E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Why can't these guys be enthusiasts?

07-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
CarbonFoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

Why can't these guys be enthusiasts?

When I run into owners of high-end or exotic cars, I just naturally want to chat it up with them about their ride. Unfortunately, this is very difficult to do because they tend to be so unapproachable and arrogant that it takes the fun out any kind of car talk.

I hate to cast stereo types, but they do exist for a reason and in my experience, cases like this are more the norm rather than the exception. I'm just perplexed as to why there aren't more enthusiasts amongst the owners of cars like this. It makes me sad to see so many of these cars driven by people that have little knowledge or appreciation for them. Most have little interest in them beyond displaying their trophies and attracting gold diggers - both of which are understandable...but come on!!
Attached Images

Last edited by CarbonFoot; 07-26-2012 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: pic added
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I kinda get what you mean. It's only been a handful of times that I've ever had a thumbs up or anything reciprocated from someone in a supercar on the road, or that I've struck up a conversation longer than 3 lines with an owner.

Usually I just get kids in Subies and Evos chatting me up. I don't mind. Little kids (like.. children) love my car too because I've kind of made it... very overstated. I only have a 1 series, and I LOVE the car, and I love modding it. It's my hobby, and it makes me feel pretty good when a little kid or random guy says nice car because of all the money and work I put in to it. I guess the supercar owners already know/think they're hot shit and they don't care. Or it might just be older guys don't care, though I wouldn't normally think so. I love Mustangs and I usually see older guys driving them. I almost never get the thumbs up back from an older guy driving a nice Stang, and the supercar drivers tend to be older. I'm young if that matters.

I've tried to chat up M3 owners because that's one of my attainable dream cars (soon I hope!), but I usually get shrugged off. When I do talk to them, they're usually clueless. One guy didn't know how many cylinders his car had or the E90/92 etc chassis codes.

Given all that, I'll stick to chatting up people younger than me because they seem more interested. Also, I just noticed you're in CA. I'm in the NY/NJ area. Might just be the general snobbishness of people where we both live. Though I'd think the Bay area wouldn't be so bad with that.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
Yeah I ran into a guy with a McLaren MP4-12 and I wanted to take a picture of his car, so before I even took a picture I went and asked him for permission and he had a ugly smirk on his face and told me he doesn't want me near his car. Really makes me think bad about McLaren drivers.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Of course, can you imagine if you HAVE to have a conversation with random strangers asking the same questions over and over again at every stoplight, gas station convenience store, supermarket, going to the dentist, going to a doctor's appointment, going out to lunch, going out to dinner, going to the mechanics, driving down the street, pulling over to turn, getting a coffee, picking up your dry cleaning...........

How many times can a Ferrari or McLaren or Lambo owner say:

"yeah it's pretty fast"

"yeah it costs a lot to keep up"

"yeah it goes through gas pretty well"

"yeah its actually not a (insert car) but a Lambo/McLaren/Ferrari"

"yeah I can go faster than a Corvette"

"yeah I like your car too"

"no you can't sit in it/drive it/open the hood"

"yeah it's fun"

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Because rich guys are busy making money. Very few have the time and desire to learn about cars. For them the car is a status symbol and nothing else.

There's a reason they say money is wasted on the rich.
      07-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Of course, can you imagine if you HAVE to have a conversation with random strangers asking the same questions over and over again at every stoplight, gas station convenience store, supermarket, going to the dentist, going to a doctor's appointment, going out to lunch, going out to dinner, going to the mechanics, driving down the street, pulling over to turn, getting a coffee, picking up your dry cleaning...........

"yeah it's pretty fast"

"yeah it's fun"

I get your point about this. And, see, that I'd understand. But technical questions? I doubt 99% of the random people who come up to a guy like that would start asking technical questions. When random people ask me something, yeah I hear a lot of the same, stupid stuff a lot ("Is that a new M3?" lol). But I'd imagine/hope that someone that loves the expensive car they got and would know a lot about it technically would be interested in finally having a real discussion about the car. I think the point of OP's thoughts is that the people who own these cars aren't "car guys." I think a car guy would be happy to talk about the specifics and technical aspects of the car. Anyone would get tired of "omg it must have been so expensive!" And if the guy didn't buy it for loving the car... doesn't that mean he bought it for the attention?

