E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Subaru WRX attempted test drive

06-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Subaru WRX attempted test drive

So my roommate is in the market for a new car to replace his Acura TSX. He wants a car that's preferably available in manual and a car that's practical yet fun to drive with navigation and bluetooth streaming since he streams a lot of Pandora. He wanted a WRX and asked if I could go with him since he wanted my input on the drive and what not so I went with him.

To my surprise, they had a couple WRX's on the lot but the sales associate refused to let us test drive them. He went on to say that people who buy WRX's already know they want them and don't need to drive them. In addition, he claimed that WRX buyers expect their cars to have 0 miles on them (which really isn't possible but whatever).

He then went on about how people can't just test drive cars that are "$30,000 and go 0-60 in 5 seconds" or however fast they are...it wasn't an STi so they're not blinding fast or anything.

Anyway I was kind of shocked. I mean my 335i was over $60k and is faster than a WRX and I had no issue whatsoever test driving one. The guy acted like we walked in there asking to test drive a Nissan GT-R or something.

Was this guy just being a complete jerk or are dealerships really testy about potential buyers test driving WRX's?

In the end after test driving a few other cars that just weren't his style (Camaro V6 and a Ford Focus ST...which is one of the harshest riding vehicles I've ever been in but otherwise a good car, if it weren't for the ride it would've been a good contender...the Camaro was an absolute pile of crap, the shifter vibrated as he drove it and it was brand new, I don't even know why he considered it since it's not particularly practical at all) I was able to convince him to test drive an A3 since it's in his price range (2 Series would be the closest comparable BMW but it's two doors, the Mini based 1 Series would be a better alternative but that's not out yet and from photos I've seen so far...looks like a shoe). They don't come available in manuals (dual clutch only) but have all the other requirements and he loved it...Audi actually let him test drive the damn thing, even as they approached closing time no less. Sales guy was very friendly and knowledgeable. He set up an appointment for this weekend to try to close a deal on a 2015 A3 1.8T FWD.

I just couldn't believe the snotty attitude Subaru had, I've had significantly better experiences at luxury dealerships...places where many people think the sales associates are stuck up (my roommate also had this misconception about places like BMW and Audi), I've always had completely opposite experiences, very courteous, knowledgeable and polite.

EDIT: I should also add that I personally was thoroughly impressed by the A3. The amount of standard equipment on even the base model was impressive. Leather, HID headlamps with LED daytime running lights, and bluetooth...all of these things are options on the F30...hell even on the A4. Audi seems to have aggressively priced and equipped these cars to target a younger demographic.

Last edited by fecurtis; 06-02-2014 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I was once denied a test drive for a 370Z because someone had rolled one on a test drive a few weeks earlier. It happens...

Let's be honest, the target demo for that car probably presents a bit of a hazard but I don't see why you couldn't test drive it with the associate in the car with you. I was just thrown the keys to a TSX and told to be back in a half hour when I was in the market but it comes down to the demo, again.

I have noticed that if I come on my lunch break from work (in a suit), it's a whole different ballgame than the weekends with shorts and sandals.

I think that if he thought your friend might buy the car that day he would probably have let you guys test drive it.

I went to Lotus (in shorts and t-shirt) to look at the Elise and they wouldn't let me test drive it but he did take me out for a ride and showed me their current stock. I called the next day and told him I would take the silver Exige and dropped off a check at lunch from work. He literally said "I have a very different impression of you today than I did on Saturday...". It's nothing new. Profiling is a part of the car buying game, unfortunately.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 06-02-2014 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I was once denied a test drive for a 370Z because someone had rolled one on a test drive a few weeks earlier. It happens...

Let's be honest, the target demo for that car probably presents a bit of a hazard but I don't see why you couldn't test drive it with the associate in the car with you. I was just thrown the keys to a TSX and told to be back in a half hour when I was in the market but it comes down to the demo, again.

