E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > "Runs pretty good, don't it."

05-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

"Runs pretty good, don't it."

In my lane, under the posted speed limit, uninhabited area, unobstructed vision, short series of tight turns. Sorry I brought it up.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Rippy087
Private
Rep
Drives:

Haha that's great, and he didn't give ya a ticket. I can't wait to experience the potential of the 1er in some tight turns and at speed.

Jake
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

What a waste of a salary. I feel bad for the "semi-deserted" local who's going to meet you head on one day in his 30 year old truck or farm tractor.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Jumpman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: .

Actually if he ran into a local in a 30-year old truck or farm tractor....I'd feel bad for the guy in the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywalmartcustomer View Post
What a waste of a salary. I feel bad for the "semi-deserted" local who's going to meet you head on one day in his 30 year old truck or farm tractor.
Why are you a psychic??? Do you know that that is what is going to happen?
Just because he was driving the car hard does not mean he was driving recklessly... not everyone buying a 1er is planing on doing the speed limit at all times... there is a big difference between driving faster then the posted speed limits and driving recklessly.... The speed limits are pretty much there to keep the dummies who really can not drive very well from killing everyone else... I drive for a living and I also drive over the speed limit 99% of the time... I have never had an accident...

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
gomezs2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

well said
BLK BOSTON LEATHER
HIGH GLOSS BLK TRIM
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

The speed limit is simply posted. Because any faster and many more lives would be at stake while driving. Driving is dangerous enough, but ultimately it's just you and the car. You decide if you want to be a granny, drive normal, or be 16.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

when im on a nice twisty, i usually do 2x the posted speedlimit for a turn, i find that to be a pretty accurate limit for a spirited drive without being reckless.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

The porsche pilot wants everyone to slow down?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

You should have slammed your brakes..
:roundel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburn View Post
That's what the police officer said to me when he pulled me over.

I was in a semi-deserted part of the world -- fields, quarries and junkyards -- that nonetheless has some great two-lane esses. I was showing my wife how well the 135i negotiates turns.

The officer saw me as I drifted out of the last curve. He was driving the other way, but pretty soon I saw him in my rear-view mirror. He followed me closely (and by that I mean 1 to 2 feet behind me) for about a quarter mile. Then he gave me a blast from his siren.

He told me to slow it down. No ticket. He also said, "I thought I might have to give you a bump-pass back there. I thought we were playing NASCAR."
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
The porsche pilot wants everyone to slow down?
Yeah I am sure he has never driven above the speed limit or taken turns above the "posted" limit.... Give me a break.... I am not denying that there are assholes out there that drive fast and recklessly.. but don't lump everyone who drives in a " spirited " manner into that same group... The OP did not post that he was doing 140 mph in a 25 MPH school zone with kids crossing the street... He had some sweet twisties and decided to give the 1er a kick in the pants and revel in how well it negotiates these said twisties... why get a sports car if you are not going to push it every now and then??? You can do that responsibly you know....

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

That's happened to me before. I was driving spiritedly around some turns and as I was going around the last one a cop was going the other direction. He slammed on his brakes and did a U-turn, then preceded to follow 1 foot behind me for about a mile, lol. He didn't pull me over though!
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topvega View Post
Why are you a psychic??? Do you know that that is what is going to happen?
Just because he was driving the car hard does not mean he was driving recklessly... not everyone buying a 1er is planing on doing the speed limit at all times... there is a big difference between driving faster then the posted speed limits and driving recklessly.... The speed limits are pretty much there to keep the dummies who really can not drive very well from killing everyone else... I drive for a living and I also drive over the speed limit 99% of the time... I have never had an accident...

Speed limits are to keep dummies who can't drive well, and who can't afford or choose not to drive modern cars that can't accomodate higher speeds and higher speed impacts from killing everyone else and themselves. Speed limits are also meant to protect these same dummies from dummies who can't distinguish or choose not to distinguish between the race track and public roads. Try dodging an orange cone in the middle of a corner at 45 mph, then do it at 90mph. Now pretend that's someone's kid.

Drifting your car on a public road with other traffic around (such as the policeman) is reckless in my view. Going into a neighborhood that's not your own and speeding with no regard for the residents is reprehensible. I live on a road that's about 7 miles long with 30 turns. It was paved about 4 years ago and since then almost every turn has atleast one fatality. You don't have to be a psychic to predict what happens when you abandon consideration for others while driving a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speed limits are to keep dummies who can't drive well, and who can't afford or choose not to drive modern cars that can't accomodate higher speeds and higher speed impacts from killing everyone else and themselves. Speed limits are also meant to protect these same dummies from dummies who can't distinguish or choose not to distinguish between the race track and public roads. Try dodging an orange cone in the middle of a corner at 45 mph, then do it at 90mph. Now pretend that's someone's kid.

