E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Jet Black or Black Sapphire

Closed Thread

09-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Black Sapphire Metallic!

xLine with Menzerna Powerlock 2X and Einszett Glanz Wax 1X
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #24
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Black Sapphire Metallic!

xLine with Menzerna Powerlock 2X and Einszett Glanz Wax 1X

That looks nice but that's nowhere near black as you all can see. I am not saying it's a bad color, but it's not a color for someone who just wants a black vehicle. It actually looks a lot similar to graphite metallic.
I actually wish BMW offered matte black, just pure black with no clear coat or some sort of matte clear coat, not like frozen, though, that thing would be a nightmare to wash.
      09-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #25
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
That looks nice but that's nowhere near black as you all can see. I am not saying it's a bad color, but it's not a color for someone who just wants a black vehicle. It actually looks a lot similar to graphite metallic.
I actually wish BMW offered matte black, just pure black with no clear coat or some sort of matte clear coat, not like frozen, though, that thing would be a nightmare to wash.
I like having the option to look both as my second favorite color is graphite black.

Jet Black will be a bit of work to take care in terms of detailing and being swirl-free, but it is a beaut

Black Sapphire Metallic is something else though...http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=934245
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #26
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like having the option to look both as my second favorite color is graphite black.

Jet Black will be a bit of work to take care in terms of detailing and being swirl-free, but it is a beaut

Black Sapphire Metallic is something else though...http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=934245
Thanks OG but those BSM pictures are altered, I have seen BSM and DGM in person on F15, under direct sun and BSM doesn't look like that in person. I am sure they must have done something on that and the showroom lighting adds a lot. I think those pictures are HDR, because areas where they should be in shadow or shade looks too bright like bottom bumper trims, etc.. I agree it is a great color but you can also see in one of those shots it's got too much "pixie dust".

I was able to show my wife a blue x-Line she actually liked it, she also liked the way space gray looks, but I think we'll still go with jet black.
      09-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #27
2jzn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT

i have both.. i'd take jet black over bsm all day.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #28
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Hard to tell in pics, but in person, it's very noticeable as SB has metal flake and JB is solid.
^This.

I owned JB at the same time my dad own BSM and it's a toss up. JB looks amazing when polished and clean, but BSM doesn't show as many swirls and is a bit easier to live with.

Either way, I've sworn off black cars for the rest of my life.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #29
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

Like both but I feel that Jet Black would be a nightmare to maintain
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #30
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OG13, "Maintain" do you guys really keep your vehicle spotless on a day to day basis, because anything but Grays/Silvers/Browns are about the same, I feel black just shows a bit more than others, but any color a day after it's washed starts showing the dirt. I was told Deep Sea Blue is one of the harder ones to maintain, and honestly I couldn't be happy with it. Even when dusty it shines like crazy, I do keep up with the cleaning but I don't get it washed any more frequently than any other cars I owned, maybe 7-10 days.

When people complain about jet black, are we talking about those who keep their bimmer spotless on a day to day basis, or are we talking about regular daily drivers? I think getting a true black vehicle is part of the deal and pay off for showing dust/swirls.
      09-23-2014, 12:02 AM   #31
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I don't know way people spend so much time on cleaning their cars. My new graphite black BM gets cleaned once a month or maybe twice if it's lucky. I had a white BM before this one and their is no difference in cleaning. My Carbon Black Z4 was easy to keep clean.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:49 AM   #32
CarPassion
United_States
Rep
Drives: new

I support the most of people here and advice go JB too.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #33
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

JB when it is clean and swirl free. BSM for daily driving might be a better choice. I owned JB for 6 years and never going to get it again! Too much work and hassle! Good luck
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 12:42 AM   #34
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
JB when it is clean and swirl free. BSM for daily driving might be a better choice. I owned JB for 6 years and never going to get it again! Too much work and hassle! Good luck
Any quick pointers on how to keep it swirl free? Should I get compression washer for the garage and keep washing it with that?
      09-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #35
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Any quick pointers on how to keep it swirl free? Should I get compression washer for the garage and keep washing it with that?
There's nothing you can do to completely prevent swirls as they are likely to happen. However on a black car they will be more visible.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #36
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hey Golden, any instance that you touch the paint whether by microfiber or just driving it will be susceptible to imperfections like marring or swirls.

