E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > The first Cayman GTS

05-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #23
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Want.
      05-29-2014, 10:48 PM   #24
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Agreed.

Agreed. Porsches are so overrated, overhyped, and overpriced. I too drove a Cayman, a 987.1 base with Tiptronic. It was a nice car I admit. but not really anything jaw dropping or electrifying. And given the price they command, I don't get all the hype. I'd rather have a Vette than a Cayman, or even a 911 any day.
There is your problem, you drove a sh*t base Cayman with one of worse automanuals around. Don't blame you for not liking it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #25
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

To enjoy a Cayman, you have to be able to push it. My sales associate took me to a very nice curvy road. It let me understand what the Cayman is all about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #26
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
To enjoy a Cayman, you have to be able to push it. My sales associate took me to a very nice curvy road. It let me understand what the Cayman is all about.

+1

And therefore;

So, I have made my decision........

I' m ordering a Safire Blue Metallic Cayman GTS, and I`ll keep the the 1M.

All the driver goodies in it, PSAM, SCP, PTV, PDLS, PDK,Sports exhaust, PCCB, 20" Carrera Classic, Nav/Telephone stuff.

It was a hard decision for I had an E46 M3, E92 M3 and now a E82 1M (this car will be a keeper) and I had high expectatations over the F82 M4.
But IMHO it has outgrown it self, too big, too stretched, it has a certain puffy look over it like Jabba the Hut (no offense ) It lacks the outside sportiness IMHO that used to be typical M3 territory.

There is no doubt what so ever, the M3-4 are absolutely (very) fast cars, surplus on HP and Nm, and will kill a Cayman GTS straight line speed easy.

What the 1M has thought me; small, nimble and agile cars will do the job for me, so the Cayman will fit perfectly, and I will have the best of two worlds. A 2 seater PDK sportscar with a brilliant NA 6 boxer engine, an a 4 seater manual with a brilliant 6 IL TT engine.

In 2 or 3 years I,ll take on the coming M2, for now I`m enjoying these 2 cars !
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #27
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
+1

And therefore;

So, I have made my decision........

I' m ordering a Safire Blue Metallic Cayman GTS, and I`ll keep the the 1M.

All the driver goodies in it, PSAM, SCP, PTV, PDLS, PDK,Sports exhaust, PCCB, 20" Carrera Classic, Nav/Telephone stuff.

It was a hard decision for I had an E46 M3, E92 M3 and now a E82 1M (this car will be a keeper) and I had high expectatations over the F82 M4.
But IMHO it has outgrown it self, too big, too stretched, it has a certain puffy look over it like Jabba the Hut (no offense ) It lacks the outside sportiness IMHO that used to be typical M3 territory.

There is no doubt what so ever, the M3-4 are absolutely (very) fast cars, surplus on HP and Nm, and will kill a Cayman GTS straight line speed easy.

What the 1M has thought me; small, nimble and agile cars will do the job for me, so the Cayman will fit perfectly, and I will have the best of two worlds. A 2 seater PDK sportscar with a brilliant NA 6 boxer engine, an a 4 seater manual with a brilliant 6 IL TT engine.

In 2 or 3 years I,ll take on the coming M2, for now I`m enjoying these 2 cars !
Enjoy in good health. You may even jump into the Cayman GT4/R in three years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #28
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

BMW is my first European/German car and I love it. When doing research I did build and price a Porsche back when I was car shopping back in December 2013/January 2014 time frame. I knew companies like BMW and Audi love to nickle and dime you over options...then I hopped over to Porsche's website.

Never did I think it possible to be overwhelmed when trying to do something as simple as build and price a car. Porsche makes BMW and Audi look like the Japanese automakers when it comes to the simplicity of its options and packages.

I mean for that Cayman, it's $3k for memory and adjustable seats. Seriously?

I'd love to own a 911 ideally someday as they have a timeless look to them...I just need to take a graduate level course on how to make sense of the options list first.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #29
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

With no trade in for me, good negotiations were possible

I can assure you, I made an outstanding deal !

A Cayman GTS has very good base options, few things I had to add on the list! A Cayman S with all these goodies will do at least €10K more
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #30
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post

Agreed. Porsches are so overrated, overhyped, and overpriced. I too drove a Cayman, a 987.1 base with Tiptronic. It was a nice car I admit. but not really anything jaw dropping or electrifying. And given the price they command, I don't get all the hype. I'd rather have a Vette than a Cayman, or even a 911 any day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
By that measure all Mercedes, BMW and Audi also are overrated, overhyped and overpriced. And so is Ferrari and Rolls Royce. Maserati, Aston Martin and Bentley is just sh*t.
This. You just described what all German marques are to the mass majority.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #31
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
not a gts but i just picked up a cayman S and it's one of the most fun cars i've ever driven. i'm truly amazed.
      05-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #32
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
not a gts but i just picked up a cayman S and it's one of the most fun cars i've ever driven. i'm truly amazed.
congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #33
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

[QUOTE=gtron;16048746]not a gts but i just picked up a cayman S and it's one of the most fun cars i've ever driven. i'm truly amazed.[/QUOTE

My CS is the most fun car I've ever driven. While I lack an intangible attachment to the car that I had for my Z4C, there is no question it makes me want to get out and drive like no other car I've experienced.

I am currently in contemplation of giving up some of that driving fun in order to gain back some of that intangible attachment and "just want it" feeling in the form of a Vantage GT.

There's no easy answer there.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #34
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo
With no trade in for me, good negotiations were possible

I can assure you, I made an outstanding deal !

A Cayman GTS has very good base options, few things I had to add on the list! A Cayman S with all these goodies will do at least €10K more
Congrats! When are you getting it delivered?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #35
CompressionFed
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Wow congrats on your purchase...I'd love to hear your impressions on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #36
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
Congrats! When are you getting it delivered?

Cayman GTS on order, ETA 2nd-3th week of august
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #37
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompressionFed View Post
Wow congrats on your purchase...I'd love to hear your impressions on the car.

Will post my impressions ASAP
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #38
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Just look at this, the comment from Steve Sutcliffe speaks for itself .......

No further explanation necessary ........

This kind of enthusiasm is exactly what I`m missing in current M3-M4 reviews, not that car-choises are being made on comments told by test drivers, far from it.
Lets put it this way, there where times when M3 reviews provoked this kind of enthusiasm, but not anymore IMHO, good reviews yes, but not overwhelmingly or exceptional ones, like there used to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #39
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

and 1st spot;

http://www.autogespot.nl/porsche-cay...014/06/17#img1

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #40
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #41
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
What's happened is that BMW has gotten so focused on volume sales that they've forgotten how to engineer a purist's sports car that's accessible to people who can't spend 6 figures on a car.
I've been saying this exact thing for a while now. The new BMWs are very soft and not focused enough. They're forgetting their roots. The new S4 vs. 335 vs. any of the other mid-sized cars is seeing BMW losing comparisons due to being too sluggish and not as sharp as they used to be. Hell, the Cadillac ATS benchmarked the e46 M3 when they were developing their chassis!

It's hard to argue with what BMW is doing because their sales and better than ever. The problem is, they're now appeasing the masses rather than the enthusiasts.

Weights have continued to creep up (save the new M3/4), suspensions have gone soft and the overall look is not as unique as it used to be.

The 1M was a huge hit with enthusiasts since it really went back to it's roots and brought driving to the forefront rather than all the techno gizmos. In the end, we want to be involved in the drive (such as Steve with the manual gearbox in the GTS). I am praying that BMW does the same thing with the M2. Let the M3/4 be the "luxury" version of the M model like the M5/6 and let the real enthusiasts get on with it in the M2. Based on Audi's new A3 Quattro Clubsport, I'd say they are really aiming squarely at the heart of the driving enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #42
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

^ That is the main reason I`ll keep the 1M!

With the Cayman GTS on order it will be best of two worlds IMHO.

As much as I like the M3/4, they have grow too big for my liking, off course great cars, fast as hell, no doubts what so ever. It is just not what I`m looking for in a car, my previous E92 M3 made that perfectly, yet painfully, clear! The minute I drove the 1M it just all came together, the small yet muscular size, its nimbleness and agility, it was and is miles ahead of an E92 M3 in that respect.

So, no more big sized cars for me, an M2 will be a possible successor, will see about that when it arrives 2016.
Appreciate 0