E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Washington DC Trip

04-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
web99992002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Washington DC Trip

We will be in Washington DC (georgetown area) from April 10 - 14. Based on our itinerary.. we won't have anything to do on April 13. We're planning to spend that day on another state (virginia or maryland). What places are "must see" in these 2 states that's near D.C. so we can easily get back to our hotel because flight back to LA will be april 14 morning.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Truthfully not much right around the DC area not to mention you don't want to be wandering these areas unless you well armed. Baltimore has the inner harbor area and annaplois downtown is not to bad with good food.
      04-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Not exactly "must see" but in VA old town Alexandria is a nice place for a walk/dinner. Courthouse in Arlington is a newly developed area good for a dinner. Skip National Harbor in MD - really nothing to see there despite all advertising.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

If you want to do some shopping, you can check out Bathesda. It has almost every high end store you can think of. I don't know if I would spend an entire day there but it's cool to walk around for a little while
      04-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDM68
Truthfully not much right around the DC area not to mention you don't want to be wandering these areas unless you well armed. Baltimore has the inner harbor area and annaplois downtown is not to bad with good food.
da fuqqq? Not all of DC is ghetto... NoVA has like 5 of the top 10 richest counties in America or something.

There's lots to do around DC metro. Depends what you're already planning and what you like to do.

National Air & Space museum by Dulles airport is awesome but ~45 min drive from Georgetown.

Tyson's Corner or Pentagon City for shopping. Old Town Alexandria for shops/dining. Clarendon for bars/dining.

Obviously all the other museums around DC.
      04-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I'm at Johns Hopkins, in Baltimore MD... I must say if you are in DC, other than some of the monuments and memorials there really isn't much in Baltimore that you won't see in DC. The Inner Harbor in Baltimore is nice has some nice sites/good restaurants, but Downtown DC is nicer...

Can't comment on Virginia.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
BFD99
The Stig!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
The Georgetown area, and if you are looking to drink, i'd suggest georgetown or the dupont circle area bars, they are quite fun. Also arlington area is fun, a place called Spider Kelley's is a fun place, a good place to eat is Wilson's on Whitlow in arlington.
      04-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDM68 View Post

Right, carry a gun in DC and see what happens

Northern Virginia, such as Fairfax County, McLean, Vienna, Louden County, and north Arlington are some of the wealthiest places in the area.

There is plenty to do. Depends on what the OP is into. For example, out by Dulles is the Air & Space Museum Annex, the Udvar Hazy Center where they house the SR-71 Blackbird, Space Shuttle, U2, and a collection of neat aircraft.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

April 13th is a Friday.

Georgetown itself is going to be full of people Friday night. There are bars & restaurants everywhere on M street & Wisconsin Ave. You can even go down to the riverfront (like a block away) and drink/eat at the restaurants off the Potomac river. Now that its warmer, there should be a ton of people there.

You can have a lot of fun in Georgetown without going anywhere else. Dupont/midtown area (intersection of 18th & Connecticut) has a lot of bars/clubs as well. That's also a packed part of town and is still close enough to Georgetown with a short cab ride (like 3 miles).

Old town Alexandria is a great chill spot with lots of restaurants and is a very pretty area. It's great at night or during the day. It's near the water as well so it has has plenty of restaurants off the water.

Tysons Corner & Pentagon City are pretty much great places if you want to go shopping, but outside of that, I wouldn't waste too much time there. Tysons Galleria is the most expensive mall I've ever been too. I feel poor everytime I go there, but is definitely something to experience if you like clothing. Its the only mall that has Ferrari's and lambos in it for show vs toyota & fords that I've seen.
Appreciate 0