I have noticed that if I come on my lunch break from work (in a suit), it's a whole different ballgame than the weekends with shorts and sandals.

I think that if he thought your friend might buy the car that day he would probably have let you guys test drive it.
Yeah that was really odd, we didn't look like HS kids or anything (at least I'd like to think we don't look that young). Ford, I'd imagine, would have the same risks as the WRX (HS/college kids driving Focus ST's for fun and driving them like idiots) but they didn't have an issue with it either.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Yeah that was really odd, we didn't look like HS kids or anything (at least I'd like to think we don't look that young). Ford, I'd imagine, would have the same risks as the WRX (HS/college kids driving Focus ST's for fun and driving them like idiots) but they didn't have an issue with it either.
They're not used to people getting excited about their vehicles.... HEYOOOOOOO

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
I went to test drive a Mini that was at a Subaru dealership. It had been sold, but the sales guy said to me, "Don't you want to buy something that will last?".

Maybe the Subaru sales training program is in need of some adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I have had some different experiences with test driving cars. I was able to test drive my WRX no problem.
Wanted to test drive an EVO... nope.
A few years back I wanted to test drive a 911 Turbo S. No problem

When I went to look at the 335i /335d I test drove both back to back and could've test drove anything else. The sales guy was really nice. He likes the same Sushi restaurant; we run into him all the time. Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
davey111483
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my GF crazy!

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 ZCP  [0.00]
That happened to me at another BMW dealership, guy wouldn't even let me test drive the car and even mocked the car I was driving, an evo x, saying he once raced one on the street and he smoked him in his BMW. I told him I go to the track often and raced a couple of BMW's including the new M235i and quite impressed that's why I'm in a BMW dealership. He went on bragging about nonsense stuff. In the end, I went to another BMW dealership to buy my car. I can't stand those kind of salespersons.
      06-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Buddy of mine and I went to the Subaru dealership a couple of weeks ago and test drove an STI no problem and he ended up buying it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Same thing happened to me a few years ago when I lemoned my 335.

Suby and mitsu laughed me out of the dealership. Bought a z4m.

Asshats
      06-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

I don't know why but I get so annoyed when car salesmen do these 3 things:

1. Explain how you can open the car door without taking the key out your pocket.

2. Explain how you can start the car without taking your key out of your pocket.

3. Explain the magical wonders of dual climate control.

It's like those are supposed to be the "wow" factors. It usually works on women.

When I ask them real questions like can you show me how to get the transmission into S-SPORT mode (for my Evo X) he was MF'n clueless.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Did you arrive in your 335? That might help.

They probably figured you or your friend might beat on the car, which I think a lot of people do during test drives.

I personally have never been denied a test drive. I think a lot of sales are surprised how 'gentle' I am when I go for a drive. When I test drive a car, I drive it like I normally would as if I owned it, which is not to beat on it too much until I am familiar with it (which is not enought time for me during a test drive). I am not there to test the limits of that car. I think that is best left after you owned the car, which is MHO.

Before I bought the 135, I took one out for a drive. Somehow, the topic of letting people test drive came up. The SA says he would have no problem letting anyone driving a 128, but would be 'selective' in allowing people drive a 135, which I did drive.

Of course, if you do not get the service that you want, I would move on.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I test drove a Porsche today. I look like a bum. Nobody at the dealership looked or treated me poorly.

I'd say you went to a bad dealer or just a SA on a bad day. Try a different one.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #13
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

I went and test drove a X5M at my local dealership (BMW Fairfax) and they gave me the keys - rep didn't even come. Drove that thing like I stole it (I got 9mpg after the test drive). Went to BMW Rockville right after that and wanted to test drive a X6M - the stupid rep asked if I had a check and won't let me test drive without showing me a check. Walked out and bought from another dealer instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #14
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshaq20 View Post
I went and test drove a X5M at my local dealership (BMW Fairfax) and they gave me the keys - rep didn't even come. Drove that thing like I stole it (I got 9mpg after the test drive). Went to BMW Rockville right after that and wanted to test drive a X6M - the stupid rep asked if I had a check and won't let me test drive without showing me a check. Walked out and bought from another dealer instead.
Yeah I've heard terrible things about BMW of Rockville.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #15
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
Did you arrive in your 335? That might help.

