E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Audi AG acquires Ducati

04-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
1BMW335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Audi AG acquires Ducati

What do you guys think about Audi's acquisition of Ducati motorcycles?

Quote:
Apr 18, 2012 , INGOLSTADT, Germany
AUDI AG acquires sports motorcycle manufacturer Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A.
- Chairman Rupert Stadler: “As a sporty, global premium brand, Ducati is an excellent fit for Audi.”
- Third pillar for AUDI AG in Italy
- Ducati a leading player in engine technology and lightweight construction
AUDI AG is acquiring from Investindustrial Group the tradition-steeped Italian sports motorcycle manufacturer Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A., which has its registered office in Bologna. The transaction will be completed as quickly as possible once authorized by the competition authorities. The Supervisory Boards of AUDI AG and Volkswagen AG approved the acquisition today in Hamburg. Ducati is known worldwide as a leading brand in motorcycle manufacture, with outstanding expertise in engine development and lightweight construction.

Alongside the traditional Italian brands Lamborghini and Italdesign, Ducati is now a third pillar for AUDI AG in Northern Italy. Another building block in the Company’s growth strategy thus falls into place. Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG, declared: “Ducati is known worldwide as a premium brand among motorcycle manufacturers and has a long tradition of building sporty motorcycles. It has great expertise in high-performance engines and lightweight construction, and is one of the world’s most profitable motorcycle manufacturers. That makes Ducati an excellent fit for Audi.” The progressive control systems and special combustion chamber process of Ducati engines, their resulting sporty character, and Ducati’s extensive know-how in lightweight construction thus offer great potential for AUDI AG and the Volkswagen Group.

Peter Mosch, Chairman of the General Works Council of AUDI AG, explains that the employee representatives of AUDI AG support the Company’s sustainable, co-determined growth strategy. “We must use the opportunities offered by globalization for Audi – and that’s exactly what we’re doing. Everyone at Audi is looking forward to working with our new colleagues from Ducati,” commented Mosch.

Ducati is a globally active company and has manufacturing operations at its headquarters in Bologna and at its own factory in Thailand. It maintains a series of importer companies in strategic markets. Experts predict that the motorcycle market will enjoy strong growth over the next few years, especially in Asia. In 2011, Ducati sold around 42,000 motorcycles and generated revenue of some €480 million, employing around 1,100 people.

The company was founded by Adriano and Marcello Ducati in Bologna in 1926. Known originally as Società Scientifica Radiobrevetti Ducati, it initially built parts for radios. It ventured into the manufacture of motorcycles in 1949.

Ducati has been actively involved in motorcycle racing for many decades through its racing division Ducati Corse. Its racing activities are currently focused on the Ducati official factory team in the MotoGP class of the Motorcycle World Championship and in the Superbike World Championship, supporting competitive private teams. Ducati won the manufacturers’ championship in this latter class 17 times in 21 championships and the pilots’ 14 times.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Whats not to like? Ducati will have almost unlimited funds now to develop products. As long as the brand doesn't get watered down, I don't see a problem.

The Audi Motorsport division's experience and winning ways will definitely bleed over into the Ducati racing programs. And only advance Ducati's successful legacy in motorcycle racing.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
1BMW335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Whats not to like? Ducati will have almost unlimited funds now to develop products. As long as the brand doesn't get watered down, I don't see a problem.

The Audi Motorsport division's experience and winning ways will definitely bleed over into the Ducati racing programs. And only advance Ducati's successful legacy in motorcycle racing.
I agree. It also allows them to compete in the space amongst BMW motorcycles and other manufacturers with an established high-end brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Personally not a fan of this. Would much prefer if the current/now previous italian investment firm held on to it.

VW/Audi owns enough companies/subsidiaries and this is just a trophy buy. What will VAG purchase next? Close to monopolizing this shit.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Zhiupei
Rep
Drives: 2JZ, 1UZ, 2UZ

Word.. Ducati should have tried harder to stay uniquee
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Next, VAG to buy Ferrari? Won't do any better, as even Lamborghini catch fire.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
F1Senna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Sedan

Jesus, dont they own enough already?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

In the near future, r we going to see a AWD Ducati?

Anyway,I love Ducati and I bet they need cash injection to stay in business.
      04-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I was at the factory a few weeks ago and even the workers at the factory were in favor of the acquisition as it really solidifies a future for the brand. You'll never see as many Ducatis as you do in Bologna. They're everywhere!

I was also at Lamborghini who is quite frank about the effect that the VW/Audi ownership has had on them. They went from 300 employees in an outdated factory in 1999 to a company of 1,000 people with state of the art facilities and a beautiful museum as a secondary source of revenue. The factory tour is an absolute must for anyone visiting northern Italy. I have a renewed respect and lust for those cars.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Terraforce1
If you ain't first, you're last!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: '14 Boxster GTS + 14' 1199 S

I love the fact Ducati was a proud Italian brand. A friend of mine owns a Ducati store, and he says a lot of the bikes have a few problems. So perhaps Audi acquiring Ducati is not such a bad thing, but as someone mentioned above, Lambo's still catch alight. So I'm on the fence with this one. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
If the treat Ducati the same way the did Lambo it will be a very good thing. My fear is that VAG also owns more than 20% of Suzuki. I sure hope they do not cross breed the two. Ducati is a world wide iconic brand. They would be foolish to dilute that.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
If the treat Ducati the same way the did Lambo it will be a very good thing. My fear is that VAG also owns more than 20% of Suzuki. I sure hope they do not cross breed the two. Ducati is a world wide iconic brand. They would be foolish to dilute that.
The relationship between Suzuki and VW didn't work out, it's pretty much gone down the crapper, Suzuki are looking to terminate it.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/www.autocar...llCars/259114/
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
The Germans know what they're doing. They usually take the best attributes of each brand. I wouldn't mind a more reliable Ducati.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Audi & Ducati
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

As an ex-Ducati owner, IMHO, it will ruin Ducati as we know it, just as Audi has ruined Lamborghini by removing that very Italian-ness that makes them 'special'.

Sure, they will be better built, but ultimately become sterile and just a bit souless, just as Lambo have become under their Audi teutonic masters.

You didn't buy a Lambo, Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa, Ducati, MV etc for the build quality, you bought it for the soul and passion.

Sad day for me.