E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > My Review: FUSION® PROGLIDE® POWER RAZOR W/ FLEXBALL TECHNOLOGY

09-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up My Review: FUSION® PROGLIDE® POWER RAZOR W/ FLEXBALL TECHNOLOGY

WOW...

So I have been shaving since I was 17 (over 2 decades ago) and I have tried damn near EVERYTHING out there! Including the famed "Dollar Shave Club: Dorco brand razors". Those were either too sharp or the design just didn't work for me and caused irritation.

I am here to say that without question, that this new Gillette is the absolute best shave I have ever had besides going to a barber!
I had already been using the Power Fusion and find they work best for me. I shave @ every other day (could shave everyday but don't) have sensitive skin and thick hair. By admission, I thought this was a 'gimmick'. But I went ahead and bought the razor. What an amazingly close but comfortable and effortless shave with zero irritation! All I can say... The shit just works.

http://gillette.com/en-us/products/r...-with-flexball
Quote:
The Fusion ProGlide Power razor with New FlexBall Technology makes maximum contact* over contours and gets virtually every hair. Our best blades are now 2X preferred when used with FlexBall Technology (overall preference vs. former ProGlide, among ProGlide users). Features include 5 thinner, finer blades** for less tug and pull, * along with a precision trimmer on back for accurate edging. All Fusion razor blades fit all Fusion handles. It’s Gillette's #1 razor on sensitive skin.
      09-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I just upgraded from Sensor Excel to Mach 3 a few weeks ago.

#gamechanger
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I just upgraded from Sensor Excel to Mach 3 a few weeks ago.

#gamechanger
hahahahahaha!!! I remember both of those... in the mid-90s..
      09-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

09-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
hahahahahaha!!! I remember both of those... in the mid-90s..
I actually have had the Sensor Excel since I was 16. Forgot it at home when I was travelling a few weeks ago, and had to buy another razor in a pinch. And finally at 34, I upgraded.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

I always preferred the Fusion but I've been using this for the past 18 months.

Takes a little more time but it's so much easier on my skin and way cheaper than disposable cartridges.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I actually have had the Sensor Excel since I was 16. Forgot it at home when I was travelling a few weeks ago, and had to buy another razor in a pinch. And finally at 34, I upgraded.
You know... The original Sensor was a "game changer" when it was released! I used it even as the trend of 3 and 4 blades came out.
Question... Has anyone had success with Schick? No matter what they bring and when I try, I end up trashing it due to poor shaves.
      09-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post

Takes a little more time but it's so much easier on my skin and way cheaper than disposable cartridges.
I love this thing! I've got the Flexball as well which is good for a quick and dirty shave when I'm running late in the morning but when I have time or I am about to go out I use a similar razor that my brother bought for me as a gift. Gets such a nice close cut but you definitely have to be patient and take your time. High initial investment but quickly pays for itself since the blades are so damn cheap.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Give it a week and you might change your mind. I'm back to waiting 3-5 days between shaves since the first couple were great, then it was back to the same old grind. I still can't get that one hollow spot on each side of my adam's apple smooth, no matter what direction I try.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My middle son (28) called last week to ask permission to send the baby (15) a fancy razor for his birthday. He remembers seeing my dad's all these years and bought himself one.

I remember being 13-14 in the basement of grandpa's house, and grandpa telling my dad to get me one, not disposables, so I could "learn to bleed like the rest of us do"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:

Thinking about getting a Merkur or Parker. Blades are dirt cheap too. Not sure I have the patience for it though.
      09-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Give it a week and you might change your mind. I'm back to waiting 3-5 days between shaves since the first couple were great, then it was back to the same old grind. I still can't get that one hollow spot on each side of my adam's apple smooth, no matter what direction I try.
Oh I've been using it for a few weeks. So I can honestly say I waited before posting this. I am sold.
      09-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Question... Has anyone had success with Schick? No matter what they bring and when I try, I end up trashing it due to poor shaves.
Same. Schick doesn't nearly give a comparably close shave as with the Fusion Proglide w/ Flexball, and it cuts the living hell out of my skin.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Pull your skin to one side and shave it that way haha! That's what I do.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

So, txstyle, how long have you been working for Gillette?

Seriously, I've tried the various gimmicks, such as the "power" vibrating razors, which did seem to reduce irritation, but didnt produce a cleaner/closer shave.

Honestly, the biggest single thing I've found, after years of trial and error (mostly error) is to shave at the end of your shower. Get a small, fog-resistant mirror, and shave while the water is still running, and your skin is saturated with moisture, the shower stall is still full of moist steamy air. Doing it at the end of the shower is better than the beginning, your skin has more time to soften up, or whatever the hell is happening there. Not sure exactly what the explanation is, but it really works for me.

I've found that by doing that, I can use the cheapest, gimmick-free razors out there, and I get a better shave with FAR less irritation or redness than any of the fanciest, most expensive razors out there, especially around the neck. To be fair, I havent tried the new flexball yet, but I cant imagine it being better than what I do now, especially considering the price difference.
      09-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #16
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
I'll admit - Gillette makes great product. I had a Mach3 (actually still do) and a Fusion.

But, in a world where you you've been at the same job for 17 years, and married to the same girl for 18 years, coaching the same hockey teams, with the same monotonous day in and day out activities...the term "close enough" can describe more things than just your shave.

And while you're still pushing the button on your Edge Gel shave cream getting that dollop on your fingertips - I'm done.

Welcome to my last 18 months of pure and utter laziness.
      09-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Bought a couple of expensive electric shavers and they all died on me days after the warranty expired. I just gave up on them. I remember when you bought something of "quality" and it lasts for several years.
      09-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
Bought a couple of expensive electric shavers and they all died on me days after the warranty expired. I just gave up on them. I remember when you bought something of "quality" and it lasts for several years.
Although I have recently switched back to regular blades, I had been using an electric shaver for years. I have a Braun and I've had it for at least 8+ years and in that time I've only changed the blades and screen once and that was maybe 2 years ago. Still runs perfectly, holds a charge when I went on trips. It was a bit pricey when I bought it but totally worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #19
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

I have a expensive top of the line Panasonic electric razor. I need to just put it on eBay.
I've been shaving for well over 20yrs so trust me, I've had my fair share of everything on the market. Just sharing my experience. But whatever works for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc
Quote:

Thinking about getting a Merkur or Parker. Blades are dirt cheap too. Not sure I have the patience for it though.
I've used a Parker and a Merkur. I'm using a Merkur Futur now with Personna Med Prep blades. Perfect. Multi blade razors are silly, unless you need to carry on, then they're sort of a necessary evil.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #21
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
I'll admit - Gillette makes great product. I had a Mach3 (actually still do) and a Fusion.

But, in a world where you you've been at the same job for 17 years, and married to the same girl for 18 years, coaching the same hockey teams, with the same monotonous day in and day out activities...the term "close enough" can describe more things than just your shave.

And while you're still pushing the button on your Edge Gel shave cream getting that dollop on your fingertips - I'm done.

I'm with you. I'm down to shaving twice a week and i do it with bare clippers. Leaves about a 5 o'clock shadow and i let it go for a few days then do it again. To hell with paying $20 for 4 replacement blades.
      09-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #22
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Being a PRIME member over on Amazon, I'm always on the lookout for great deals over there: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Grab it for $5 with instant coupon! Now you can definitely try this bad boy out!

Now it is a 'add-on' item and you need a total $25 purchase to get the special pricing but a great deal for sure.
I paid $12 for it if I recall.