E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anybody ever did a one-way roadtrip with a rental?

06-29-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Anybody ever did a one-way roadtrip with a rental?

I'm talking about long long road trips here - I was looking up rates from Hertz and was getting about 399/week for an SUV if the trip was to start/end in CA but when I input values for a one-way roadtrip from San Diego to New York, the rate jumps to a whopping $609/week! Damn! I don't know if the premium cost is due to the fact they take into consideration that their inventory is being moved around the country or whether additional risks are involved (vehicular wise).

Anybody have any tips? I checked Hertz, Enterprise, Avis - all to no avail - they're charging arms/legs for CA -> NY rentals!

EDIT: At $609/week I'd easily take over someone's X3 lease with a few months remaining!
      06-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
I'm talking about long long road trips here - I was looking up rates from Hertz and was getting about 399/week for an SUV if the trip was to start/end in CA but when I input values for a one-way roadtrip from San Diego to New York, the rate jumps to a whopping $609/week! Damn! I don't know if the premium cost is due to the fact they take into consideration that their inventory is being moved around the country or whether additional risks are involved (vehicular wise).

Anybody have any tips? I checked Hertz, Enterprise, Avis - all to no avail - they're charging arms/legs for CA -> NY rentals!

EDIT: At $609/week I'd easily take over someone's X3 lease with a few months remaining!
Try Hotwire for rentals as well as airports. One-way is going to cost more tough!
      06-29-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Yes it's going to be expensive because they don't want someone putting 2500mi on the car in a week. Also they'll need to truck it back or re-register the car in NY.

You can try Dollar or Budget too. It might be slightly cheaper.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0