E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How much savings should I have at this point in life?

02-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #45
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Yes it's true that nothing is guaranteed in life and I don't think any of us is denying that. However, it's sometimes good to have ambition/goals. Some of us will hit those and others won't. If you think about all the people that have made it (google guys, michael dell, bill gates, etc.), I'm sure they all had ambition/goals/dreams that they wanted to follow. The last time I checked they're pretty successful.

Sometimes I tell people things that I wanna do and some of them would tell me that I'm too ambitious. Well if I wasn't I'm not gonna go anywhere in life. Hell anyone that wants to make it big has got to day dream sometimes. Let me put it this way: if a person was to go through life with the thought of "oh I'm never gonna make that much money ever so I'm gonna try and be realistic", how often do you think they will succeed? If Martin Luther King had come out and said "well I had a dream but it's too ambitious and I might have been day dreaming so I'm not gonna talk about it", the world would have been a completely different place.
Correct but day dreams have a place. Don't get me wrong it's good to dream big but equally good to be realistic.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #46
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
i never said you weren't successful, i said AS successful as you wanted to be...calm down there, you're a real tough guy. and you don't know me either so why do you feel the need to tell me to stop day dreaming about millions....
I'm not telling you to stop. I'm giving you reason to be realistic as well.

You say you wanna be a surgeon. There are a lot of variables as to why you could never make it as well as just as many and why you would. You have to think of both.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #47
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Correct but day dreams have a place. Don't get me wrong it's good to dream big but equally good to be realistic.
Definitely. I mean a million by 40 isn't that out of reach. It's still attainable. Now if the OP was to say that he wants $5-10 millions saved up by 40, then I would have said "yeah good luck with that buddy/."
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #48
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
yeah, i think it all depends on where you grew up and the types of people you grew up with.

So whether or not you'll make millions depends on where you grew up and who you grew up with? Sure, like having wealthy parents to bank roll some business venture for you to play with then take all of the credit for. You're starting life with tremendous advantages and basically thumbing your nose at those who have legitimately made something of themselves with nothing more than their own motivation. Telling someone who hit hard times that they should have worked harder or chosen a different field really proves your naivete. I have much more respect for someone who achieved making $100k+ in their 20's on their own than a 30yr old millionaire who started on 3rd base but thinks he hit a triple. There's a big difference between reality and your reality.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #49
im spencer
Back in the f80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Dark335 wtf is your problem? People just want you to be realistic in your aspirations (Not saying that you cant achieve them) yet you go forth with the pompous shithead comments. You must be a parachute baby, any competent parents would not instill such values that you seem to represent so blindly. Karma dude.... you're gonna eat it one day and who are you gonna cry to??

Last edited by im spencer; 02-23-2010 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #50
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Take it from us 'older' guys, we all had delusions of grander back in the day. The one thing none of us factored into the equation was LIFE. It has a way of completely derailing your teenage plans.

Good luck to you but loose the rose coloured glasses and check the attitude at the door or they will be your downfall.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #51
Derek Zoolander
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M-Sport

Guys... he's just a kid talking out of his ass. Not worth your time.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #52
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Take it from us 'older' guys, we all had delusions of grander back in the day. The one thing none of us factored into the equation was LIFE. It has a way of completely derailing your teenage plans.

Good luck to you but loose the rose coloured glasses and check the attitude at the door or they will be your downfall.
"You don't know me you dumb fvck!!! It all depends how much money you want to make!! Just because you failed at life doesn't mean I will you asshole!!!"

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #53
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
"You don't know me you dumb fvck!!! It all depends how much money you want to make!! Just because you failed at life doesn't mean I will you asshole!!!"
Well you have accomplished being an internet tough guy that for sure. Do us all a favour and check back in 15 years when you have made your millions. Your childish antics are getting boring.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #54
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Well you have accomplished being an internet tough guy that for sure. Do us all a favour and check back in 15 years when you have made your millions. Your childish antics are getting boring.
I hope you sensed my sarcasm... I even put it in quotes.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #55
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I hope you sensed my sarcasm... I even put it in quotes.
Damn..I did not. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #56
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, this post is exactly why this website isn't worth visiting as much anymore. The amount 18 year old owners has risen considerably.
      02-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #57
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Holy shit guys, read back at my prior posts in this thread, specifically #55 and #56.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #58
Trauma Junkie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
sorry you weren't succesful so you don't think others can be. i have friends who were millionares before they were 18 and i know plenty of people who are millionaires that are younger than 30. nice job judging someone you don't even know. maybe if you you won't look like a jacka$$.

if anything, i'll be doing the hiring and the $1 mill+ can be in assets (properties, businesses, w.e)
It appears money is your main goal rather the career/skills.

