E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Phone on a plane - No POTD!

View Poll Results: When on a plane, what do you do with your phone?
Turn it off 26 31.71%
Put it into airplane mode 43 52.44%
Take my chances 13 15.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

01-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #45
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
[...] so lets just have a beer and call it even.
Deal. I got the first round!

You mentioned Air India... ummm, no thanks. lol Fool me once...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #46
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

And don't be so defensive. The fact that you notice that all of this stuff is going on around you ONLY proves that you are just as OCD about passenger behavior as I am (maybe even more so), so lets just have a beer and call it even.
Really bizarre that our experiences differ so much, given that we both travel so much. I used to be a consultant, so I flew once a week w/in the US. I've never noticed any of these things within the States, at least not with any frequency.

Btw, I didn't intend to come across as defensive, so apologies for that. The passenger behavior/crazy airplane stuff doesn't bother me at all - the only time I ever freaked out was landing on that dirt runway. Flying in general is really boring, so you tend to remember these little things more often than not.

Anyway, I think we can agree to disagree - and the plus side is that we have some great stories from traveling, right? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #47
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
The passenger behavior/crazy airplane stuff doesn't bother me at all - the only time I ever freaked out was landing on that dirt runway.
Yeah, I've managed to avoid dirt runways. So far... LOL.

Are you sure you aren't an arms dealer? All I can think of when you say dirt runway is that scene from Lord of War where he lands on the dirt runway and the plane gets stripped... LOL.

*edit*

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #48
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
On the few flights I've taken in China the passengers were totally fine...I've had many more rude experiences within the US (probably due to the fact that I've flown a lot more here)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #49
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

I fly to Europe 3-4 times a year and I WILL not fly an American airline if at all possible. The old, bitchy flightstaff have a junior KGB attitude now. Not to mention the 4th amendment violations now. Cancelled flight this month due to fedgov tyranny.

I'm really starting to question when enough is enough. "we used to roar like lions for liberty. Now we bleat like sheep for security."

My liberty will remain intact.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #50
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
I fly to Europe 3-4 times a year and I WILL not fly an American airline if at all possible. The old, bitchy flightstaff have a junior KGB attitude now. Not to mention the 4th amendment violations now. Cancelled flight this month due to fedgov tyranny.

I'm really starting to question when enough is enough. "we used to roar like lions for liberty. Now we bleat like sheep for security."

My liberty will remain intact.
Is this the part where you hand me a petition to sign?

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #51
iseegreen
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I doubt a phone call or text is going to bring down a jet but I think I asked a flight attendant once and it was to avoid people dropping them, hitting other people, etc during take off and landing in case of turbulence and the most effective way of ensuring that is to have them off so people don't get tempted to use it during. This is just what I was told, could have been a lie.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #52
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Yeah, I've managed to avoid dirt runways. So far... LOL.

Are you sure you aren't an arms dealer? All I can think of when you say dirt runway is that scene from Lord of War where he lands on the dirt runway and the plane gets stripped... LOL.

*edit*

LOL! The runway wasn't too dissimilar to that (it was in Australia though).

Love that movie, btw. Probably the best movie Nicholas Cage has ever done.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #53
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

So, I'm curious why you would put up with the nagging instead of just turning it off?

What made you want it on so badly?
      01-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #54
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
i've always wondered.... why no electronic devices? sometimes they care, sometimes they don't. i don't get it. if someone can conclusively tell me ipods can't interfere with anything, i can be a dick and leave my earphones on next time.
does your iPod have any RF coming from it? no.. so how the hell can it interfere?

I was once told to turn off a calculator during turbulence! like really?