And I'd think there are plenty of people who have money that don't spend ALL their time making it. Rich old white people have time for golf. Why not for learning about the car they dropped a sizeable fraction of a million on.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

I've never had this experience.

Virtually every exotic car owner that I've given the nod or thumbs up to has responded with a giant smile and/or a wave/thumbs up back.

Every one that I have spoken to has been remarkably humble considering that they own cars that are worth more than a lot of people's homes.

Maybe it comes down to approach?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

Virtually every exotic car owner that I've given the nod or thumbs up to has responded with a giant smile and/or a wave/thumbs up back.

Every one that I have spoken to has been remarkably humble considering that they own cars that are worth more than a lot of people's homes.

You live in Canada. I don't think it's possible for you to NOT be friendly.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Owning a Ferrari is an exclusive club. That's why they have regional Ferrari clubs.

The "average" person just doesn't understand no matter how many technical jargon they can talk about. YOU DON'T OWN A FERRARI SO YOU CAN'T TALK TO FERRARI OWNERS...PERIOD.

See, if you want to talk exotics to exotic OWNERS, you have to BE an owner yourself.

They probably ARE car guys, but you don't own a Ferrari/McLaren/Lambo so they won't talk to you.

Example: You could be a great football player, got a scholarship and played in some big games. You know more about football than 99.9% of the population. But that doesn't mean you can go up to Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Peyton Manning and start talking about the Super Bowl just because you know all about it.

Brady/Manning/Rodgers isn't going to be in a group of 100 people signing autographs to stop and listen to your theory on why the 85 Bears 4-3 was so much better than the Steeler's 3-4 of the 70's, or how statistically it's better for the team with the fewer wins to kick-off first given the choice if the Super Bowl is played in a dome.

Playing in the Super Bowl is an exclusive club, and no one will ever know what it's like unless they actually play in it, no matter how much they know about it.

Owning a $300,000 car is an exclusive club, and no one will ever know what it's like until they actually own one, no matter how many episodes of Top Gear you watched.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

It really depends on the person. Not many big wigs out here, but there are 3 GTRs that I've seen around here, and they wave/honk at me, sometimes even before I notice them.
Probably because I've been and then and then and then

and then theyre at first like

then

then

then after a few weeks of me saying hello to them every time I see them + a nice double honk, theyre like

and

and

And then I was on the highway here and the guy with the silver GTR (with about 800whp) catches up to me, he eggs me on, we go WOT, and then I'm like

So now I'm like each time I see him.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

^^^ lol.

I've been to a few car shows and met an owner of a Koeinigsegg CCX and he was real approachable and friendly, he opened the doors and engine compartment for myself and others to take some pictures.

Same car show there was an owner of a 1500+HP twin turbo ford gt he was really cool and would fire it up every time a new crowd came by and rev the shit out of it! Lol

There is a local audio shop with a Switzer 900 GT-R with a ridiculous Morel audio system! they took me for a ride in it and regularly give rides.

There are just as many cool car owners as there are deuschebags...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Owning a Ferrari is an exclusive club. That's why they have regional Ferrari clubs.

The "average" person just doesn't understand no matter how many technical jargon they can talk about. YOU DON'T OWN A FERRARI SO YOU CAN'T TALK TO FERRARI OWNERS...PERIOD.

See, if you want to talk exotics to exotic OWNERS, you have to BE an owner yourself.

They probably ARE car guys, but you don't own a Ferrari/McLaren/Lambo so they won't talk to you.

Example: You could be a great football player, got a scholarship and played in some big games. You know more about football than 99.9% of the population. But that doesn't mean you can go up to Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Peyton Manning and start talking about the Super Bowl just because you know all about it.

Brady/Manning/Rodgers isn't going to be in a group of 100 people signing autographs to stop and listen to your theory on why the 85 Bears 4-3 was so much better than the Steeler's 3-4 of the 70's, or how statistically it's better for the team with the fewer wins to kick-off first given the choice if the Super Bowl is played in a dome.

Playing in the Super Bowl is an exclusive club, and no one will ever know what it's like unless they actually play in it, no matter how much they know about it.

