E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Ikea is a joke

Closed Thread

09-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ikea is a joke

I am in the market for a futon for my living room so when people come over there is a place for them to sleep. I decided to give Ikea a chance even though I never really shop there before. They advertise their price at the showroom for $199, when I went to checkout apparently it went to $250 but I didn't catch it that very moment and swiped my card and took it home. One days later I looked at the receipt and noticed that it wasn't $199 but instead $250 so I used my van and moved everything back to Ikea. The whole thing is brand new haven't even touched it only when I was moving it in and out of my van. So I went to returns at Ikea and the first thing they said was that it cannot be returned because the packaging is opened. Apparently, I grabbed a random futon cover at the shelves and didn't look to make sure that it was absolutely shut before purchasing. There was a opening on the top but it was still brand new because it is pretty much impossible for a human to unravel the cover and stuff it back into the plastic bag in perfect condition. Argued with the guy and ended up arguing with the supervisor and they wouldn't budge. They could not give me a cash refund even though it was brand new. Finally, we came to a conclusion that he can only offer me store credit. Plan to call corporate since that is the only solution for a cash refund because I don't think I will be doing any more business with Ikea in the future.

I did a quick search on Ikea horror stories and there was endless pages of it. Their return policy is a joke and a fraud. I wish I took a picture of how ridiculous the "opened" item is.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

I didn't bother reading that (mostly because of the lack of paragraph usage) but recently I've had the urge to hide in one of their closet things, wait inside for someone to pass by, then open the door and say "Welcome to Narnia!"
      09-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I didn't bother reading that (mostly because of the lack of paragraph usage) but recently I've had the urge to hide in one of their closet things, wait inside for someone to pass by, then open the door and say "Welcome to Narnia!"
Rofl
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I bought a set of drawers from them before I went to college. I got half way through assembling it and it was missing a piece. I brought the half assembled night stand thing back to them with rest of the crap in plastic bag and they gave me a full refund.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
*Alan from Hang Over* Classic! *Alan from Hang Over*

I've bought my fair share from Ikea when I was in undergrad and never had any issue with the stuff. Sure some stuff aren't perfect fit, ie door hinges...but for the price, it was decent enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Ikea furniture is only suitable for college dorm rooms, or frat houses.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I saw these thugs freaking out once over how lightweight computers and TV have become at an IKEA
you know they use those fake PCs/Macs/TVs to decorate their "rooms" with
they said something like "man, imagine how easy it'll be to rob a place now!"
I facepalmed
      09-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #8
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

Suck it up and keep the futon. Look, sh** happens, and after all, you shoulda caught it right away at the register.

If you like the futon, use it and enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:42 AM   #9
335JB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E92

so youre upset at your own neglect?

OEM Front Lip | Seibon CF Trunk | CF Kidney Grills | Painted Reflectors | GP Thunder Angels | ACS Roof Spoiler | Rear Fogs
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

You drove all the way back to Ikea and fought with numerous people over something you failed to notice? Then once you didn't succeed with returning it you had to drive all the way back home and unload the futon and now are going to spend a bunch of time writing them a letter to complain?

For $50?

Damn.

Not condoning spending wildly, but when I shop there is a "utility" factor involved. I'm not going to drive 20 extra miles to a discount grocery store to save $10 on produce. It just doesn't make fiscal sense.

You spent 20 minutes loading up the futon, then drove to ikea (guessing another 30), then fought with people (guessing another 20-30), then drove back home (another 30), unloaded the futon (another 20-30), posted on e90post (10 minutes) and now are writing them a letter (an hour).

So, 3 hours, 35 minutes in an attempt to get you $50 back? Wow, what a colossal waste of time.
Appreciate 3
Alfisti6571.00
      09-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I have no problem with IKEA, everytime I go and return my stuff it was seamless transaction.
One time I bought a display stand and thought there were missing pieces which was not listed on the first page "bill of materials". Then I went over and ask them, they just opened another package and handed me the missing pieces.

With the business they do around the world, there will definitely cases of dissatisfied customers.
      09-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Btw, love my folding back seat.

saw an indian couple trying to fit all their packed furnitures and carpets/rugs into their honda civic without folding back seat....they were struggling when I arrived, then they were still there attempting to fit when i already returned my item and picked up some new ones....
      09-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I buy sparingly there but a couple times i had an issue they resolved it real smoothly. I bought this very nice tv cabinet thing, great price, and saw a small imperfection ( i mean really small but i wanted it to be perfect), they then opened another new one let me check it out and let me take it, then they handed me some other spare pieces just in case...

We are actually pretty lucky about return policies in the U.S. as we can pretty much return anything except software etc., i have been told in other countries they are very stingy with replacing, refund, etc. and will tell you to go pound sand.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #14
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
You drove all the way back to Ikea and fought with numerous people over something you failed to notice? Then once you didn't succeed with returning it you had to drive all the way back home and unload the futon and now are going to spend a bunch of time writing them a letter to complain?
Failed to notice? I didn't know that it is my fault that a plastic bag isn't completely taped down now. I could of easily went home and used some packaging tape and taped it back and they wouldn't have known. But that would be a complete waste of time to find another Ikea in the area.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't even waste my time writing letters. Who still writes letter in this era?

Quote:
For $50?

Damn.
Or maybe because I don't want it anymore also? So that makes it $250 + 9.5% tax to be exact.

Quote:
Not condoning spending wildly, but when I shop there is a "utility" factor involved. I'm not going to drive 20 extra miles to a discount grocery store to save $10 on produce. It just doesn't make fiscal sense.
I had to drop by walmart to pick up a TV stand anyways. Even IF I didn't need to go to walmart, I would still bring my item back for a price adjustment.

Quote:
You spent 20 minutes loading up the futon, then drove to ikea (guessing another 30), then fought with people (guessing another 20-30), then drove back home (another 30), unloaded the futon (another 20-30), posted on e90post (10 minutes) and now are writing them a letter (an hour).

So, 3 hours, 35 minutes in an attempt to get you $50 back? Wow, what a colossal waste of time.
20 minutes to load a futon? Even a grandpa can do it in 5 minutes. You make it seem like this is a 500 pound item.

It took about 5 minutes to load up the futon.
Drove to Ikea 15 minutes away.
Argued with them 10 minutes.
Drove to Walmart 5 minutes.
Unloading futon 2 minutes.
Posting on E90post 5 minutes
Calling Corporate 10 minutes and agreed for a credit back to my credit card.

So about less than an hour for a $250 transaction. Not a waste of time in my book. Only IF you can do calculation correctly.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

ikea suck. stuff is very cheap looking and not that cheap either.

service is great though. have zero problem when i goes there
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Ikea reminds me of fight club...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread