E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Nikon D40x vs. Canon Rebel Xti

11-16-2007, 12:03 AM   #67
Etnies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Nice to see this thread get back on track. Looking forward to seeing some pics joon.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #68
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
.... I'm ashamed to say as you made so many good points about the nikon.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
.....who cares that you didn't get a nikon like turbo wanted you to, stick it to him!!! CANON FTW!!! all jokes turbo
I tried to hide my brand as best as possible. What did I say to promote Nikon? The comment about lens compatability?

I really try to keep my personal preference out of these replies - what matters most when deciding between Canon or Nikon is what fits best in your hand, and for which on you prefer the operation.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 10:18 AM   #69
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: aw 330i

Quote:
What did I say to promote Nikon? The comment about lens compatability?
well...for one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I've sold used Nikon (Nikkor) lenses for 95% of what I've paid. oops, now you know.. I'm a Nikon guy.
and secondly...
Quote:
A quick compare on the D40x shows B&H photo had better prices. www.bhphotovideo.com B&H is very reputable.
that second one was sneaky...almost like a subliminal message..even tho i specified that i was interested in getting the rebel and NOT the nikon
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #70
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
haha knight caught you! j/k. So my tracking info says it's schedule to arrive today! I'm pretty excited. However with all the indecisiveness (is that a word?) with picking which one to buy I forgot to get a flash card. So my friend ordered me a 2 gig sandisk one through his work account so I get a free card. yes!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #71
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
I went to a meet last night for the first time and a photography came out to take pics of the cars and i found out he was using a D40 with a wide angle lense or something. I'm guessing that costs a good amount of money huh
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #72
Etnies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Stick with SanDisk for CF cards.
A good wide angle is pretty expensive. I'm gonna get the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L for X-mas.
But the EF-S 10-22 is pretty good from what I hear. Or you can look at the Sigma 10-20.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #73
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
I went to a meet last night for the first time and a photography came out to take pics of the cars and i found out he was using a D40 with a wide angle lense or something. I'm guessing that costs a good amount of money huh
The 12-24mm f/4 nikkor runs about $950. This is the top of the digital DX lenses, and the widest non-fisheye they make. The 17-35mm f/2.8 is about $1450. Yeah, not cheap. There is an 18-70mm nikkor that is pretty good, runs about $300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnies View Post
Stick with SanDisk for CF cards.
SanDisk are excellent, as are Lexar. Kingston isn't bad, and I can't speak for the rest. I look for the Ultra III or Ultra IV. Watch out for the cheap cards, they're slow.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #74
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
stupid UPS man came late on friday and I couldnt wait any longer. They usually come around 6pm to my neighborhood but it's a new driver and he came at 7:30. Couldnt leave package since it needs signature. I have to wait till monday now. I guess it's ok since I don't have a CF card yet. That's coming on Monday as well. good thing I got a SanDisk. I was going to get another brand Aptiva or something but I think that's the office depot brand.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #75
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: aw 330i

eh, i wouldn't cheap out on memory cards...might end up corrupting your files unexpectedly, especially before you upload them...now that would suck.

but if you're ever in the market to buy electronics, i usually use http://www.pricegrabber.com

basically another search engine, but a trusted site...ordered from the vendors on there several times..heck, just ordered me 2 microSD cards for only 22 bucks each.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #76
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
eh, i wouldn't cheap out on memory cards...might end up corrupting your files unexpectedly, especially before you upload them...now that would suck.

but if you're ever in the market to buy electronics, i usually use http://www.pricegrabber.com

basically another search engine, but a trusted site...ordered from the vendors on there several times..heck, just ordered me 2 microSD cards for only 22 bucks each.
thanks for the info knight. i'll bookmark the site.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #77
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

stay away from eBay for CF cards. I've gotten a couple counterfiet cards, corrupted my photos. Pissed me off.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #78
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
This article has some points on why the writer chose Canon over Nikon. Take it with a grain of salt, but he does bring up some interesting points. Both are great cameras. One reason why I bought my Canon is because most everyone I know has one, which means I can borrow lenses or ask for advice from fellow Canon users.

http://photonotes.org/articles/why-canon/

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #79
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
This article has some points on why the writer chose Canon over Nikon. Take it with a grain of salt, but he does bring up some interesting points. Both are great cameras. One reason why I bought my Canon is because most everyone I know has one, which means I can borrow lenses or ask for advice from fellow Canon users.

that's a very good reason. i am still trying to figure out how to use this damn camera. only time i've been able to take pictures is at night. Hopefully I'll get some pics taken this xmas weekend and try to get a feel for the difference between the different modes.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #80
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:

An interesting read. He/she makes a few factual errors, and the article is highly inclusive of personal prejudice and interpretation. All in all it seems that someone was trying to juistify their purchase to someone else.

My take is simple - Canon or Nikon, both outstading platforms. There are things I like better about both. To me, the most important item of all is how does the camera feel in your hand. It's not about features, bells and whistles, etc. It's about feel.

Having friends that will loan you lenses is a powerful reason too!!

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #81
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
An interesting read. He/she makes a few factual errors, and the article is highly inclusive of personal prejudice and interpretation. All in all it seems that someone was trying to juistify their purchase to someone else.

My take is simple - Canon or Nikon, both outstading platforms. There are things I like better about both. To me, the most important item of all is how does the camera feel in your hand. It's not about features, bells and whistles, etc. It's about feel.

Having friends that will loan you lenses is a powerful reason too!!
Hey Turbo, can you recommend a lense for me for the future? Obviously what first triggered me in wanting to buy a camera was looking at all the great photos people posted of their cars and the editing, etc.. on this site. I know that from what you said and many others, the standard lense on the rebel xti is pretty weak.

I'm interested in an overall multipurpose lense and not sure if there's such a thing. I'll want to take shots of family/friends, scenery, cars (standstill and rolling shots). I've read people recommending an upgrade from the standard kit lense to the EF-S 17-55 IS or EF-S 17-85 IS. Any suggestions? Price range is probably about $500. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #82
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
You won't find the 17-55 IS for $500, even used.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #83
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Hey Turbo, can you recommend a lense for me for the future? Obviously what first triggered me in wanting to buy a camera was looking at all the great photos people posted of their cars and the editing, etc.. on this site. I know that from what you said and many others, the standard lense on the rebel xti is pretty weak.

I'm interested in an overall multipurpose lense and not sure if there's such a thing. I'll want to take shots of family/friends, scenery, cars (standstill and rolling shots). I've read people recommending an upgrade from the standard kit lense to the EF-S 17-55 IS or EF-S 17-85 IS. Any suggestions? Price range is probably about $500. Thanks
How about that for a loaded quetion!

I have to preface all of this with "I don't know crap about Canon". I don't know their product line well at all, and I really don't know crap about the different lenses.

I can share my preferences with you in terms of what focal lengths I have fun with, what aperatures, etc. I'll also try and scan a few posts and see if I see anything.

I carry a wide variety of stuff in my camera bag. I have a 10.5mm fisheye, a 12-24 f/4, a 18-70 variable ap. kit lens, an 80-200 f/2.8, and an 80-400 f/? VR. All Nikon. I never carry the 80-200 and the 80-400 at the same time. 200 for indoors, 400 for outdoors.

I like using the fisheye to get "in your face". It skewes your composition big time, and there are never any straight lines, but it's really fun for shooting the interiors of cars, or getting right up (inches) from someones face at a costume party. The 180 degree field of view in a fisheye is wicked cool, but unforgiving too. Any subject more than a few feet away usually becomes lost in the clutter. This to me is a fun lens. There are more than a few pics around this post taken with my fisheye.

I like my ultra ultra wide for shooting landscapes with something interesting in the middle. 12mm is damn wide, so if you don't have a foreground subject, it's a very boring photo. 24mm is still wide, but can bring the background closer into perspective if you're lacking a foreground subject. I used this to shoot a cover photo for a magazine recently (featuring a house I had built), and I was able to get the whole house and a good bit of sky in the photo only standing 20-30 feet away.

The 18-70 is a hoss. It's small, but you can do almost anything with it. It's the ugly duckling of many people's bag because it's small and a kit lens. But, it has the ultrasonics for quick focusing, and it's sharp. I shot Christmas cards for my friends with it, it worked out great!

My creative lens for a long time was my 80-200 f/2.8, and it still remains a solid favorite. It's kinda huge, but that's due to the fixed aperature over the zoom range. That fixed aperature is important to me, esp. in tele and supre tele, as it allows a shallow depth of field. I can stand back 20 feet and take a picture of a beautiful woman, and everyone more than 2 feet behind her will be irrecognizably blurred. More than 10 feet, and they look like an impressionist water-color. I love the control of the fixed aperature, but they are expensive. My lens retails for about $1400 new, where a variable aperature would be closer to $300. It's also a good car lens, as I can get in tight for a super crisp shot, but I still have enough range to zoom out and get the whole thing as it drives by. The large aperature (small f/ number) means a whole lot of light is coming in, and I can shoot at high shutter speeds if needed to stop action (1/8000th - stopped a hummingbirds wings). It's also a good lens for shooting action thats not too far away. I ski/snowboard, and it's a great lens for shooting that action.

