E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Gas Prices

04-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
Gas Prices

Ok I may be the only on in here, but I fucking sick and tired of hearing people bitch about gas prices. Yes I dont like paying $4 a gallon for gas any more then the next guy, but at the same time I thought out my auto purchase where I bought a car that gets 20mpg around town and almost 30mpg on the freeway. All these idots that bought big lifted trucks and huge inefficient SUVs because they look cool are finally feeling the bite. Europe has paid substantially higher gas prices the us Americans. Currently its about $10 a gallon in the UK, what makes us think our shit doesnt stink and that we can consume our natural resources with out having to pay what everyone else does? Why are people bitching at our government saying they need to do something about fuel prices? Wake up people they are! we are not paying $10 a gallon like our UK brothers! I think the gas price increase is for the better. It will force people to be smart, not buy big cars that get shit gas mileage "just because" , and maybe the auto manufactures will start bringing over some of the bad ass cars Europe gets and we dont.

For anyone that says a SUV is a must I have this to say to you .... your Chevy Taho can be eaily replaced with a Mini van (if you need to haul people around) or a Wagon (that can actually look good like a A4 Avant or A6 Avant) or a cross over suv such as the Nissan Murano that gets the same gas milage as our 335i.

Sorry had to rant
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

+12345678910 to everything you said.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
**** the UK brothers, with all due respect, but our soldiers are dying for oil all over the place everyday. we deserve the cheap oil, not the fucking ******** europeans. ur mad at the wrong people bro. ur mad at the victims coz they're complaining.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
**** the UK brothers, with all due respect, but our soldiers are dying for oil all over the place everyday. we deserve the cheap oil, not the fucking ******** europeans. ur mad at the wrong people bro. ur mad at the victims coz they're complaining.
Our UK brothers are serving with us in Afghanistan and Iraq...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No Im not mad at the wrong people. Im sick and tired of our American ignorance. Show me one other place in the world where everyone thinks they need a big ass SUV? why should we be allowed to piss away natural resources? Why is it that Europe is 10x more efficient then us in everything when it comes to energy?

I didnt vote for the war, I know our guys are over there dying for oil. How ever controls the oil has the power. Its simple economics, anyone well versed in economics and geology will under stand the supply and demand and how oil is running out and running out FAST. Fuel is the least of concerns when it comes to oil as oil is used in everything around us: plastic, lubricants, roads, ect.

Who Im bitching at are all the people that are clueless.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

In other words: f*ck SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
In other words: f*ck SUVs.
not so much .... if you really need one (which is very few people do) then great go ahead and buy one. Just like if you need a F350 to pull your huge 28ft+ boat to the lake, then so be it. No car will ever do that, but just understand that thats a "luxury" and that with luxuries you have to pay to play, and don't bitch about about it because gas isn't $2 a gallon. Its not governments job to make your luxuries cheaper for you, there are a lot more things that can be done with our tax dollars, like helping over zealous Americans fix the mortgage crisis thats even hurting us Americans who didnt play the get rich quick game.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Ya that was a semi-sarcastic statement.

We need a sarcasm smiley, this doesn't cut it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
I don't often wade into this debate...but when I read this, I just had to. This is the most ignorant comment I have ever come across. Soldiers are dying because of the arrogance and ignorance that started a war that should have never been started to begin with. And then you have the gall to say that you deserve cheap oil as result. I have a lot of american friends and co-workers that are great people...but unfortunately there's people like you that give the rest of the world a reason to hate americans.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

I believe most people complain because the prices were cheap before, and once G.dub decides to get in middle east, the prices shoots sky high.

And for people who has SUVs, maybe they need them? for work? for the extra luggage spaces?

They couldn't have foreseen the increase in gas prices when they bought their SUVs. If they sell their SUVs now, they'll lose money from depreciation and they'll need extra money to buy a new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i

thats why I plan to balance out my car with a street bike. about 40-50 mpg on my bike to go to work/school or other times where it's just me by myself, then my car when Im going out with a bunch of friends or something. Good comprimise.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
xT4iw4n3zx
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 09' E90 LCI

Sigh,

I'm kinda sad that such a great nation like the U.S could be taken over and ran by a sac of f*cking idiots (bush, cheney, etc. =/ Obama and Hillary don't look too promising either. Hillary has experience to be a good leader, but man, she can't speak well enough like Obama to unite the people as one whole. Obama speaks great, and he's perfect for bringing people together, but imagine if there was another attack during his office term, what experience does he have to rely on?? Let's just see where the future takes us D=. Btw, I don't hate the U.S., but damn, why are so many of your ignorant towards global issues? Like the guy up above who said "we deserve the oil". Not everyone, but generally that's how you guys come across to the outside countries... I dunno how. =/
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
I believe most people complain because the prices were cheap before, and once G.dub decides to get in middle east, the prices shoots sky high.

