Not safety. At least not in the 5 boroughs.

Personally, I only had one experience with a corrupt cop. I was much younger. At 17, I was held for over and hour and had my car searched and I was asked to sit on the curb and I was breathalyzed. My parents had always warned me to be extremely polite. It finally ended with me getting an unsafe start ticket. Which made no sense because I had been driving for the last 5 miles without stopping. I asked the officer how I started unsafely when he handed me the ticket. He got really upset and told me that he could arrest me for reckless driving and that it would be the word of a 17 year old vs a police officer. I was shocked. That's when his female partner yells out to one of the other officers that was now leaving that I should have gotten my car in a convertible. And they all had a good laugh. That was the first ticket I ever got.

The ticket was thrown out because the officer never showed up after I had to go to court 3 times. It's hard to put that kind of power in the hands of a person. They know there are very limited consequences for their actions. My sister was recently pulled over for the first time in her entire life. She is 29. The first thing that came out of the cops mouth was, "You fucking bitch!" Needless to say the ticket was thrown out because her boyfriend was in the car, who just so happens to be a lawyer. The police officer was part of one of the families in my town that all become cops. So nothing happened to the cop, he even tried to deny that he said what he said.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #17
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk335i View Post
Totally not true, have known people that have received tickets for 2mph over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Not even close to true, some officers have a number they go by, AL state troopers do 10% of the speed limit over, so if its 65 they MIGHT allow 6.5 over, but its still not a law, just what some go by. I once got a ticket for 2 over, but got it thrown out of court when I got there because the head of state troopers said they aren't supposed to be writing for that little.
Haha I thought so. I mean the guy (former Marine) said it with a straight face and really made it sound true, but hopefully too many of us didn't buy it. So far no tickets for me
      01-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
only in mexico. went to rosarito and my crew got pulled over and we had to pay them off. forget how much...
I once paid off mexican cops with tacos and a can of coke once. I had to go buy lunch again. True story.
      01-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk335i View Post
No. But I know he lied, and I know I'm not confused or remembering wrong. This type of thing sticks with you.
Man that sucks. Hopefully you get the issue resolved.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
For anything other than school zones and residential, I give 15 mph before I even bother stopping, unless you are driving like a complete twat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Just once. This cop in the neighboring town where I used to live wrote me up when I was heading out on my bike for a long day of riding. As I got on the highway I saw him come down the onramp and start pulling up behind me. I kept it well below the PSL. He tailgated me for a mile or so. Then he hit lights and siren to pull me over. Wrote *me* up for tailgating, illegal passing, and 15 over the PSL. Mind you, we were all alone. There were no cars for me to tailgate or pass and I was well under the PSL. I told him he was nuts and he went ballistic, yelling at me and saying, "This is for all the times you did these things and didn't get caught."

I immediately drove back to the police station to complain, but they just said take it to court, which I did. The a$$hole didn't show up, so they dropped it. Still ruined my day of riding. I had friends who were cops in the state police and the neighboring town police force. Both hated this guy and said he was a whacko and should never have been allowed on the force.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #22
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Had a run in with a old racist cop in my conservative socal town..he pulled me over for some bogus reason, he thought I was hispanic (i have a nice tan so sue me!) and went on a tirade calling me every single derogatory word you can call a hispanic in the book (some that I didnt even know!), my dad was actually following me so pulled up behind the cop and after they talked for a minute, the cop came back with a completely different attitude and was actually NICE, called me "son" and "be safe" and then left...in retrospect i should have gotten his badge number and reported him...

An LAPD friend of mine told me that there are certain police departments that even HE wouldn't want to deal with for that very same reason...hmmm...
Appreciate 0