E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Recently sold my DD (Jeep Wrangler) and replaced it with a VW Golf R

06-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #45
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
That's a lot of money for wheels to not have lock nuts!

Car looks awesome!

I am looking for my next DD and am thinking either a Golf R or a JKU Rubicon X (called the "Hard Rock" for 2015). I know they are opposite ends of the spectrum but I've always wanted both. My 2008.5 GTI was probably the best all around car I've ever had and the R will improve the parts I felt were lacking (FWD, slow). The Rubi would be fun as hell to mod and I've always wanted a zombie apocalypse vehicle. I'm torn, man! Any insight?
hey thx man.
I have owned around 5-6 wranglers. I was a jeep guy, you know the type. During my 20's... I used to go camping and four wheeling, 32" 33" tires, gearing work, winch, etc. top off - a lot. it was the YJ and then TJ wrangler.

In my early 30's.... I still had a wrangler, all the time. now it's the JK, they are bigger, more power, more comfy, more stable. different interests, never went camping or four wheeling, top came off only 1-2 times per month, pita.

Got to my mid 30's.... still with the JK, I realize jeeps suck, unless you're using them for four wheeling.

think of it this way:
1. stopping, sucks
2. accelerating, sucks - usually. look for 411 factory gearing, better.
3. braking, sucks
4. handling, sucks
5. storage, sucks
6. security, sucks, soft top on? haha, forget it. hard top on, good.
7. gas mileage, really sucks, like 13mpg.

it's cool, fun for small day trips. great for tailgating fun, driving on the beach, driving through a forest,
if you're on vacay in HI, rent a wrangler, perfect.
but it sucks in real life.

that's why I got the golf R.
awd fun, much better mpgs. comfy. hathback utility.
so, I can't drive around in a blizzard anymore. gives me a reason to turn on the fireplace and drink some beerz.

good luck with your hunt.
sorry to be so blunt, but I've been there, done that.

I will answer any jeep questions you have. I worked in the field for years.
if you're going to go offroad, get the Rubi.
if not, get a sahara, they look killer, with the painted fender flares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
King, I'm currently considering both too. I have an R on order, but was really hoping the US Mk7 would have had MPI dual injection, which it looks like we won't be getting.
I didn't think they were taking orders yet. can't really order it, for 3 more months, maybe 4. delivery late january for usa. I agree, mpi would be nice. that's why I got the new wheels. I'm going to wait for a year or two, b/c they may end up bringing mpi here, and other options, like 2 door, and led tails. I had to add the led tails to my car. eu and row only.

Quote:
Funny, we're expecting and I'm now eying a Mini F55 instead of the R. I know kid seats will be tight, but I just don't like large cars.
I had more respect for the mini when it was mini.
now you could get a two door gti, and they are the same size.
you may want to consider a tdi golf. 50 mpg.

in 2-3 years VW will finally bring the US a speed diesel
like my 335D (which is 425 trq and 36mpg).
GTD will be around 300+ trq and 38+mpg.
the tdi now, it's 50 mpg, but not a speed diesel. slooow.
      06-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #46
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
I will answer any jeep questions you have. I worked in the field for years.
if you're going to go offroad, get the Rubi.
if not, get a sahara, they look killer, with the painted fender flares.
They offer the painted flares and top on the Rubi and Rubi X now as well. My pricing would get me a Rubi X for the price of a similarly equipped Sahara which is why I went that route (plus they look so badass).

I know that every driving dynamic absolutely blows on the Jeep. It could, in reality, be the worst DD in existence. They just look so cool. That being said, my buddy just got a Sahara that he put some 33s on which I can spend some time in, should I feel the urge.

Quote:
I didn't think they were taking orders yet. can't really order it, for 3 more months, maybe 4. delivery late january for usa. I agree, mpi would be nice. that's why I got the new wheels. I'm going to wait for a year or two, b/c they may end up bringing mpi here, and other options, like 2 door, and led tails. I had to add the led tails to my car. eu and row only.

I had more respect for the mini when it was mini.
now you could get a two door gti, and they are the same size.
you may want to consider a tdi golf. 50 mpg.

in 2-3 years VW will finally bring the US a speed diesel
like my 335D (which is 425 trq and 36mpg).
GTD will be around 300+ trq and 38+mpg.
the tdi now, it's 50 mpg, but not a speed diesel. slooow.
I think dealers are taking deposits but I don't think anyone in the US has a real "order" placed. No confirmed details, no pricing, no colors, etc. GTD would be cool but I'm not holding my breath.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #47
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I hear a lot of people talking about how big the Cooper is now. It's grown less than 7 inches in length since the R53 to 150.4 inches long. The F55 five door is 156.8 inches. Sure, it's larger, but still much smaller than the 167.5 inch long Mk7 and 300 pounds lighter.

The GTD would be great, I'll consider that or a sorted R when I grow frustrated with visiting the Mini dealer. And you're right, I'm just in line to order an R, it's not actually available to order yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #48
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hear a lot of people talking about how big the Cooper is now. It's grown less than 7 inches in length since the R53 to 150.4 inches long. The F55 five door is 156.8 inches. Sure, it's larger, but still much smaller than the 167.5 inch long Mk7 and 300 pounds lighter.

The GTD would be great, I'll consider that or a sorted R when I grow frustrated with visiting the Mini dealer. And you're right, I'm just in line to order an R, it's not actually available to order yet.
I hear you. I just think they left the air hose on too long. it looks overinflated or distorted in some way.
      06-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #49
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Haha, true. The F56 has certainly lost most of the visual appeal of the R53, it's awkward, certainly. And I want the double awkward version, the F55 five door. But with an M Coupe, 135i and X1 as history, it's sort of like destiny.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #50
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Care to share which camera and lens you're using?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #51
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Care to share which camera and lens you're using?
You can spend all your money in professional equipment, but if you don’t have the skill to use it (including your eye - composition, how to use the gear, and how to find light) or care to learn how to post process... it’s pretty much worthless. Likewise, even if your equipment isn’t top notch, you can still accomplish wonderful things, as long as you know what it is capable of.

With that said, I have two bodies. 5dm3 full frame. And 70d cropper. I have four lenses and use them all equally.
      07-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #52
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You can spend all your money in professional equipment, but if you don’t have the skill to use it (including your eye - composition, how to use the gear, and how to find light) or care to learn how to post process... it’s pretty much worthless. Likewise, even if your equipment isn’t top notch, you can still accomplish wonderful things, as long as you know what it is capable of.

With that said, I have two bodies. 5dm3 full frame. And 70d cropper. I have four lenses and use them all equally.
Maybe I'll be more specific then: there is some nice depth-of-field that you accomplished. Was merely wondering if that was through a lens you used or done through post processing? I am referring to the photo where you look at the Golf from behind.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #53
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Maybe I'll be more specific then: there is some nice depth-of-field that you accomplished. Was merely wondering if that was through a lens you used or done through post processing? I am referring to the photo where you look at the Golf from behind.
Haha ok gotcha. Thx

Not sure which image. But click it, then click the three dots, view exif. Or LMK which image exactly.

Cheers
      07-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #54
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Haha ok gotcha. Thx

Not sure which image. But click it, then click the three dots, view exif. Or LMK which image exactly.

Cheers
Aha, found it. It was the 50mm f/1.2L. Thanks!
Appreciate 0