E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 10 Years and 5 BMW's - Left The Brand!

11-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
745nomore
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

10 Years and 5 BMW's - Left The Brand!

Between me and the wife:

2001 330i
2004 740i
2006 750Li
2008 M3 e90
2010 M3 e93

Had an issue on the last purchase and got treated like crap. They take us for granted, so I'm voting with my feet. No BMW in the garage as of last week. First time in 10 years. Moved on to a new 991 and a QX56.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Wow..more details on your bad experience..sounds like it must have been something major to sour a long time customer.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745nomore View Post
Between me and the wife:

2001 330i
2004 740i
2006 750Li
2008 M3 e90
2010 M3 e93

Had an issue on the last purchase and got treated like crap. They take us for granted, so I'm voting with my feet. No BMW in the garage as of last week. First time in 10 years. Moved on to a new 991 and a QX56.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, perhaps a change in dealership may have helped. Then I don't know all the details.

Anyway, wishing you all the best with the Porsche ... It's a nice car

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
745nomore
Rep

Within 3 days after signing my last lease, they pumped up the residuals from 50 to 62%. 3 days cost me about 10k over the life of the lease. I got a big run around from BMW, BMW financial and the dealer. Each blamed the other for not being able to address the situation. I was told months later that the dealer could have undone the contract and restarted, but too late now. At the end of the day, I was told "it's like buying a TV and then seeing it advertised for a lower price." Maybe it's sour grapes, but even HHGregg will guarantee price for 30 days. in any event, I decided at that point I'm done with BMW. They made it clear they couldn't care less that I'd been a loyal customer for ten years. So I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
745nomore
Rep

And BTW, the line about "it's like buying a TV and then seeing it advertised for a lower price" came from a senior guy at BMW financial, not the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
745nomore
Rep

Thanks. I am really enjoying the 991. The power to weight ratio is incredible and the car is totally glued to the road. A total blast! Loved the M3's too. You can't go wrong with any of these cars. We're all really lucky to be driving these incredible machines.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
z4ps
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 M4

Can't predict better or worse lease/purchase program.

Once it's signed and funded, finalized.
Then no questions asked.

Just enjoy your New 911, hopefully you will be back.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Typical customer - 10 years of enjoying the product and not a peep. One bad experience and you join a BMW forum and tell the tale to all that will listen.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by z4ps View Post
Can't predict better or worse lease/purchase program. Once it's signed and funded, finalized. Then no questions asked.
yeah ... that's the deal unfortunately. I had a bad experience too, although it was due to (the most popular) an online dealer. This dealer came recommended by EVERYONE on this list.

Well they turned out to absolutely suck. The almost f'd up my ED - when I left for Germany I had no idea if I would actually pick up the car! That was due to the fact that they had no idea how to create a leasing contract. They got the numbers wrong again and again and again. I bet we exchanged contracts via fedex 10 times (literally) - it was that bad.

To make it worse - they totally f'd up my ED US delivery. Since I didn't live in Maryland, I had arranged with them to do a "courtesy delivery" with my local dealer; that means my local dealer generously offered to ship the car to me for free ... all the Maryland dealer had to do was fax the paperwork at the right time. Guess what? They fecked it up despite my hourly calls and their repeated assurance everything was fine. Eventually I had to pay for delivery myself just to end the problem.

Here's what I learned:

(1.) BMW, the manufacturer, has NOTHING to do with the cars we buy beyond that they make them. Repeat: NOTHING. Sure they have a vague interest, but that's it

(2.) BMW North America has a bit more to do with the cars we buy, but again not too much - they are a branding and marketing company

(3.) Dealers are, in general, independent businesses. They buy cars, then they re-sell them. BMW and BMWNA can incent and strong-arm, but the dealers are who you do business with and if they suck ... they suck

(4.) BMW FS is also separate

Conclusion ... this is why nobody solved your issue: they're all separate entities and, in general, only good will motivates them to do anything and that good will withers quickly if any of the entities has to lose money helping you solve a problem another entity - or the system - created.

It's not that BMW doesn't care necessarily ... it's that the system that is car sales in the US of A is built to not help you when you run into a problem.

So my lesson is to find a VERY reputable dealer and stick with them and pay them for their honesty and good will because if you have problem they'll be your best friend. If you haven't had a problem yet it's only luck

I'm hoping Steve Thomas BMW is my new best friend but then ... I've not done business with them yet.

BMW Motorwerks in Bloomington MN was my old best friend ... they did stuff for me out of good will, but after so long I think it was purely out of pity. Either way they went the extra 1000 miles for me; without them I would've been screwed.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
well u left the brand for some nice cars

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I agree with the 991 choice, but the QX56 is just gross.