Drifting your car on a public road with other traffic around (such as the policeman) is reckless in my view. Going into a neighborhood that's not your own and speeding with no regard for the residents is reprehensible. I live on a road that's about 7 miles long with 30 turns. It was paved about 4 years ago and since then almost every turn has atleast one fatality. You don't have to be a psychic to predict what happens when you abandon consideration for others while driving a car.
The OP was not drifting his car ... if he was drifting he wld have been pulled over for sure... he was not driving in some ones neighborhood either... read the original post... it was a mostly deserted section of road that a cop happened to be patrolling... Tell us that you have never driven your cars over the legal speed limit... go ahead... lie to us... funny... when I read the original post it did not sound like the OP abandoned consideration for others while driving his car.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #15
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

This is generally how people crash and kill others. Driving "spirited" on "deserted" roads. A closed course is one thing, public roads are something else. You never know when a kid could be riding his bike down the side of the quiet, twisty road you are testing your car on.

The reason for speed limits is because a road might have blind corners or changing elevations, let alone hazards like wet leaves, puddles, gravel, etc. They aren't there just to ruin your fun.

This debate about speed limits is exactly why a LIGHT and lower powered car is more fun than a heavy, powerful and quicker one. Winding out a 128 is possible and you can remain under the speed limit. Winding out a 135 is harder since the car is so much faster. You run out of road.

If you really want to see what your car can do then go take a drivers course at a local track or at least an AutoX. If you have the money to afford a 40k BMW, you can afford a $30 autocross.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #16
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

And the people who post these stories or defend them are usually the same ones who later post that they are parting out their car after putting it into a tree or ditch.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #17
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topvega View Post
The OP was not drifting his car ... if he was drifting he wld have been pulled over for sure... he was not driving in some ones neighborhood either... read the original post... it was a mostly deserted section of road that a cop happened to be patrolling... Tell us that you have never driven your cars over the legal speed limit... go ahead... lie to us... funny... when I read the original post it did not sound like the OP abandoned consideration for others while driving his car.

You can accuse me of lying all you like but I can read.

"The officer saw me as I drifted out of the last curve."

Also you've changed the rhetoric of the OP from "semi-deserted" to "mostly deserted." In either case, it's not deserted. In my book, semi-deserted is equivilant to semi-inhabited, and semi-inhabited is nothing more than complicating the base term: inhabited.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #18
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whya1? View Post
And the people who post these stories or defend them are usually the same ones who later post that they are parting out their car after putting it into a tree or ditch.
21 years of driving and NO accidents and yes I am defending the OP in this case.. I also drive for a living 5 days a week for at least 9 to 10 hrs a day with NO accidents... I see plenty of assholes on the road every day and 80% of them are people in SUV's with one hand on the wheel and the other has a cell phone in it... We are not talking about doing 90 in a residential neighborhood... I have plenty of roads around me that are desolate and yes I push the car beyond the speed limit on occasion... I am sure almost everyone has gone above the posted speed limit on occasion and a what if scenario wld work against them as well....

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #19
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can accuse me of lying all you like but I can read.

"The officer saw me as I drifted out of the last curve."

Also you've changed the rhetoric of the OP from "semi-deserted" to "mostly deserted." In either case, it's not deserted. In my book, semi-deserted is equivilant to semi-inhabited, and semi-inhabited is nothing more than complicating the base term: inhabited.
Okay Mother Theresa... Following your logic if YOU have ever driven over the speed limit in almost any location in the world that MIGHT be populated then you have indeed also put endless numbers of innocent lives at risk.. so get down off your soap box and look in the mirror and give yourself a stern talking to...

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #20
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Can't we all just get along...............................?

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #21
topvega
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse View Post
Can't we all just get along...............................?
Of course we can...:biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 12:13 AM   #22
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburn View Post
In my lane, under the posted speed limit, uninhabited area, unobstructed vision, short series of tight turns. Sorry I brought it up.
Yeah, I'll bet you are. You never know when, you never know where, eventually it does, forum happens.

BTW, lads, this thread is being watched. FYI.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0