I only wash the vehicle once a month, or after a road trip, even with two-bucket method it is hard to be swirl-free, just part of owning a vehicle

On Jet Black, it is plain annoying if you are OCD about scratches and swirls (I am)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #37
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
On Jet Black, it is plain annoying if you are OCD about scratches and swirls (I am)
Key point.

If you don't get bird crap or any other substance out of the way and the sun hits the car just for 30 seconds. You just got a mother nature installation in your paint. Add swirl marks on top of that and your regretting JB that very instance.

Although I love the car when its clean. Psh, thing is glass.

Warning: Rock chips may be shown in picture below. ty BQE
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #38
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Golden, any instance that you touch the paint whether by microfiber or just driving it will be susceptible to imperfections like marring or swirls.

I only wash the vehicle once a month, or after a road trip, even with two-bucket method it is hard to be swirl-free, just part of owning a vehicle

I thought swirls were caused by bad applicationof wax (hazy swirl) and car wash brushes (fine scratches that give the illusion of swirl/round where light shines) How do you get them with two bucket method, is it the sponge that you use? Or you don't even use sponge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.335 View Post
Key point.

If you don't get bird crap or any other substance out of the way and the sun hits the car just for 30 seconds. You just got a mother nature installation in your paint. Add swirl marks on top of that and your regretting JB that very instance.

Although I love the car when its clean. Psh, thing is glass.

Warning: Rock chips may be shown in picture below. ty BQE
This is why I love JB.
Not just BQE, the highways in NYC are just crap, plain old crap, regardless of where you drive, you will get rock, and all sort of sh*t messing with your paint. It should not as bad on F15 with it's blunt nose and high hood, but yes we will still get hit with random stuff on a daily basis.

Also, in this thread, suggestion to get opticoat was made, what do you think?
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1039003
      09-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #39
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
if u see them side by side you'll notice JB reflections are black and more mirror and BSM reflections are white or other color. close up then you'll see a bit of sparkle.

i do think that jb will show more swirl
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #40
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Hard to tell in pics, but in person, it's very noticeable as SB has metal flake and JB is solid. I've owned JB and love it. I passed on a SB M Coupe because I just don't like SB, I really wish they'd offer JB as a choice on all cars.
I have a jet black E90 and wifey has sapphire E70...,when clean the E90 is much nicer looking...when dirty the E70 masks it well....I wash mine much more than hers....lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #41
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I decided to get Jet Black, here is my final build that I just ordered:

2015 X5 xDrive
xLine
Jet Black
Ivory White and Black Dakota Leather
Poplar Wood Trim
Cold Weather Package
• Heated rear seats/Retractable headlight washers/Heated Steering Wheel
Driver Assistance Package
• Rear view camera/Head-up Display
Driver Assistance Plus
• Active Driving Assistant/Active Blind Spot Detection/Surround View/Speed Limit Info
Lighting Package
• Adaptive Full LED Lights / Automatic high beams
Premium Package
• Comfort Access keyless entry/Satellite radio with 1 year subscription/4-zone automatic climate control/Leather Seats

Rear manual side window shades
Soft-close automatic doors
Harman Kardon surround sound system

I need to join a support group now, like Jet Blacks Anonymous because I know I'll be going nuts trying to keep this clean.
Out of 82 votes in this thread (http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/pol...ts&pollid=7778) not a single jet black. I'll be damned if they think it's inferior to any other black. They should be charging more for Jet Black, in my opinion because it's so damn good looking.
      10-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #42
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Is that Oysterbay BMW's lot in the photos?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #43
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Is that Oysterbay BMW's lot in the photos?

How did you know?
      06-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #44
waccamatt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e M Sport Black Sapphi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Thanks for the info, when I looked at them with a tiny coat of dust, it's impossible to tell, like you said swirl marks will be visible IF you keep it super clean after a year or so, so if you don't then they are the same. But who keeps their bimmer dirty for long, right?

At the dealer, SA had to go and wipe both cars before he could tell which was which. Dust made the jet black look like sapphire. So sapphire is just a dusty jet black with dust in from of glitter embedded, and it looks absolutely gorgeous in the showroom with all those lights and they probably dust that baby every day and wipe off fingerprints. I can't imagine it how great it would look on a sunny day.

I guess next best thing is dark graphite. Like an old black.
I just bought a Sapphire Black 530 E; it was high on my list for the interior accoutrements, but I was hoping for a Mediterranean or Graphite Blue exterior. You, however, have gotten me excited to see my new baby in person for the first time on Saturday!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread