E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Am I the only one who thinks this is a cheap tactic from automakers including BMW!?

08-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
vzm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Am I the only one who thinks this is a cheap tactic from automakers including BMW!?

I have seen this article pop up in several places, just doesn't seem right.

http://www.inquisitr.com/295943/fake...many-new-cars/

Last edited by vzm3; 08-08-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I just wonder who thought it up and why others copied it?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

I was outraged when I first heard about this on the M5 and I think it is very tacky for a car of this caliber, or any car for that matter, having fake engine sounds. I know that if I had a car that did this I would bypass it if at all possible. I understand the reason behind it, but don't agree with it. I don't even agree with the passive "noise pipes."
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Agree, very lame. I just hope one has the option of disabling it. Although I'd love to have it on a Prius, pipe in the sound of a '60s muscle car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
IMHO if one cannot tell if the exhaust is real or fake then one should be better off with a bicycle

On a serious note there is nothing cheep about the automakers pumping engine exhaust sound over the speakers (if that is what the car purchaser likes to hear).

Automakers are just keeping up with the demand out there and the competition. More and more engines are turbo charged and as a result are smoother and produce less noise.

I saw a German TV program (on DW ... Das Automobile Magaziene) where a electric car produced a sound like it had an engine, without it it would be very quiet as we all know.

The article that the OP refers to is by Nathan Francis and based on a story that originally was published by Popular Mechanics.

Let us go easy on accusing car manufacturers of cheep tactics all they are doing is keeping up with the changing times and demands of the consumer.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
AndyK.
Creepin.
Rep
Drives: .

Should stick to pure engine sound whether it sounds good or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

Even more reason to keep our V8s. I don't have a problem hearing it at all.
Mods: |Electronic Performance Steering Wheel|ZCP CF Spoiler|ZCP CF Spliters|ZCP CF Mirrors|Edition Front Grilles|Edition Side Grilles|BMW Performance Brake Handle|3D Design Pedals| Style Rumore Exhaust|H&R Springs|LCI Tails|Challenge CF Door Panels|

Last edited by Lagunae92; 08-08-2012 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ever seen the movie "The Dilemma"?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Agree. Artificial engine sounds is

Makes you wonder what will be next?
  • Video panels in the side-mirrors from an artificial camera feed?
  • Two buttons on the instrument panel for "Forward" and "Reverse" as your only drivetrain options?

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWeiss View Post
I was outraged when I first heard about this on the M5 and I think it is very tacky for a car of this caliber, or any car for that matter, having fake engine sounds. I know that if I had a car that did this I would bypass it if at all possible. I understand the reason behind it, but don't agree with it. I don't even agree with the passive "noise pipes."

Please educate me.... I don't understand the reason behind it.

Seems to me you decide that you want to hear outside noise, including engine, or you don't. I am confused why someone would chose to get a quiet car only to have it pump in artificial sound.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

The article says the noise is to remind the driver of how much horsepower they have. I thought thats what the accelerator pedal is for.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo View Post

Seems to me you decide that you want to hear outside noise, including engine, or you don't. I am confused why someone would chose to get a quiet car only to have it pump in artificial sound.
To hear the desirable sounds while keeping out the undesirable ones. You can keep out traffic and tire noise, while still enjoying your exhaust sound.

Honestly, how is all this any different than an electric vs. acoustic guitar?
      08-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo View Post

Turbo V-8 in new M5 doesn't make the same wonderful noise as old V-10. As more and more automakers make due with less (cylinders) exhaust note just isn't the same as it used to be. Not a matter of choice here.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
To hear the desirable sounds while keeping out the undesirable ones. You can keep out traffic and tire noise, while still enjoying your exhaust sound.

Honestly, how is all this any different than an electric vs. acoustic guitar?
True.... but it's fake!

So, I get a Prius and have a system that pipes in the engine sound of a Ferrari and I feel.... what?
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

First they calibrate the speedo to over-report actual speed. Now this.

Reminds me of that famous scene in "When Harry Met Sally."

My first mod would be to disconnect that speaker.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Apolonios
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

I wouldn't have a problem if it was a microphone on the exhaust system pumping the sound into the cabin. It would still be ok if the added some filters/effects to make it sound a bit nicer.

However if I understand correctly the way the M5 do it is that it is playing recording of the M5 engine that's synched to the current revs that you are going (Please correct if this is wrong!!).

IF this is the case then it sets a bad precedent since it somewhat diminishes the value of the sound of the car. What's to stop future car makers from taking it further... Mustang GT's with the sound of the GT500, 328i's sounding like M3's.

I don't what to hear what an M3 engine in a sound lab sounds like, I want to hear what my engine sounds like and what it is doing.

Although this might be a moot point if we go to EV's.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzmartinii View Post
I have seen this article pop up in several places, just doesn't seem right.

http://www.inquisitr.com/295943/fake...many-new-cars/
People need to stop these sorts of criticisms because they are ridiculous. Especially when it comes to BMW's.

