E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Read this article on BMW

05-30-2006, 02:45 PM   #23
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
I don't find comparison of a Tribeca to a "flying vagina" offensive except that it probably doesn't move fast enought to fly. More like a trolling vagina (ewww).
Perhaps TTAC (The truth about cars) should be called DORC
(Derogatory opinions regarding cars).

LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #24
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
I might agree with you that some of the posts and threads on this site are biased and fanboy-ish toward BMW. But hey, this a site for people who are interested mainly in the E90 variants as well as other BMWs. Most of the people who post here are BMW owners and many of them are repeat BMW owners. We like our BMWs. Hell I LOVE mine. So what's wrong if the people who post here want to feel good about their cars???? I don't see a problem.

What's important about this site is that it's not JUST a E90 / BMW feel good
forum. There's a lot of good, factual INFORMATION that is shared here for anyone who's interested. I'm very thankful for this forum, it's helped me a great deal with my purchase choice and continues to be a valuable resource.

I disagree that anyone who questions anything about BMW on here is not welcomed. There's a lot of questioning going on here. It's one of the things I've come to appreciate about the forum.

To me TTAC is acting like a spoiled kid who's mad cause BMW won't play their game ... so they're throwing a tantrum. This is hardly the PR disaster TTAC is trying to make it out to be.

The real arrogance is for TTAC to think their opinions and their readership is so consequential they can do serious damage to a company like BMW.

I agree with you, I love my E90. I still think that the exterior styling of the E90 is best looking of all the cars on the roads today. And it drives amazing, no other car comes close to it. But there are certain elements of the car that are not perfect, and one of them is that BMW is very arrogant. Maybe they have a right to be arrogant since they are the number one selling luxury brand in the world. I believe that the article by TTAC illustrates this point very well.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #25
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom
Yup, another "journalist" trying to stand out from the crowd by bring controversial
Nothing wrong with being controversial.

Otherwise today we'd still believe Earth is flat and is the center of the universe. Also, Rosa Parks wouldn't have given up her bus seat to a white man. Einstein would have kept quiet about his outlandish theory of relativity (his paper on relativity had zero references). Mendel would have kept quiet about Mendelian genetics.

If nobody wants to stand out from the crowd we'd still be driving Ford Model T's.
      05-31-2006, 07:04 AM   #26
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I don't mind the word vagina. Some of my best friends have them. But I don't get the comparison. If this guy thinks the Tribeca grill looks like a vagina, I'm glad I don't know the same girls he knows.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 09:35 AM   #27
Nazgûl
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I don't mind the word vagina. Some of my best friends have them.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 10:27 AM   #28
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Most of you probably know the extremely tight leash BMW keeps on its brand and image. Face it, it is one of the best known brands worldwide, and has tremendous currency.

BMW has many thousands of editors who want to be part of the press fleet and drive their 3s, Zs, Xs, Ms, 5s, 6s, 7s.....why should they tolerate some foul-mouthed, off the handle ravings of some editors who say outlandish things? They don't need TTAC to sell cars, either in the USA or anywhere else.

When one our members here posted two videos of his drive in the 330xi in the xDrive experience we participated in last weekend, he entitled it "xDrive experience". A day later there was a little "R" in a cirlce next to xDrive. BMW is combing the net looking for trademark and other types of brand uses or misuses to keep the brand professional and correct.

You may think this is being tightassed, but believe it or not, this is protecting the resale value of your car.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 11:32 AM   #29
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

BTW, for all of you who never read the article(s) impugned by BMW, TTAC was very favorable in tis reviews of BMWs, they love them, the comments were made about a Subie and a Lexus.

The only critique of the BMW was that the writer did not like the smg7 on the M5.

So I don't follow the "damaging the brand" line of thought in this thread.

BMW cut off TTAC because they did not like (it would seem), whos their competitors were treated. Tsk, tsk, WTF ?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 12:06 PM   #30
Squawks
United_States
Rep

TTAC simply isn't professional. It's like reading a drunk undergraduate's review on something - they're nothing like being on the lines of eloquence as you can easily tell from reading articles from more prestigious works such as The Wallstreet Journal. TTAC's language is too crude and in many ways lacks decorum especially when they mentioned 'vagina' in the looks of a car. Nothing wrong with saying vagina - it's just that had they used their brains above the 6th grade level, they could have put disapprobation of the Subaru's aesthetics in a more professional way.

BMW doesn't want to deal with non-professionals.
      05-31-2006, 12:18 PM   #31
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I don't see how by BMW pulling their press car to this particular site makes them arrogant. Every company does the same to keep an eye out for what their image is tied to. Just as Nike would pull their sponsorship on Steve Nash if he ever uses the N-word as an insult. This wouldn't make Nike arrogant just as BMW pulling their press car to someone that uses terms that might offend some people. They are simply weighing out the pros and cons of continuing sending their press cars to this particular online magazine, and they've decided the negatives out weighs the benefits. This is just smart business, that's all. It has nothing to do with arrogance.
      05-31-2006, 12:31 PM   #32
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Exactly - why would BMW want the opinions/critque of a group of clowns?

Hahah, I'd be damned if he used the "N-word" in the field of basketball...
      05-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #33
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I couldn't have said it better.....that's why you guys had to complete my train of thought!!

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 01:14 PM   #34
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

So I guess I'm right BMW are Arrogant. They don't accept other peoples opinions.

Arrogance can be defined in so many ways.

They are selling a lot of cars so I guess they have a right to be arrogant.
I'd like to see how arrogant they are going to be once they start losing market shares.

No the front end of Tribeca does not look like a Vagina.
The Tribeca is just ugly.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #35
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve29
So I guess I'm right BMW are Arrogant. They don't accept other peoples opinions.

Arrogance can be defined in so many ways.

They are selling a lot of cars so I guess they have a right to be arrogant.
I'd like to see how arrogant they are going to be once they start losing market shares.

No the front end of Tribeca does not look like a Vagina.
The Tribeca is just ugly.
This really has nothing to do with BMW accepting other people's opinion. It's a very simple concept... BMW is "sponsoring" the author of an article that expresses "extreme" opinions that might offend a large group of people. Therefore, BMW feels it will also negatively effect BMW's image, and thus they decide to pull ties with this website in order to not lose the potential customers who might get offended by this article, and negatively associate BMW with it. In this case, it is more so that they're trying to please their target audience and increase market shares, instead of the being arrogant despite possibly losing market share. So please explain their arrogance in this instance.

The thing is this particular "reviewer" claims BMW is arrogant because he feels "snubbed". He feels that BMW doesn't feel like his website can generate sufficient positives to compensate for the negatives that his comments might produce. Obviously if it was a magazine such as Car&Drive who made similar comments, BMW would probably not pull their press cars to C&D. But of course, a magazine as big as C&D and with such a large influence would probably not make such a comment. They, instead, would probably make a similar comment but in a more eloquent way, as to not to offend too many people.

I'm not claiming BMW is not an arrogant company, they just might be, with very good reasons, but this incident does not at all shows that BMW is arrogant.
      05-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #36
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve29
They're not arrogant.

Would I be arrogant if I refused to lend my press-release model running shoe to a high-school dropout hippie for his/her review on my product?

Would I be arrogant if I refused to lend my keys to a valet who acts like a 7 year old?

Would Einstein be arrogant if he refused to give his paper on relativity to be published in The National Enquirer?