Owning a $300,000 car is an exclusive club, and no one will ever know what it's like until they actually own one, no matter how many episodes of Top Gear you watched.
This is sarcasm right?
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
This is sarcasm right?
Probably not. After I bought my BMW, I felt the sudden urge to stop talking to my wife, who drives a Ford Fusion.

Its sciences and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:

"yeah it's pretty fast"

"yeah it's fun"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
Because rich guys are busy making money. Very few have the time and desire to learn about cars. For them the car is a status symbol and nothing else.

There's a reason they say money is wasted on the rich.

Last edited by pixelblue; 07-28-2012 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

Quote:

"yeah it's pretty fast"

"yeah it's fun"

This. +1

Sure, you're cool. Sure, you like my car.
I'm an enthusiast. I am not enthused to talk about my cars 50 times a day, and most of the time to people who don't even know what I'm referring to or what it actually means in real world usage. (weight, hp, suspension, alcantara, carbon fiber, ETC!)

No, I don't want to give you a ride.
No, I don't want to stand there while you point and take pics and draw an even larger crowd.
No, I don't want to rev my engine.
No, I don't want to gun it at a redlight unless you have a car that would actually put up a realistic race with mine.
No, don't fucking touch my paint and put your greasy ass fingers on my doors/windows/panels.

AND PLEASE DON'T TOUCH MY CAR WHEN ITS PARKED SOME PLACE.
I don't like coming out to random bastard finger prints on my paint and windows.
I can't wipe the paint until my next scheduled car wash because I will scratch the clear coat. So keep your grubby hands OFF!
YES, I will be a TOTAL dick to you if I come out and you are touching/leaning on my car. Yes, I will even get in a fight with you over it!

Oh, and driving by in another lane and shouting out something loud, but still undecipherable (so god knows what you said) is...
#1. Not cool to me.
#2. Not cool to the girl(s) riding with me.
#3. Not cool to anyone riding with you.
#4. You look like a stupid fuck, no matter what it is you are actually saying (good/bad).

You want to look cool? Just give me a thumbs up. I will wave, throw a peace sign, or thumbs you back.

Last edited by Fantasm; 07-28-2012 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #16
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

I think it highly differs from area to area. Here in LA, most people with nice cars have it as a status symbol and rarely do get to drive their cars to anywhere near their potential. You can easily find a handful of friendly owners though if you attend something like cars or coffee or supercar sunday. Usually they like to share this passion with others. I think its even awesome once people like those do actually enjoy this hobby. I have a close relative who probably has the most impressive collection i've ever seen and yet, he is extremely knowledgeable and still likes to talk on and on about cars to others, regardless of who they are. I agree with you though, it's only a fraction of people though who still care to involve themselves.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:28 AM   #17
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

"AND PLEASE DON'T TOUCH MY CAR WHEN ITS PARKED SOME PLACE."

I do not drive a super car but i think some people should learn this rule. Some people think that because your car looks nice and its parked in a public place, it gives them the right to lean against your car like a cheap hoe and fuck up the paint job. When i goto functions at hotel's and theres somebody doing that, i usually tell the valet to tell them to get off. I think its just blatant disregard for somebody else's property. I'm pretty sure they would yell at me if i thought their car was a nice cup holder for my beer....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
This. +1
I can't wipe the paint until my next scheduled car wash because I will scratch the clear coat.
Wait, I'm actually going to ask this, but are you being serious about the Ferrari scheduled car wash or joking?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

What could have been wrong with the op's approach?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Exotic or not they are a lot of idiots out there,remember the kid that got punched in the face for complimenting some guy's friend's wheels.
In my experience Mustang GT500/Corvette Z06 ownets tend to be the nicest,down to earth people.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

Quote:
Wait, I'm actually going to ask this, but are you being serious about the Ferrari scheduled car wash or joking?
nope, serious, i have detailers come to me and wash all my cars every week
      07-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
AZ135
REALTOR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jag XF Supercharged

Ahh... good ole Danville if I'm not mistaken.

As people stated above, they are probably gawked at everywhere they go and get tired of replying to the same questions over and over.

At the Scottsdale Cars and Coffee (or any other car meet like this), where everyone is there specifically to talk about their exotic cars, 99% of the people are approachable, knowledgable, and enthusiastic because it's during a time that they've set aside just for that.
Appreciate 0