E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > My friend is about to make a bad decision

05-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

My friend is about to make a bad decision

My best friend is currently in the USMC, he has completed 1 year and has 4 more to go. His "girlfriend" and him have been on/off for a couple of years now, and now he's thinking about getting engaged to her when he comes home in June. He's 20 and she's 18

Myself, as well as my other friends are concerned about this situation because she is a psycho controlling bitch and I don't think he should commit to something this drastic. For instance, if she doesn't like one of his friends, she will find a way to make them not friends anymore just so she's happy. Yeah... can you say evil bitch?! She also smokes A LOT of weed, which I think my friend doesn't need to be around that shit.

I think he is emotionally insecure and is just taking this huge step so he has some type of closure since he is 1000+ miles away from his g/f (San Diego).

What should I say to him? How would you word things in a way that wouldn't offend him if you were me?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzporter View Post
My best friend is currently in the USMC, he has completed 1 year and has 4 more to go. His "girlfriend" and him have been on/off for a couple of years now, and now he's thinking about getting engaged to her when he comes home in June. He's 20 and she's 18

Myself, as well as my other friends are concerned about this situation because she is a psycho controlling bitch and I don't think he should commit to something this drastic. For instance, if she doesn't like one of his friends, she will find a way to make them not friends anymore just so she's happy. Yeah... can you say evil bitch?! She also smokes A LOT of weed, which I think my friend doesn't need to be around that shit.

I think he is emotionally insecure and is just taking this huge step so he has some type of closure since he is 1000+ miles away from his g/f (San Diego).

What should I say to him? How would you word things in a way that wouldn't offend him if you were me?
Fuck That Shit.
What you need to do is tell him how it is regardless of hurting his feelings. Tell him everything, and don't skimp on the details even though it might make him mad. Thats what a true friend would do.

Tell him he's going to fuck up his life, committing to some girl that he hardly ever see's and is going to be stuck with for the rest of his life unless she takes him for what he's worth. She's just going to spend all of the money he sends back over, and leave him left with nothing when he returns.. -___-
Tell him to invest in himself, and his future. Fuck her.

It sounds like hes getting married just for the sake of being married, which never turns out well.

-Nathan
      05-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Etnies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Bad decision on all kinds of levels. Hopefully she'll say no if he asks her.
Tell him to wake up.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Tell you're friend to quit being a little bitch and stand up for himself. He's a fucking marine? Sounds like a pussy to me. No offense meant to you.

Some guys are dumbasses like that. They actually like women who run their lives. He sounds like one of them.

My friends sister is involved in a similar situation now. They got married probably a year ago, or less. He's in the military and stationed in Italy. She moved there, now they're divorced and there's a baby involved now. Against the advice from her brother (my friend), parents, friends, etc to not get married and that he was an ass, she didn't listen. She had to learn the hard way.

Sounds like your friend will learn the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

If you tell him how you feel, and they end up getting married, you're screwed for the 4-5 years that they're married.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

yeah i suggest you and your friends and anyone who knows of the situation should go speak your mind to him

don't want him ending up having a nasty divorce
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
it seems like what he feels isn't really love. rather, insecurity and jealousy. "if she has the ring on, no one will touch her" will really not work here.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

Tell him how you feel about it, but support him with whatever decision he makes. It's his choice and whether or not it's the right decision, it's his life to live.

Last edited by number335; 05-21-2008 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Everyone needs a good "starter" marriage. Get it done and out of the way quick.

Also, be supportive. A guy can only look forward to two, maybe three weddings in his life.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

it depends on how close u are to him but if he doesn't listen to u forget huim....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzporter View Post

He's going to do what he's going to do...just be ready to support him when he falls. My ex was a psycho controlling yea and I had the same decision except I shut out all my friends for a couple of years; including family. (so if you parallel the situation I would have gotten engaged I guess) The fallout sucks trust me. Tell him not to and talk to him as a friend, but if he's a Jarhead he should know what's best for him.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
b335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i

Yeah, he will do what he is going to do. I have a friend who's sister is engaged to a marine who will be deployed soon. She is 19. Funny she is engaged, but still hitting up some of our other friends for some 'fun' and to 'hang out' haha..Yet she attempts to be serious about getting married. Get the point?

Getting married young FTL
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by b335i View Post
Yeah, he will do what he is going to do. I have a friend who's sister is engaged to a marine who will be deployed soon. She is 19. Funny she is engaged, but still hitting up some of our other friends for some 'fun' and to 'hang out' haha..Yet she attempts to be serious about getting married. Get the point?

Getting married young FTL

Exactly my point. It will only be so long before one of them cheats due to long distance distress.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #14
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94' corolla

lol....shes 18?....within 6 months shes already sleeping with someone else...obvious what he needs to do
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Bah, Just have sex with her before your Buddy comes back, then apologize to him and boom... She's out, you saved him from making a mistake and the two of you are just a few beers away from resolution.

Just make certain you're bad enough to handle a pissed off Marine if he takes it hard...
      05-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Bah, Just have sex with her before your Buddy comes back, then apologize to him and boom... She's out, you saved him from making a mistake and the two of you are just a few beers away from resolution.

Just make certain you're bad enough to handle a pissed off Marine if he takes it hard...

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #17
richeerich03
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Sounds like a typical military couple. I used to see that shit all the time. Nothing you do or say will make him change his mind. He is young, let him learn from his mistakes..
      05-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #18
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeerich03 View Post
Sounds like a typical military couple. I used to see that shit all the time. Nothing you do or say will make him change his mind. He is young, let him learn from his mistakes..
So freaking true.... Watched so so many young airmen and soldiers get sprung, then get divorced after 3-4 horrible years... Oh the drama and agony...
      05-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #19
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
I seen a guys get married after only knowing the person for 2 weeks. A guy that got married to his Myspace sweetheart while he was in iraq. A guy who knew the girl couldn't keep her legs closed, yet married her because he thought he could change her. On and on. There's nothing you can do, but hey atleast within a year you'll both have something to laugh about.
      05-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #20
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

let him know there are bigger fish out there!

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0