E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Why can't these guys be enthusiasts?

07-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Owning a Ferrari is an exclusive club. That's why they have regional Ferrari clubs.

The "average" person just doesn't understand no matter how many technical jargon they can talk about. YOU DON'T OWN A FERRARI SO YOU CAN'T TALK TO FERRARI OWNERS...PERIOD.

See, if you want to talk exotics to exotic OWNERS, you have to BE an owner yourself.

They probably ARE car guys, but you don't own a Ferrari/McLaren/Lambo so they won't talk to you.

Example: You could be a great football player, got a scholarship and played in some big games. You know more about football than 99.9% of the population. But that doesn't mean you can go up to Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Peyton Manning and start talking about the Super Bowl just because you know all about it.

Brady/Manning/Rodgers isn't going to be in a group of 100 people signing autographs to stop and listen to your theory on why the 85 Bears 4-3 was so much better than the Steeler's 3-4 of the 70's, or how statistically it's better for the team with the fewer wins to kick-off first given the choice if the Super Bowl is played in a dome.

Playing in the Super Bowl is an exclusive club, and no one will ever know what it's like unless they actually play in it, no matter how much they know about it.

Owning a $300,000 car is an exclusive club, and no one will ever know what it's like until they actually own one, no matter how many episodes of Top Gear you watched.
That is the most douchey explanation i have ever heard
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
MrClean335i
FBO+Methanol Injection
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Quote:
Owning a Ferrari is an exclusive club. That's why they have regional Ferrari clubs.

The "average" person just doesn't understand no matter how many technical jargon they can talk about. YOU DON'T OWN A FERRARI SO YOU CAN'T TALK TO FERRARI OWNERS...PERIOD.

See, if you want to talk exotics to exotic OWNERS, you have to BE an owner yourself.

They probably ARE car guys, but you don't own a Ferrari/McLaren/Lambo so they won't talk to you.

Example: You could be a great football player, got a scholarship and played in some big games. You know more about football than 99.9% of the population. But that doesn't mean you can go up to Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Peyton Manning and start talking about the Super Bowl just because you know all about it.

Brady/Manning/Rodgers isn't going to be in a group of 100 people signing autographs to stop and listen to your theory on why the 85 Bears 4-3 was so much better than the Steeler's 3-4 of the 70's, or how statistically it's better for the team with the fewer wins to kick-off first given the choice if the Super Bowl is played in a dome.

Playing in the Super Bowl is an exclusive club, and no one will ever know what it's like unless they actually play in it, no matter how much they know about it.

Owning a $300,000 car is an exclusive club, and no one will ever know what it's like until they actually own one, no matter how many episodes of Top Gear you watched.
This is fucking stupid. My dad owns a couple of +200k cars and I can assure you he doesn't think like that or any of his colleagues. A car enthusiast is a car enthusiast no matter what he drives. It doesn't matter if he drives a GTI or a Zonda
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #25
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean335i View Post
This is fucking stupid. My dad owns a couple of +200k cars and I can assure you he doesn't think like that or any of his colleagues. A car enthusiast is a car enthusiast no matter what he drives. It doesn't matter if he drives a GTI or a Zonda
+1, I agree, an enthusiast is an enthusiast. Not all are snobs, especially the enthusiasts. My cousin is a total car nut, and has as an amazing collection including a silver Enzo, an alfa romeo 8c, 300SL roadster, and a Ferrari 599XX EVO as his track car; and yes, he tracks the crap out of the Enzo and 599XX. It honestly differs from person to person.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #26
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
This is sarcasm right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia
Probably not. After I bought my BMW, I felt the sudden urge to stop talking to my wife, who drives a Ford Fusion.

Its sciences and stuff.

But I understand a lot of owners reluctance to talk to people. Because if you think about it they can't go anywhere without being bugged by people.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:

Wow, just wow. Then again you're a frat boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
This. +1

Sure, you're cool. Sure, you like my car.
I'm an enthusiast. I am not enthused to talk about my cars 50 times a day, and most of the time to people who don't even know what I'm referring to or what it actually means in real world usage. (weight, hp, suspension, alcantara, carbon fiber, ETC!)

No, I don't want to give you a ride.
No, I don't want to stand there while you point and take pics and draw an even larger crowd.
No, I don't want to rev my engine.
No, I don't want to gun it at a redlight unless you have a car that would actually put up a realistic race with mine.
No, don't fucking touch my paint and put your greasy ass fingers on my doors/windows/panels.