Sorry about your issues with BMW. You had lots of cars over the last 10 years from them. Should have made it right for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Within 3 days after signing my last lease, they pumped up the residuals from 50 to 62%. 3 days cost me about 10k over the life of the lease. I got a big run around from BMW, BMW financial and the dealer. Each blamed the other for not being able to address the situation. I was told months later that the dealer could have undone the contract and restarted, but too late now. At the end of the day, I was told "it's like buying a TV and then seeing it advertised for a lower price." Maybe it's sour grapes, but even HHGregg will guarantee price for 30 days. in any event, I decided at that point I'm done with BMW. They made it clear they couldn't care less that I'd been a loyal customer for ten years. So I'm done.
Thank you for using 'Couldn't care less' correctly. Drives me nuts when people say 'Could care less'.

Enjoy the Porsche!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
745nomore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I agree with the 991 choice, but the QX56 is just gross.

Sorry about your issues with BMW. You had lots of cars over the last 10 years from them. Should have made it right for you.
The QX is a hog, but it moves four adults and a 62 pound dog with a weekend worth of gear in comfort. The engine is a monster and the drivetrain is very smooth. So there is some fun to be had if you like hurling 2.5 tons up the side of a mountain.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Thank you for using 'Couldn't care less' correctly. Drives me nuts when people say 'Could care less'.

Enjoy the Porsche!
Unfortunately both versions are technically correct, but I agree with you - "could care less" makes no sense whatsoever and shouldn't be considered correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
Sorry that happened to you man. This wouldn't be the first time I've heard of owners getting screwed by stealerships. Great choice on the 991. Hope you enjoy it!

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
psshh. who cares? you've upgraded to a porsche 991. enjoy it!!
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #17
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Am I missing something? Your butthurt cause you bought the car and AFTER you bought it the rates changed and you wanted the new rates? That's absurd.
And that's not like buying a tv cause bestbuy price matches within 30 days. Autos no.
      11-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

enjoy. 991 is awesome. QX not my taste.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #19
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
A while back, I was trying to get a job with one of the ahemm freight railraod companies. The lady interviewer said one thing to me: company great, job sucks.
With that in mind, BMW is a great company; it's just the people at the dealership level can either make it or break it.
I am sorry about your experience. HOpe you enjoy your P-car and N-car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #20
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
yeah ... that's the deal unfortunately. I had a bad experience too, although it was due to (the most popular) an online dealer. This dealer came recommended by EVERYONE on this list.

Well they turned out to absolutely suck. The almost f'd up my ED - when I left for Germany I had no idea if I would actually pick up the car! That was due to the fact that they had no idea how to create a leasing contract. They got the numbers wrong again and again and again. I bet we exchanged contracts via fedex 10 times (literally) - it was that bad.

To make it worse - they totally f'd up my ED US delivery. Since I didn't live in Maryland, I had arranged with them to do a "courtesy delivery" with my local dealer; that means my local dealer generously offered to ship the car to me for free ... all the Maryland dealer had to do was fax the paperwork at the right time. Guess what? They fecked it up despite my hourly calls and their repeated assurance everything was fine. Eventually I had to pay for delivery myself just to end the problem.

Here's what I learned:

(1.) BMW, the manufacturer, has NOTHING to do with the cars we buy beyond that they make them. Repeat: NOTHING. Sure they have a vague interest, but that's it

(2.) BMW North America has a bit more to do with the cars we buy, but again not too much - they are a branding and marketing company

(3.) Dealers are, in general, independent businesses. They buy cars, then they re-sell them. BMW and BMWNA can incent and strong-arm, but the dealers are who you do business with and if they suck ... they suck

(4.) BMW FS is also separate

Conclusion ... this is why nobody solved your issue: they're all separate entities and, in general, only good will motivates them to do anything and that good will withers quickly if any of the entities has to lose money helping you solve a problem another entity - or the system - created.

It's not that BMW doesn't care necessarily ... it's that the system that is car sales in the US of A is built to not help you when you run into a problem.

So my lesson is to find a VERY reputable dealer and stick with them and pay them for their honesty and good will because if you have problem they'll be your best friend. If you haven't had a problem yet it's only luck

I'm hoping Steve Thomas BMW is my new best friend but then ... I've not done business with them yet.

BMW Motorwerks in Bloomington MN was my old best friend ... they did stuff for me out of good will, but after so long I think it was purely out of pity. Either way they went the extra 1000 miles for me; without them I would've been screwed.

A dead on point... dead on... same issue when I had a Mazda...

Typical signs of a poorly run company... no one knows the answers, won't accept responsibility and the parent company will not force anyone to solve the issue. As long as they are making money, they simply don't care.
      11-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
A dead on point... dead on... same issue when I had a Mazda...

Typical signs of a poorly run company... no one knows the answers, won't accept responsibility and the parent company will not force anyone to solve the issue. As long as they are making money, they simply don't care.
Yup and it's painful because if you're ignorant to all of this it can cost you a lot of emotional energy when it's supposed to be the exact opposite.

The other one I love reading is "my dealer says these mods won't jeopardize my warranty!" As if the dealer has anything to do with it.

Sure they might make your maintenance visits easier, maybe even a small lie of omission if the shiz hits the fan, but BMW can and will void your warranty for any reason they like. "but the moss mag act says blah blah blah"

Maybe your $500/hr attorney gets a judge to agree ... Maybe not
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

+- which country? USA?
Appreciate 0