I think you will have a reality check in your near future, this from someone in the field.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #59
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Gents...I believe Mark Twain said it the best....

“Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you believe that you too can become great.”

There are some very good points made in this thread. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming big. While one must always be realistic, you must never ever lose sight of your hopes and dreams; be realistic in setting up attainable goals that will one day lead you to your dream whether its $1 million by 40 or $50 million by 40.

I want to be very succesful one day, and whole-heartedly feel I am well on my way (i'm 25). I know that no matter what, some how, some way, I will achieve my goals in life. Who knows if I'll be in the same field in 10 years, I can't be for certain, but I know, regardless of my field, I will make it happen. That is the attitude I take with me everyday, and that is that attitude that will lead me to success.

My dad said it the best to me once when I was a bit down........read the quote in my signature......
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #60
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Just depends on your planned future life. I got burned and lost 1/2 my savings in the recent crashes (because I played aggressive while I was young and didn't correct as life changed) Now I've moved to a much shorter home loan so that I will have it paid off just as my youngest son reaches college age, and I reach eligibility for retirement. At the youngest, I'll be able to take ~49% of my income for not working. If the kid does well and gets some scholarship for brains or sports, I'll only need to MAYBE work to 60 to retire and have the same lifestyle I've grown accostmed to. Maybe I won't have sprts cars that rival the stars, but I will have spent QUALITY time with my kid as his coach without killing myself to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #61
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1995 View Post
Yes referring to retirement fund. I'd been thinking that maybe you need 25x salary to retire at 60 or whatever; so maybe I should be at 10x salary in retirement now or something like that?
Your retirement fund will start out slow and ramp up over time. Definitely think about it early and get an early start but most shouldn't expect to be nearly halfway there 10-15 years into a 35-40 year career.

Also keep in mind that the situation will vary wildly depending on what you do (are you in a career that starts high and plateaus or are you in one that starts low and ramps up), when you started working (did you finish school young or did you stay in college for 10 years getting a PhD/MD/etc), what expenses you have (lots of college loans?) and countless other variables.

Last edited by lib; 02-23-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #62
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Junkie View Post
It appears money is your main goal rather the career/skills.

I think you will have a reality check in your near future, this from someone in the field.
Ouch
      02-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #63
Laser McCool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

LOL @ you guys fighting with this little kid... he is 17 or 18.. he's clearly making up for the fact that he has no social life in REAL LIFE, by coming on the internet making these crazy claims. WHO CARES.. maybe he is loaded, maybe he is a loser, maybe he is both..More than likely its the 2nd choice.. HOWEVER.. he is 18..remember when you were 18... we all had outlandish ideas and we all acted like pricks.. just ignore him. you all look incredibly stupid right now
      02-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #64
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Seriously, people....regardless of reality, its the internet and we are all millionaires.
      02-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #65
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I've been working for almost three years and have about 12K in liquid savings... 10K of that is in a CD (so I don't spend it on stupid things like modifications). I have another 25K in 401(K). Made 20% last year, but this year's kinda slow. I make between 50-60K a year and live at home. Dangled in stocks but was too lazy to keep track of them; maybe lost 500 bucks (including expenses). Plan to open a mutual fund soon.

I would have more if I didn't spend money on cars... about 14K dropped on a 350Z and 4K on my current car. This doesn't include car payments obviously...
      02-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #66
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
I've been working for almost three years and have about 12K in liquid savings... 10K of that is in a CD (so I don't spend it on stupid things like modifications). I have another 25K in 401(K). Made 20% last year, but this year's kinda slow. I make between 50-60K a year and live at home. Dangled in stocks but was too lazy to keep track of them; maybe lost 500 bucks (including expenses). Plan to open a mutual fund soon.

I would have more if I didn't spend money on cars... about 14K dropped on a 350Z and 4K on my current car. This doesn't include car payments obviously...
We would all be millionaires if we lived at home.
Appreciate 0