E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Android users - am I crazy?

10-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #89
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
But where did you get the info that Apple does?
"At times Apple may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with Apple to provide products and services, or that help Apple market to customers."

Taken from here. https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #90
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
"At times Apple may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with Apple to provide products and services, or that help Apple market to customers."

Taken from here. https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/
C'mon man, on the same paragraph from which you extracted that sentence is this:

"Personal information will only be shared by Apple to provide or improve our products, services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes."
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #91
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
C'mon man, on the same paragraph from which you extracted that sentence is this:

"Personal information will only be shared by Apple to provide or improve our products, services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes."
So it does.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #92
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
So it does.
Yeah, you really pulled that out of context to make it look like something it wasn't.

Entire paragraph:

Quote:
At times Apple may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with Apple to provide products and services, or that help Apple market to customers. For example, when you purchase and activate your iPhone, you authorize Apple and your carrier to exchange the information you provide during the activation process to carry out service. If you are approved for service, your account will be governed by Apple and your carrier’s respective privacy policies. Personal information will only be shared by Apple to provide or improve our products, services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #93
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

I didn't start this thread so it would be another iOS vs. Android fan competition. I was actually considering the X_ and wanted thoughts of Android users who had experience with both platforms. I've now mostly decided on Android and was soliciting feedback on particular phones.

Can we not get into the weeds on Apple vs. Android. I'm actually lukewarm on both and feel that BB OS10 and WP8.1/10 were far ahead of where we are with iOS and Oreo (haven't used Pie) ... but that's the reality.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #94
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Yeah, you really pulled that out of context to make it look like something it wasn't.

Entire paragraph:
Sure did. I'm bored. Are you starting to get the notion that I have nothing better to do at the moment than yank your chain.

Let's start a new topic. iPhones assume people's gender.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #95
________
________
Rep

Fair enough fellow Canuck.

Just to clarify I do not think people should abandon Android in favour of Apple. People just use the phone that they feel adjusts to their needs and preferences the most. Just pointing out their differences in approach to privacy.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #96
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
So much misinformation here. Its astounding. The text from the Privacy Policy basically spelled it out, and it was pasted above.

Apple does the exact same thing with your information that the other giants (Facebook, Google, Microsoft, for example) do. While they do not sell it directly, they provide a way for advertisers a use the data to serve targeted ads to you.

iOS is NOT more private/secure than Android by simply not being associated with Google.

Security and privacy come down to the apps you use. You have to grant specific permissions for them, if you are unsettled by the permissions something requires, you can choose to not use it. Simple as that.

The one spot where I believe Android has the edge is the open source nature of Android. Anyone can check out the code and find/fix bugs that could cause loss of privacy or other types of intrusions.

One spot where I believe iOS has the edge is the strict review of every app that ends up on the App Store. (I have several apps published on both Google Play and App Store, the later, is a pain in the rear).

But in the end, if you want 100% data privacy on your phone, Get a "dumb" flip phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #97
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlof View Post
So much misinformation here. Its astounding. The text from the Privacy Policy basically spelled it out, and it was pasted above.

Apple does the exact same thing with your information that the other giants (Facebook, Google, Microsoft, for example) do. While they do not sell it directly, they provide a way for advertisers a use the data to serve targeted ads to you.

iOS is NOT more private/secure than Android by simply not being associated with Google.

Security and privacy come down to the apps you use. You have to grant specific permissions for them, if you are unsettled by the permissions something requires, you can choose to not use it. Simple as that.

The one spot where I believe Android has the edge is the open source nature of Android. Anyone can check out the code and find/fix bugs that could cause loss of privacy or other types of intrusions.

One spot where I believe iOS has the edge is the strict review of every app that ends up on the App Store. (I have several apps published on both Google Play and App Store, the later, is a pain in the rear).

But in the end, if you want 100% data privacy on your phone, Get a "dumb" flip phone.
Big text to claim stuff without sources...
Your myths have been dispelled already...

If you have sources I'm willing to entertain...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #98
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Its literally word for word in the privacy policy. Scroll up.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #99
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Its literally word for word in the privacy policy. Scroll up.
I was the one that posted it dude.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #100
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok? Do you have a reading comprehension issue? The statement that was posted gives them full rights to use your data however they want as long as they do not give it away.

This is exactly what Google does as well. They do not give(sell) your data away, they provide a conduit for advertising to target you based on your activities.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #101
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Who posted that privacy policy?
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #102
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Ok? Do you have a reading comprehension issue? The statement that was posted gives them full rights to use your data however they want as long as they do not give it away.

This is exactly what Google does as well. They do not give(sell) your data away, they provide a conduit for advertising to target you based on your activities.
Maybe I am stupid as you claim.

But my understanding is different than yours.

Apple:

Personal information will only be shared by Apple to provide or improve our products, services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.

Non-personal information:

"Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect data in a form that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:

We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, referrer URL, location, and the time zone where an Apple product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising.
We may collect information regarding customer activities on our website, iCloud services, our iTunes Store, App Store, Mac App Store, App Store for Apple TV and iBooks Stores and from our other products and services. This information is aggregated and used to help us provide more useful information to our customers and to understand which parts of our website, products, and services are of most interest. Aggregated data is considered non‑personal information for the purposes of this Privacy Policy.
We may collect and store details of how you use our services, including search queries. This information may be used to improve the relevancy of results provided by our services. Except in limited instances to ensure quality of our services over the Internet, such information will not be associated with your IP address.
With your explicit consent, we may collect data about how you use your device and applications in order to help app developers improve their apps.
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined."

