E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW experts/continous owners: What is BMW's major flaw?

09-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
BMW experts/continous owners: What is BMW's major flaw?

Since this is my first BMW, and honestly don't much about
BMW's problems. I know all about BMW's finest features, but not the negatives.

Example, Honda has problem with weak auto tranny. New nissan
cars had problems with camber issues, and crappy interior(rattle
problems), toyota really didn't have much(I guess there is reason
why toyota is most reliable), Ford and domestic brand have just
about every other problems, etc etc.

I heard European cars, such as Audi, VW, MBenz, BMW, etc have
problems in the area of electrical. I am guessing problem with
wiring and electronics.

So those of you who have owned BMW for a while, or even if
you are not and you are well into BMW vehicles/history, can you
tell me some Major problems that BMW vehicles face usually?

It can be real general or in details. Thanks guys.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

My E36's fan belt broke after 6 years. Don't know if that was a common problem or not.

My E46's indicator assembly had to be changed over after 6 years. The indicator blinked left continuously. Again don't know how common this was.

No problems otherwise. Very reliable cars indeed!

Other issues that are points of discussion are the long list of extras available at extra cost, some of which should be standard on the cars. Makes the cost of the car you really want much more expensive than the base price. Will turn people away.

Some cars will have a few problems during one person's ownership, while another will be problem free - with the absolute major emphasis on problem free owners.

Trouble is, you only read/hear about the problem cars, never about the issue free cars. So although there may be a number of cars with problems, compared to the number of cars manufactured & sold, it (the number - not the issue) pales into perspective.

As many of you know, I am so very happy with my car. If the unfortunate was to occur - a fault happen - I would just deal with it by taking the car to my dealer to get it fixed fuss and panic free. That's what they are there for.

Hope my little insight helps.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 12:29 AM   #3
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

Flaw is a big word, and is hugely different from maintenance issues. A Ferrari needs a new clutch every 3000 miles or so. Is it a flaw? Do people stop buying Ferrari's because of that? BMW's S50B32 motor needs valve adjustment every 13k miles, but would it really ruin the ownership of a Euro-spec E36 M3 3.2?

My M3 needs rear shocks every 40k miles and eats rear tires, I don't have a problem with it nor do I consider those problems. Sure Toyotas/Lexus can be virtually trouble-free, but they are also so damn boring to drive.

My point is things like maintenance items, are part of a car's character that shall be overlooked if the car can perform the way it should do when it should. That however, doesn't mean BMW is doing alright. They will lose more enthusiastic customers if things like CDV, drive-by-wire, staggered wheels and no limited slip diff on non-M continue to happen. But then again, I'm sure there are just as many people out there who won't be bothered by those what I call "flaws" at all.

As for real, serious flaws, there have been things like the E46's subframe, S54's bearing, mid-90's V8 engine nikasil lining...etc. I'm sure soneone can add some more.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 01:25 AM   #4
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
power windows
      09-27-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
egtlover74
Photographer
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe

I will say CUP HOLDERS.... haha!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 06:29 AM   #6
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Every car company is going to turn out vehicles with flaws. The E36 had a number of bugs, most of which were corrected on the E46 (the only big one I can think of that the two shared was a crappy rear subframe bushing system). I am sure the E90 will improve on the E46. There are also the big headaches like the nickle cylinder lining on the older 5 series, 7 series diffs from the mid 90s (the ones that required a special $400 per liter fluid) and the S52 motors blowing up. These have all been mentioned, but they are worth noting as BMW's not so bright moments.

Currently, I think the company has a number of issues that need to be addressed:

First: They need to get the focus back on the 3 main series production vehicles and stop wasting time chasing after niche markets. The X3, X5 and Z3 are nice, successful products (I think the X3 is the "stretch for it" car in the BMW lineup). Some of the other things that are rumored such as the X6 crossover and the minivan need to not happen. When cars like the 5 are being critiqued on the driving dynamics, when lots of people who know BMWs drive them and say the steering feels muted, BMW is loosing focus. Niche cars small of desperation in my book.

Second: Bangle needs to stop "developing" his design language. I like a lot of what Bangle has done and I think the 5 series is the best looking modern sedan in existence. I hate the asses on the 7 and 6 but I love their fronts (especially the 6). Any way it goes though, I am sick of defending my favorite car company's looks. There was a time when BMWs were minimalist, elegant, purposeful and strong looking. They were neat and tidy and they didn't make too much of a splash in the aesthetics department, preferring to let the driving speak for itself. I understand what Bangle is trying to accomplish, I see the intent in the sheet-metal, I know he has a destination- I just wish he would get there already. I miss the days when people talked about the way these cars made you feel when you drove them, not the way they make you feel looking at them.

Third: The nickel and dime you options setup. The 325i is a bargain, until you price it out with the stuff you want, then it becomes a relatively expensive car. The options situation really has very little to do with the money though, and everything to do with the fact that it is just really annoying to have to tick off these expensive little boxes to make the car what it SHOULD be from the get-go. BMW makes a LOT of money on options (which cost very little to install, so the profit margins are huge) but how many more BMWs would sell if most of those features came standard?

For my 2 year hiatus from BMWs (driven by my current finances as I start up a company and, well, I've been driving BMWs since I was 17) I almost bought an Acura TSX. One of the really nice things about the TSX was the fact that, aside from colors, you only got to choose yea/nay on the Nav and if you wanted an automatic or not. There are a couple of dealer stick on accessories (wheels and aero kits and the like), but no real options. There was something really nice and elegant about that and it had very little to do with the price. I wish BMW would do something similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 07:15 AM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

ZenDriver, Bangle has not been the chief designer for a while. Van Hooydonk was the chief designer when the E90 was designed, and the E90 exterior was designed by Joji Nagashima, who also designed the E39 5 Series and E36 3 Series Exterior.

Jojo Nagashima, Designer of the E90 exterior
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 07:32 AM   #8
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Although I agree with most of ZenDriver's commentary, I appreciate the flexibility of the option sheet on BMWs. I order mine minimalist: ZSP only, thankyou very much. No extra weight or cost. A 325i ZSP ED is close to the price of a loaded Camry or Accord. And that is good value in my book. I do not like the high prices of the options, and I understand that if they were standard (like the sunroof and high level trim on US models now) that economy of scale can lower the overall cost.

But to the point of weaknesses in the 3 series: In addition to those listed above I would add suspension bushings (control arm) on the E46. Some rust spots in older models. Having had a lot of high mileage bimmers, I would have to say that they are built to last. IMO old bimmers are more reliable than Hondas, or Nissans. The parts (and lord forbid, labor) are just more expensive. The beauty of Honda design, IMO, is the ability to get the max out of light, cheap materials. The beauty of BMW design is the ability to get the max out of light, expensive materials.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 07:36 AM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

E46/E36 =rear subframe problems if they've been driven hard or tracked.
E46 = dying window regulators (BMW new about this problem from the beginning of the E46 and they never could get their supplier to fix it).
E46= sunshade clips breaking
E46 = MAF sensor, Cam sensor, Final Stage Resistor (all of these issues sprinkled through out the model run)
E46 = My2004 Steptronic Tranny, BMW replaced these, on per customer request, with a remanufactured (many times the only "remanufactured" part was the transmission housing and everything else was new).
E46 = Engine coils for 2003+

My ZHP had some idling issues, but imo it was because the idle was programed too low from the factory (it was right at or just a hair below 500 rpms). My sunshade clips have broken 4 times since I've owned the car.
I have a squeaky sport seat that can be fixed, but I've grown to ignore it.

--Some of these are major some are just a PITA to have to deal with on a $40k car---
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 07:36 AM   #10
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Funny how this thread was started. Right off the bat, I will say this, The 3 series is a very fun car to drive, IMO, it is the "ultimate driving machine" at $40K. But, it is MAN MADE. I just recently went through a bad experience with the new e90. Not to scared anyone but I had major issues with the coolant and water pump system. Maybe e90fleet could do some digging on these faults codes the dealer gave me. I don't have access to a scanner and will do my best to type the invoice description:

8079 found fault code 2E83, 2E84, and 2E85, all water pump faults for voltage or communication. I found that the wires all had proper signals, and connector was good. Needs water pump.

I was out of town (roughly 220 miles) running away from hurricane rita. I brought my car into a BMW in a different state and they told me with these faults codes, I can drive back to Houston. Maybe you guys would have delt with it differently but I thought this was the best alternative for me was to drive the car home at 50 MPH with no AC because of hurricane Rita and the shortest of wrecker and loaner cars. I am back in houston now and the car is sitting at the Houston dealer. :mad:
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #11
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
ZenDriver, Bangle has not been the chief designer for a while. Van Hooydonk was the chief designer when the E90 was designed, and the E90 exterior was designed by Joji Nagashima, who also designed the E39 5 Series and E36 3 Series Exterior.
That's something that very few people take into consideration. It was Van Hooydonk who actually drew up the final design for the 7er and 6er. I think it was an Asian fellow (but not Nagashima) who did the 5er.

Also never mentioned is how the BMW BoD has to approve all designs. It's not like Bangle and the Designworks USA team had free reign to draw up whatever they wanted and it would be approved like a rubber stamp. I think the BoD wanted to go in a bold new direction and these are obviously the designs they liked. I don't think for one minute that the BoD would approve for production any design that they didn't like.

-MrB
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #12
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
lux.sh, here's my experience with BMW. I've been driving my wife's BMW (1996) and she had a 1991 in Highschool. She's one of the lucky one's like others on this board that had generous parents (I drove used POCs until this purchase).