AND PLEASE DON'T TOUCH MY CAR WHEN ITS PARKED SOME PLACE.
I don't like coming out to random bastard finger prints on my paint and windows.
I can't wipe the paint until my next scheduled car wash because I will scratch the clear coat. So keep your grubby hands OFF!
YES, I will be a TOTAL dick to you if I come out and you are touching/leaning on my car. Yes, I will even get in a fight with you over it!

Oh, and driving by in another lane and shouting out something loud, but still undecipherable (so god knows what you said) is...
#1. Not cool to me.
#2. Not cool to the girl(s) riding with me.
#3. Not cool to anyone riding with you.
#4. You look like a stupid fuck, no matter what it is you are actually saying (good/bad).

You want to look cool? Just give me a thumbs up. I will wave, throw a peace sign, or thumbs you back.
A true Ferrari owner. Right when the 458 came out I spoke to a new owner. All he did was tell me how much each option cost him. Plus we all know Ferraris are to look at -> Porsches are to drive.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #28
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean335i View Post
Well good for your dad.

But guess what, as the OP stated in his first post, most people aren't like your dad.

Kim Kardashian drives a white Ferrari 458. You think she is a car enthusiast?

Paris Hilton drives a pink Lambo. You think she is a car enthusiast?

Justin Beiber drives a boat load of exotic cars. You think he is a car enthusiast?

The majority of 200k+ car owners aren't enthusiasts. They use them as status symbols.

Just like when they buy a $2,000 shirt or a $9,000 suit. Do you really think they appreciated the finer details of the fashion designer and appreciate the intricate stitching and subtle use of color? Do you think they're a fashion enthusiast?

Or do you think they just want to buy a $2,000 shirt because it's $2,000 and want to be seen in it?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I am not very sure the exotic/supercar owners are responsible to entertain people they meet randomly on streets. I wouldn't want to talk to a bunch of guys that I don't know daily. If you want to meet real enthusiasts, why not attend car meets? I am sure people show up there will be much more approachable.
      07-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
I am not very sure the exotic/supercar owners are responsible to entertain people they meet randomly on streets. I wouldn't want to talk to a bunch of guys that I don't know daily. If you want to meet real enthusiasts, why not attend car meets? I am sure people show up there will be much more approachable.
I've entertained my fair share of young E30,E36,E46 drivers, it's actually a lot of fun for a gearhead to talk about cars. It's like getting compliments,it never gets old.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #31
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
I've entertained my fair share of young E30,E36,E46 drivers, it's actually a lot of fun for a gearhead to talk about cars. It's like getting compliments,it never gets old.
totally agree, hell I got a thumbs up from a 458 driver in my M3 this past weekend, made my day. an enthusiast for sure to give my lowly car the time if day.

or maybe it was my girlfriend in the front seat lol
      08-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #32
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I've only talked to one super-rich "car enthusiast," my friend's neighbor. My friend kept telling me how he had a new supercar every other month and how he got a ride in some of them. When I finally got to meet him, I saw he had a Carrera GT (back in the days when it was new) and he asked me if I wanted to see it and take pics. So he drove it out of his garage. He was wrong about how much downforce it made but he invited us to go to Cars and Coffee.

I just think like a lot of people, no matter what they drive, they just don't want to be bothered. A car meet is a lot better to talk about cars than with some random dude on the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #33
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
Probably not. After I bought my BMW, I felt the sudden urge to stop talking to my wife, who drives a Ford Fusion.

Its sciences and stuff.
Hahaha!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #34
CarbonFoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ135 View Post
Ahh... good ole Danville if I'm not mistaken.
Correct you are!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
CarbonFoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

I understand the comments about not wanting to be asked the same questions all the time. It might become annoying at some point, but there's a way you can deal with it without being all the A-hole you can be. If you drive around in something exotic, you have to expect some attention. This is especially true when you drive it around town like it's your grocery getter, which is surely not the kind of place you can enjoy the car for what it's built for. So be honest, you drive it around town for the exposure.

This is all very similar to the hot chick that dresses in a micro skirt with 5" stilettos with her boobs hanging out and act shocked and angry when guys oogle or hit on them.
Appreciate 0