Google:

When Google shares your information
We do not share your personal information with companies, organizations, or individuals outside of Google except in the following cases:

With your consent (this "consent" is, as proven, most often HIDDEN in apps and defaulted to "YES", and sometimes if you don't consent, the app is inoperable as designed)

We’ll share personal information outside of Google when we have your consent. For example, if you use Google Home to request a ride from a ride-sharing service, we’ll get your permission before sharing your address with that service. We’ll ask for your explicit consent to share any sensitive personal information.

We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners — like publishers, advertisers, developers, or rights holders. For example, we share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services. We also allow specific partners to collect information from your browser or device for advertising and measurement purposes using their own cookies or similar technologies.

https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en#infosharing

Again, instead of trying to ridicule or name-call, you could've just posted sources or figures to back your claims. Enjoy your android phone in good health.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #103
________
________
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Of course it had to be you Judy!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #104
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Of course it had to be you Judy!

Please forgive me. I'm in a cheeky ass mood today. I've been a pain in everyone's ass today.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #105
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Didn't say you were stupid, but the facts are literally right in front of you.

The fact of the matter is, both Privacy Policies allow for essentially the same thing, Google is just much more explicit about it. Google also has a hell of a lot more avenues for data than Apple ever will. The sheer quantity that Google collects vs. Apple is obvious, but Apple likes to claim that this is by design, when in fact its just a side-effect of being in a much smaller market.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #106
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here's a question. Why do people by iPhones versus and Android devices or vice versa?

I'd be interested in hearing everyone's answers.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #107
Draven
C7Z - Darkside
Rep
Drives: '18 Z06 M7

I manage about 700 organization-owned iOS devices at work. Apple is fantastic when it comes to business. Their single ecosystem makes everything MUCH friendlier and far more secure. I also manage about 600 BYOD devices. Of them, about 70 Android devices including my own. ; ) Android is for people who use the phone for more advanced functionality. They're both great for normal use, but Android is definitely better at doing more advanced functions. Apple has the compatibility market though, for sure. Apple Carplay far outweighs the Android equivalent. I wish BMW would offer both.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #108
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's a question. Why do people by iPhones versus and Android devices or vice versa?

I'd be interested in hearing everyone's answers.
I think its a personal choice more than anything else.

Someone who is already deeply invested in Apple (owns macbook, ipad, etc) is more likely to want an iphone for the integration.

Android is more agnostic I think.

I've owned both over the years, but find the customization of Android more suited to my lifestyle. I also use a macbook, and an ipad as my laptop/tablet of choice.

As a developer, I find myself regularly using other technologies (I own several iphones, windows computers, linux, etc) when building cross platform systems. So the lines are even more blurred for me.

A long time ago I was a developer for a heavily used Open Source operating system that eventually was forked into what is part of OSX today. That open sourceness under the covers is what drove me to be a regular macbook user versus anything else. I also carry some deep-seeded (and mostly unfounded these days) hatred for all things Microsoft, but thats a story for another day.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      10-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #109
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Apple has the compatibility market though, for sure. Apple Carplay far outweighs the Android equivalent. I wish BMW would offer both.
One of the advantages to controlling both the software and the hardware. Android had to make a lot of concessions to be able to support a wide range of hardware. This goes for both iPhone/iPad/iOS and Mac/OSX.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #110
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think its a personal choice more than anything else.

Someone who is already deeply invested in Apple (owns macbook, ipad, etc) is more likely to want an iphone for the integration.

Android is more agnostic I think.

I've owned both over the years, but find the customization of Android more suited to my lifestyle. I also use a macbook, and an ipad as my laptop/tablet of choice.

As a developer, I find myself regularly using other technologies (I own several iphones, windows computers, linux, etc) when building cross platform systems. So the lines are even more blurred for me.

A long time ago I was a developer for a heavily used Open Source operating system that eventually was forked into what is part of OSX today. That open sourceness under the covers is what drove me to be a regular macbook user versus anything else. I also carry some deep-seeded (and mostly unfounded these days) hatred for all things Microsoft, but thats a story for another day.
Solid answer. Thank you and I agree completely with everything you've just stated.

I worked in the cell phone industry for years. As stated previously, I've carried Windows Mobile, RIM, Pa1m, Apple, and Android. My personal preference in the end was Android.

My reason in asking this is that much of the time you can't tell anything about a person by what they buy, but why they buy. I will say that in all my years, I have never heard of anyone citing security of a device being the reason they chose what device they carry. I have heard everything from Open Source versus IOS, my wife bought it for me, Apple's ecosystem to everyone else has one. The last one is always my favorite. Rarely do you hear anyone admit to buying a device based off of advertising.

Due to a previous job I had in marketing, anytime that my children would state that they wanted something, I would always ask why. They, of course, would then begin their sales pitch of it does this, it does that. Advertising/Marketing has a strong impression on why people buy certain items and rarely does anyone admit to "just simply wanting it."
Appreciate 0