BMW engine and transmission are pretty much bullet proof. Since the company takes great measures to design and improve the overall powertrain, this is the true strength of the car.

Other areas are hit or miss, The oxygen sensor on the 1996 was continuously failing and I had to replace it 3 times. Electronics were sometimes flaky - i.e seat belt light would go off and on, check engine light would be present on rainy days etc.

Shocks need replacement after 60-80 K miles if you want to keep the great handling. IMO, the strut setup on the front is harder on shocks than a double wishbone setup, but that's just an opinion.

The 92 and 96 tailights would go out everynow and again.

Keep in mind, that service costs are a bear on any German import car(or luxury brand). The free maintenance is key for the first 4-6 years, and then hopefully you have a honest local guy that can do normal maintenance. If you are handy yourself and can replace your own oil, fluids, etc, that is a better way to go. Don't let the mechanics/service sdvisors trick you into thinking that you can only go to BMW dealership service centers for repairs. They make most of their dough in the parts/service.

The major service light goes off at 60K miles, just after the free maintnenace period ends. This service costs around $1200. If you choose to extend the maintenence plan to 6 years/100K miles. The "minor" service check costs around 600 at the dealers. The service light is somewhat of a pain, b/c there are very few private shops that have the reset tools.

Good luck, I have some friends with circa 90s Hondas and Mitsubishis and they were always replacing their transmission at the 60K mark. My most bulletproof car ever was a mazda Miata.
      09-27-2005, 07:49 AM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

It seems as if most of the problems with the E90 involve electrics/computer control issues. In short, doo-dads. I am guessing there is too much outsourcing, and the resultant mix of parts from many different suppliers has resulted in a new level of engineering management complexity. Not a good situation -- if the parts are not readily available at the dealers, then we get horror stories like txusa03 endured.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 08:38 AM   #14
wrtworld
Rep
Drives:

E46 here and 99.9% trouble free car
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 08:55 AM   #15
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Good call, but Joji Nagashima did not pen the E36, Klaus Luthe penned it himself. Nagashima penned the E36/7, aka Z3 roadster.

Also the E90 was indeed developed under Bangle's direction. The initial phase of the project started in 1999, first proposals were reviewed in late 2001. By the time AVH became the head of design (Jan 2004), the E90 was almost finished.

Below: Nagashima working on E90's clay model.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #16
mattldm
M40i Soon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i coming soon

Don't even get started on the E39 V-8's - the list is far to long to type here!

Radiators are a major problem though, they explode at about 30K - 50K miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #17
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

my car radiator already shows sign of distressed at 8,200 miles. Post photos later (still recovering from rita and the long agonizing 50 MPH drive w/ no AC and with the dash making that "ding" sound warning me of overheating. I hope no major damage was done. Like someone said earlier, just have to deal with it. Could happen to any car or anyone. just glad I made it back in one piece but when ever I take her out on long trip, that nightmare will forever stayed with me.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #18
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk
That's something that very few people take into consideration. It was Van Hooydonk who actually drew up the final design for the 7er and 6er. I think it was an Asian fellow (but not Nagashima) who did the 5er.

Also never mentioned is how the BMW BoD has to approve all designs. It's not like Bangle and the Designworks USA team had free reign to draw up whatever they wanted and it would be approved like a rubber stamp. I think the BoD wanted to go in a bold new direction and these are obviously the designs they liked. I don't think for one minute that the BoD would approve for production any design that they didn't like.

-MrB
The E39 5er was designed by Nagashima. The E60 by Italian Davida Arcangeli.

It's very true that Bangle as head of design did not have the power to change the design direction of a huge company like BMW. Not even the senior management nor the board had the say. The decision to go bold and contemporary in design was made by the Quandt family, who owns BMW Group.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #19
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maq
The E39 5er was designed by Nagashima. The E60 by Italian Davida Arcangeli.

It's very true that Bangle as head of design did not have the power to change the design direction of a huge company like BMW. Not even the senior management nor the board had the say. The decision to go bold and contemporary in design was made by the Quandt family, who owns BMW Group.

I thought this thread was about problems and not design?

--sorry..just had to say it..wanted to use my Offtopic guy---
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #20
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom

I thought this thread was about problems and not design?

--sorry..just had to say it..wanted to use my Offtopic guy---
Well, some have expressed design was the problem. So I followed the discussion. The topic of this thread states "flaw". A flaw could be a lot of things, not just problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 10:31 AM   #21
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
BMW's electronics are second tier. Lexus has much betters software and gadgets, IMO. If the IS350 was a hybrid, it might have been too much for me and I would have probably opted for it instead of the 330i.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #22
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
WINDOW REGULATORS!!! :mad:

They went out one at a time on my e46. I hope they've fix this by now!

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0