E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Battery registration via Autologic tool concern

09-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
$exy_Dirty
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Battery registration via Autologic tool concern

Hello Folks,

I got my battery registered today at local bmw indy shop. Nice guy did the registration process for me, however, I want to make sure that it was done right and my battery was actually registered.

I watched him do the registration and Im concerned because there was no conformation that it was registered/programed or anything. He did not input the actual AH and CCA of new battery. Factory battery was 80ah 640cca new battery was 61217586962 Exide 90ah 720cca.

See the pic below when he was in registration battery replacement screen:

2 option to choose from:
Enter the battery replacement same capacity [select]
Enter battery replacement higher/lower capacity [select] he selected this one.

Next screen was this in pic 2: shows my miles, did not ask to enter the new battery specs. He hits ok and says its done, hits OK. Not sure how to interpret the note* message on the screen.

Im no tech expert but it says that current registered battery is 80ah, does this mean that it was NOT registered to my new 90ah battery? Or am I missing something here?

Anyone with Autologic experience if you can shed some light here so I know if I need to go back to that place and have them re-register it if its not done right, he assured me it was...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
$exy_Dirty
Rep

Few things to add... this guy has been working as a tech at this shop for only 3 months... he said that when you select Enter battery replacement higher/lower capacity option it automatically detects your new battery specs.

I found his statement to be odd, because I read few threads where people were having a hard time and not able to register their aftermarket battery to the exact spec because it was not one of the options to choose from like 70ah 80ah 90ah 90ah AGM etc.... or is this tool really that good that it determines the new specs of battery automatically?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Autologous is very good software. It does say that if capacity has changed it will only be detected correctly after a terminal change.

I wouldn't worry. If you are concerned run ncs-expert and simply check the coding. Recode if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:05 AM   #4
$exy_Dirty
Rep

What is a terminal change? I dont know anything about coding and have no knowledge of ncs-expert.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by $exy_Dirty
What is a terminal change? I dont know anything about coding and have no knowledge of ncs-expert.

Thanks
I have never used autologic but I'd hazard a guess that it needs to be disconnected and reconnected then it would display the correct battery capacity.

I did think it would give you the option to manually select the capacity when changing.

Basically when changing battery to higher lower capacity it is done in two stages:

1. Battery registration
2. Coding correct capacity
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
$exy_Dirty
Rep

I spent few hours online trying to locate an instructions on how to register battery via autologic and was not able to find anything.

If I saw the tech input the ah and cca of new battery I would feel at rest, however, now it bothers me because I dont think my battery reg is complete. I want someone to assure me that Im correct or wrong by providing documentation or personal experience with this tool.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 02:08 AM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

In which case you need to find someone who has an autologic kit. Its a professional tool that retails at around £3000 so not many people have them.

Luckily for you I believe the user: 'old grey steve' who is a well regarded BMW Indy uses autologic. Send him a PM. He usually monitors the UK Technical section here.

You could always get a cheap coding cable and check it yourself though
Appreciate 0