E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > How is Volvo possibly still in business?

12-08-2023, 09:26 PM   #89
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

It really depends on what model and engine/gearbox etc you get that determines whether or not your volvo (or any car really) is reliable.
I drive a 2012 XC70, had it from new. it has almost 200k miles on it (300k km).
It's the 5cyl diesel with manual gearbox. It's just FWD. I never go off road and there's no snow to speak of where I live.
Things that went wrong in it's life:
Map sensor on the intercooler. Bought the OEM bosch part in the aftermarket. Cost me $40.
Turbohose from downpipe to intercooler. Bought a gates one. Cost me like $70.
Thats it. So 200k miles cost me $110 in parts. I dare anyone to beat that!

Maintenance is also really cheap. It only requires an oil interval every 18k miles (30k km).
Oil and all filters cost me maybe $100 every interval (I do everything myself).
Did the brakes at around 100k miles (preventive, no wear sensors were lit), costs around $300 in parts (OEM parts in the aftermarket) and did the timing belt at 180k miles ($150 kit).
So this car is I think one of the most reliable and cheapest car to run.
I'm also still on my 1st battery...10+ years with a car battery on a diesel (high compression compared to gas)...insane. (but here it rarely freezes, maybe 10-20 days per year)

I also don't get why people think why chinese ownership is bad. The chinese don't buy volvo to tell them how to make cars. They buy volvo to learn how to make cars.

Worst scenario is when an american company buys a car brand. Look at what happened at Saab. Completely ruined by GM.
And Volvo suffered also major problems under Ford ownership. Ford build great suspension platforms (previous gen V70/XC70 is basically a mondeo), but all the gasoline versions of that time with automatics got that horrible Ford Speedshift dual clutch unit.
Dozens of shops specialize in only swapping/repairing those horrible gearboxes. It's not a matter of 'if' it's gonna break, but 'when'.
Luckily the 5cyl diesels got the normal reliable aisin slushbox. (not great but at least it's reliable)

So with any car, research what you buy. Like don't buy a BMW with N47

As far as ride quality...it's adjusted for the comfy side. So no it doesn't corner like a 5 series. It also doesn't cost like a 5 series, especially all the options etc. The interior holds up pretty nicely though in my car, so it's not bad quality. The seats aren't super bolstered or so, like m3 seats etc. They don't need to, as volvo's don't corner like one. However, they do feel like your favorite cumfy armchair in front of the TV...
After a long journey, you get out feeling really fit. My commute is frequently 2 hours or more when I go out to a customer, so arriving fit to work 8 hours or sometimes more on location (so that's a 12+hour workday) is important (I don't have an office job, it's hands on work)

As far as revenue and car sales goes....Volvo is doing better than ever atm. So I don't know why some think volvo is doing bad...Just misinformation I guess...
They have twice the number of employees they had 10 years ago, and 17(!) times the profit they had 10 years ago ((2011-2014 was a really bad time for volvo, but not as bad as the US car industry had....)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 12-09-2023 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 5
Clark_Kent2227.50
P111572.00
Cos270608.50
      12-10-2023, 05:52 PM   #90
RobotDoctor
Professional Nomad
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i F36 Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyB48 View Post
My 2013 S60 was the worst car ever. I had the FWD version and it was horrible. It felt like a cheap bottom-barrel economy car, yet it cost more to maintain than a BMW or Audi and started falling apart after 5 years or so.
That’s unfortunate. Yours must have been a lemon because I had the 2012 S60 T5 (FWD) and had no issues whatsoever in maintenance. Costs were pretty low until my 115,000 mile major maintenance. This was around $2,200 to replace timing belt and several critical items. Overall not excessive. The car performed fine with adequate power and agility. The S60 had outstanding seats and were really comfortable and supportive. That said I might have been really lucky since my S60 was reliable for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 09:44 PM   #91
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

We had a '99 S80 T6. Still the most comfortable car I ever owned. Those seats were just magic. Drove the snot out of it until we sold it to a friend who used it for private taxi service.

We still have '96 850R that's in immaculate condition. Never selling!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 10:12 PM   #92
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Not a long term fan by any means, but purchased the wifey a 2022 XC40 Recharge in December of 2021 and it’s been fantastic. Build quality is great as is the ride. As a full EV it’s been everything we were looking for. Service has been on par with my M4. We may be in the minority but are fans.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 1
P111572.00