The 80-400 was purchased for all the time I've been spending in Africa. I carry my own gear, so anything larger is just tooooooo big. The VR is nice becuase I don't always have a tripod or monopod, but it is slow to focus. It's not a lens I'd recommend to most people just getting started.

So, that's what I like for different kinds of shooting I do. What kind of shooting do you like?

Some other things to consider:

When you really start to master photography, you'll have a strong appreciation for the power of controlling depth of field (DOF). Some people want everything in foucs, some people (like me) like to restrict what the viewer can see, blurring out the background/ foregrounds that aren't part of my compostion, turning them into colorful / interetsting blurrs. You use aperature to control DOF, and wide aperature lenses are expensive (f/2.8 is my preference, anything more than f/4 as a minimum aperature and you don't have much DOF control in my book) from any maker. They are harder to make, they're bigger, heavier, and therefore not many are sold, so the cost of development is spread over fewer units. This all works to drive up price. Most snap shooters (even with nice DSLR's) only look at focal length. They're missing what is, in my mind, the best and most creative part of photography, after composition of course.

When you spend the dough on a good wide aperature lens, you're usually going to get a lens with ultrasonic motors for faster AF performance. That's nice too, but unless you are shooting sports, it's usualy not necessary. Nikon has offered numerous options over the years for high quality lenses w/o the ultrasonic motors (AF-S in nikon speak), so I'm sure Canon does to.

Just looking at Canon's lineup, and I have no idea how these perform or what they cost, the 24-105 f/4L looks like a fun lens, as does the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8. If you don't have a longer focal length, consider any of the 70-200 f/2.8 options as well.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't get hung up on specs, tech reviews, critical reviews, etc. Borrow a lens and go shoot with it. Look at your photos. Did you shoot anything good, or at least better than you expected? That's what matters. I shoot for me, and only me. If someone else like what I shoot, cool! If not, cool! I wasn't trying to impress them in the first place. I've sold thousands of dollars of pics, and I've shot stuff that's not fit to print on toilet paper. I've never allowed anything I don't like to be sold.

I see so many people hung up on gear, and they miss the real fun in shooting. I've been that guy, and while I learned a lot about my equipment, I've learned that I can take a good photo with almost any camera and lens. It's more about the thought I put into the shot, not the gear I use to capture the light. Yes, good glass helps, and a good body does too, but I've gotten great pics out of my $5000+ setup just the same as I have taken a great pic for someone on their $500 setup.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #84
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
My 12-24mm is about $1000. The D40x is about half of that. A lot of photographers are taking to the D40x. With my big meat hooks, I don't like the ergos, but it is a great camera.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #85
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
that's a very good reason. i am still trying to figure out how to use this damn camera. only time i've been able to take pictures is at night. Hopefully I'll get some pics taken this xmas weekend and try to get a feel for the difference between the different modes.
There's only one mode you need - full manual! experiment, experiment, experiment. Pic a tree, bush, chair, shit - shoot a rock, but fix the shutter speed and then move through the aperature range. Then move the shutter and do it again. Then go look at all the pics, and see how the different settings affect the picture.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you just shoot in different program modes, just get a good point and shoot. The A570 is good.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #86
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
You won't find the 17-55 IS for $500, even used.
thanks oc.... for nothing! lol j/k man. Yeah i looked up prices and it's so damn expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #87
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
There's only one mode you need - full manual! experiment, experiment, experiment. Pic a tree, bush, chair, shit - shoot a rock, but fix the shutter speed and then move through the aperature range. Then move the shutter and do it again. Then go look at all the pics, and see how the different settings affect the picture.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you just shoot in different program modes, just get a good point and shoot. The A570 is good.
Yeah i still don't know how to manually adjust the shutter speed, aperature range, etc... But thanks a bunch for all your information. I'm just locking in all that info assuming that this thread doesn't disappear. haha. Once I know the ins and out of my camera and start to understand more about shutter speed, etc... I can look back to your info that you gave as a resource. Thanks again turbo.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #88
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Is there any website or book you would recommend for a beginner like me to learn about photography? I had wanted to take a night class on photography at a junior college or something, but I don't think I'll have time until next year.
Appreciate 0