They probably figured you or your friend might beat on the car, which I think a lot of people do during test drives.

I personally have never been denied a test drive. I think a lot of sales are surprised how 'gentle' I am when I go for a drive. When I test drive a car, I drive it like I normally would as if I owned it, which is not to beat on it too much until I am familiar with it (which is not enought time for me during a test drive). I am not there to test the limits of that car. I think that is best left after you owned the car, which is MHO.

Before I bought the 135, I took one out for a drive. Somehow, the topic of letting people test drive came up. The SA says he would have no problem letting anyone driving a 128, but would be 'selective' in allowing people drive a 135, which I did drive.

Of course, if you do not get the service that you want, I would move on.
I did drive my 335i but he didn't see me pull in though.

He did give quite a stare as we left though.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #16
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

New WRXs are in light supply, punks test drive them, which leads to many dealers being very anal about test drives.

40 something buddy of mine wanted the same. Dealer 1 no test drive. Dealer 2, no problem, but CVT only. Dealer 3 no problem with manual but we are out right now. Same guy, same day.

Its not really a brand thing for the most part. Sure if you dress like a tool and try test drive a luxury car, you will be profiled but that profiling can extend down to a Kia too.

Sales people can be just as much of an idiot as the customer. I think we all as car people have stories on how we were treated poorly. Money talks so when you are serious about a car, then you turn it around on them, make them smell the commission they will lose, and suddenly you have some leverage.

- b
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #17
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Yea that shit happens from time to time. I pulled up in my 991 and got denied to test drive a brz, the sales man gave me the same exact excuse.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #18
Gle8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4Mc

I've never had an issue getting a test drive, whether it be an STI, 991 or CLA45 (all cars I've tested in the last 2 months). I don't dress like a bum, but I usually show up in jeans and t-shirt. The guy at the Porsche dealership actually encouraged me to beat on it to get a good feel for what it can do.

It's all in where you go and who they are used to seeing.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

if your goal is to test drive and not test the reaction of the guy to you or your attire that day, just say "How do I know if I want to buy it without driving it?"
This will get you over the unserious/freeloader impression..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Same thing happened to me a few years ago when I lemoned my 335.

Suby and mitsu laughed me out of the dealership. Bought a z4m.

Asshats
PWN3D!!!! I would drive back to Suby and Mitsu...oh the words I would have!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #21
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
if your goal is to test drive and not test the reaction of the guy to you or your attire that day, just say "How do I know if I want to buy it without driving it?"
This will get you over the unserious/freeloader impression..
Doesn't work. Tried that. Some reps just have to abide by the dealership's rule.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

I had no problem test driving an STi about two years ago. I was in the market for a car, had some time to kill and went up to the dealer about an hour before close. Wasn't dressed fancy by any means . . . Jeans and a t-shirt. I just went to check out the interior really. Salesmen, an older gentlement said "lets take her out", so I drove it, was impressed, and came back a few weeks later and put an order in.

While the car was being built I swung by a Mitsu dealer and drove an Evo X MR. Again, no problems driving that. Funniest thing was that I asked him about how Mitsu dealers are disappearing it seems and he gave me the "we've been here for X numbers of years and aren't going anywhere." Couldn't have expected anything less from him. Two years later that dealership is gone.

OP I think you just had a bad salesmen. Ensure they learn from the lesson. You don't have to be mean about it, but if your buddy ends up buying, he should buy elsewhere and let the sales manager know at the first place know why they lost the sale. It's the only way these guys will get better.
Appreciate 0