And for people who has SUVs, maybe they need them? for work? for the extra luggage spaces?

They couldn't have foreseen the increase in gas prices when they bought their SUVs. If they sell their SUVs now, they'll lose money from depreciation and they'll need extra money to buy a new car.
If you need the "space" there are plenty of other vehicles that do the job with out the 15mpg hwy and 10mpg around town. Some perfect examples:

-Chrysler Caravan (Mini Van)
-Audi A4/6 Avant (Wagon)
-Scion XB (compact with lots of luggage *******

There are all types of alternatives. There really is NO Need to be driving a Infinit QX56 around Beverly Hills or Irvine, or Las Vegas. I read recently some staggering fact that its something like 98% of 4x4 are never used in 4 wheel drive mode in the United States. Americans need to get out of the "bigger is better" mentality.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Are you claiming gas prices are lower in the US because oil is sold at a lower price if ends up in the US? The difference in gasoline prices is the result of government actions such as taxes and regulations. US consumers pay less, by and large because the US government taxes it less.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #16
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3This View Post
... There really is NO Need to be driving a Infinit QX56 around Beverly Hills or Irvine, or Las Vegas. I read recently some staggering fact that its something like 98% of 4x4 are never used in 4 wheel drive mode in the United States. Americans need to get out of the "bigger is better" mentality.
And there is a NEED to drive a 300hp 4 seat coupe?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #17
xT4iw4n3zx
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 09' E90 LCI

Oh, here's a fact that EVERYONE should know. I saw this in Nova's program "Car of the Future". You can watch it online on their site here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/car/program.html

Did you know that ONLY LESS THAN 1% OF THE GAS IN THE TANK IS USED to propel the Driver! 8% of the Gas is used to move the car. Close to 90% is lost between the tank and the engine through Heat, Friction, Etc. Doesn't that put a mindset as to how bad a big Gas-Guzzling SUV/Truck is?? They're WORSE!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #18
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xT4iw4n3zx View Post
Sigh,

why are so many of your ignorant towards global issues? Like the guy up above who said "we deserve the oil". Not everyone, but generally that's how you guys come across to the outside countries... I dunno how. =/
I think its 2 things

1) American Marketing - seems like society today makes it our like everyone here deserves everything. Today we are not taught about the dangers of debt and we are pushed to try and have the latest and greatest.

2) Lack of knowledge - The news here only covers domestic issues. Global issues are often left to like 5 min of a hour news cast. Our news is more concerned with what Britney Spears is doing then the decrease in value of the US dollar. Its also a big issue that the majority of America has never traveled to another country. Im amazed at home many people I talk to that have never traveled over seas. I personally think if everyone was forced to vist at least 3 other countries (not in North America) they would be a lot more aware of whats wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #19
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
And there is a NEED to drive a 300hp 4 seat coupe?
you mean 300+ hp sedan

no there isnt ... but Im not bitching about gas prices I think we have it easy and just like in your previous post our government is already doing a ton to keep our fuel prices cheap.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #20
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Quote:
If you need the "space" there are plenty of other vehicles that do the job with out the 15mpg hwy and 10mpg around town. Some perfect examples:

-Chrysler Caravan (Mini Van)
-Audi A4/6 Avant (Wagon)
-Scion XB (compact with lots of luggage *******

There are all types of alternatives. There really is NO Need to be driving a Infinit QX56 around Beverly Hills or Irvine, or Las Vegas. I read recently some staggering fact that its something like 98% of 4x4 are never used in 4 wheel drive mode in the United States. Americans need to get out of the "bigger is better" mentality.
The "space" excuse was just an example, but the whole point of my post was that people not complaining because it is expensive. They're complaining because it BECAME expensive all of the sudden.

For instance, if a bag of chips cost $10 from the beginning of time, and it stayed $10, i don't think many people will argue anything. However, if the bag of chips was originally $1 and now the producer decides to make it $10 a bag, i think you'll start to hear some noices.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #21
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
For anyone that says a SUV is a must I have this to say to you .... your Chevy Taho can be eaily replaced with a Mini van (if you need to haul people around) or a Wagon (that can actually look good like a A4 Avant or A6 Avant) or a cross over suv such as the Nissan Murano that gets the same gas milage as our 335i.

Sorry had to rant

The thing is, the Chevy Tahoe/Escalade can even be replaced by something even smaller than a minivan/mini SUV...half of the times I see these huge monster SUV's driving on the road, there is always ONE person (being the driver themselves) driving it...

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #22
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
The thing is, the Chevy Tahoe/Escalade can even be replaced by something even smaller than a minivan/mini SUV...half of the times I see these huge monster SUV's driving on the road, there is always ONE person (being the driver themselves) driving it...
So someone who has an occasional need for an SUV should buy a second car for the other times?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0