The engine sound on the M5 is not in any way fake. It is the actual real sound of the actual real engine played through the speakers. Do you consider hearing someone's voice through a phone or a video fake? If it's the original person's undubbed real voice? Most reasonable people do not.

In fact the truth is that BMW's system to pump engine noise into the cabin is MORE REAL and more FAITHFUL than the system it replaces. The very nature of sound means that it undergoes changes when it passes through a tube, a wall or through glass, it changes the pitch frequency and tone when interacting with any surface or medium. The fact that BMW actually achieves a cleaner more faithful engine noise inside the cabin by using a digital intermediary from the engine to the occupant's ears instead of an analog set of tubes through the firewall actually is more real not less.

This sort of reaction is what you get from people who are afraid of technology and would rather use a string and a tin can for a phone instead of a high quality stennheiser microphone and speaker system with a digital link. The digital system is better in every measurable and conceivable way, both in phones and in the case of the M5, it's not evil just because it's digital.

By switching to pumping the actual engine noise into the cabin digitally instead of through analog methods, they can improve the quality of the car and make the engine noise less muffled and garbled.

If the digital system bothers you because you're backwards and delusional, then you're free to program the feature out and punch a hole in your firewall and get the exact same result that is inferior in every way.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER

Last edited by Legion5; 08-08-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
so how far are we when you can go to Dinan and pay them for a software upgrade that boosts the bass signal going to the speakers to make the engine sound better?
will upgrading my subs to 15" void my engine noise warranty?

is it ok if i pay them in $100 bills that are marked with $1000 on them?
it makes them look better than they really are no?
      08-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
People need to stop these sorts of criticisms because they are ridiculous. Especially when it comes to BMW's.

The engine sound on the M5 is not in any way fake. It is the actual real sound of the actual real engine played through the speakers. Do you consider hearing someone's voice through a phone or a video fake? If it's the original person's undubbed real voice? Most reasonable people do not.

In fact the truth is that BMW's system to pump engine noise into the cabin is MORE REAL and more FAITHFUL than the system it replaces. The very nature of sound means that it undergoes changes when it passes through a tube, a wall or through glass, it changes the pitch frequency and tone when interacting with any surface or medium. The fact that BMW actually achieves a cleaner more faithful engine noise inside the cabin by using a digital intermediary from the engine to the occupant's ears instead of an analog set of tubes through the firewall actually is more real not less.

This sort of reaction is what you get from people who are afraid of technology and would rather use a string and a tin can for a phone instead of a high quality stennheiser microphone and speaker system with a digital link. The digital system is better in every measurable and conceivable way, both in phones and in the case of the M5, it's not evil just because it's digital.

By switching to pumping the actual engine noise into the cabin digitally instead of through analog methods, they can improve the quality of the car and make the engine noise less muffled and garbled.

If the digital system bothers you because you're backwards and delusional, then you're free to program the feature out and punch a hole in your firewall and get the exact same result that is inferior in every way.
so why did they not do this prior to turbocharging (the Ms)?
i mean the technology behind this is not cutting edge
i believe Lotus was testing systems like this at least 15 years ago
(you could make a 4 cyl sound like a V8 or V12 or whatever you want)
      08-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
so why did they not do this prior to turbocharging (the Ms)?
i mean the technology behind this is not cutting edge
i believe Lotus was testing systems like this at least 15 years ago
(you could make a 4 cyl sound like a V8 or V12 or whatever you want)
I've done a lot of reading about BMW's system as I was very interested in how they did it and to what quality standard and it's actually extremely advanced. The dollar store systems that have been around for 15 years are ridiculously terrible hack jobs that just rev match the sound to the engine. The system in the M5 captures every nuance of the engine noise and reproduces it authentically, it's not just a rev match. The reason they did it now is because sound insulation technology has become so advanced that you can barely hear the engine any more, along with turbo engines being naturally quieter. Cars also now have enough processing power to make digital engine sound 100% transparent and identical the real thing flawlessly instead of just playing sound clips that are rev matched. The processing power is the real limiting factor to achieving a system that has a real sound.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Kmarei makes a good point though asking why they didnt do this before. Cars were quiet in the 90's and early 2000's but because they were. If the engine is so quiet now, so be it. Its just cheesy and thats what people are trying to say. It's the sound from an M5 but its still artificially produced. I just hope the new M3 wont get the same treatment. If you guys want to hear your engine, get an exhaust. Its game over for loud engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #22
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
so how far are we when you can go to Dinan and pay them for a software upgrade that boosts the bass signal going to the speakers to make the engine sound better?
will upgrading my subs to 15" void my engine noise warranty?

is it ok if i pay them in $100 bills that are marked with $1000 on them?
it makes them look better than they really are no?

I'm torn by this debate but I think I'm more on the no phony noise side. If it's quiet, then great. Wasn't that the point of all that sound proofing? Maybe they need more boost noises.

Maybe try this?

lmao
Appreciate 0