E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > scary as hell

09-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #67
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Shit does happen and when those lights go out, someone is up there immediately changing it. That is why those guys get the big bucks

As you hear in the video OHSA allows them to free climb with out a harness under certain circumstances. You know what those circumstances are? that a plane can hit one of those things and kill more than the guy climbing. The climber's life is less important than plane full of people and if a harness is going to slow him down he does not need it.

There are a small group of people who do this and other very dangerous things like underwater welling and salvage, skyscraper iron workers and the such and these people make big 6 figure incomes. All they need to do is risk their lives for a few hours every so often and they get to go home not worry about bullshit office politics, and they tell everyone to f themselves and they enjoy life and thank god they did not die that day and roll around in all the money they have.
That sounds like the life right there. Balls of steel = sweet living.
      09-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #68
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
He did that to change a light bulb, Some day they will replace all the lights with LEDs and they will put guys out of jobs or their paychecks will be deeply cut.
Quote:
Shit does happen and when those lights go out, someone is up there immediately changing it. That is why those guys get the big bucks

As you hear in the video OHSA allows them to free climb with out a harness under certain circumstances. You know what those circumstances are? that a plane can hit one of those things and kill more than the guy climbing. The climber's life is less important than plane full of people and if a harness is going to slow him down he does not need it.

There are a small group of people who do this and other very dangerous things like underwater welling and salvage, skyscraper iron workers and the such and these people make big 6 figure incomes. All they need to do is risk their lives for a few hours every so often and they get to go home not worry about bullshit office politics, and they tell everyone to f themselves and they enjoy life and thank god they did not die that day and roll around in all the money they have.
First you said replacing the strobe light with LED those guys will out of job. Then you justify their existence because there's always high-risk jobs like these for them to risk their life and earning 6 figures.

Anyways, I agree with your opinion and highly respect those guys with balls of steel to climb up there. Not just the free climbing, there are a few tricky transition spots that there are no ladders and handrails for them to grab on.
      09-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #69
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
First you said replacing the strobe light with LED those guys will out of job. Then you justify their existence because there's always high-risk jobs like these for them to risk their life and earning 6 figures.
I think he meant as the standard incandescent bulbs start to burn out and be replaced with LED bulbs the amount of work for these guys will drastically decrease since LED's last many times longer than regular bulbs.
      09-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #70
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
That sounds like the life right there. Balls of steel = sweet living.
If that's what it takes to have balls of steel, then I'm happy with my balls of Jello.

Hell no, I wouldn't do that shit. My palms are drenched right now. Fucking scary shit.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #71
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
I think he meant as the standard incandescent bulbs start to burn out and be replaced with LED bulbs the amount of work for these guys will drastically decrease since LED's last many times longer than regular bulbs.
exactly.... the only reason they are going up there is the risk that far worse will happen if the lights go out. If they can guarantee that LED will last 10 to 20 yrs verse 2 to 5 you know they will jump at that.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #72
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

One more.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #73
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider23 View Post
If that's what it takes to have balls of steel, then I'm happy with my balls of Jello.

Hell no, I wouldn't do that shit. My palms are drenched right now. Fucking scary shit.

Yep, I am trying to imagine what goes through these guys minds standing 1700 ft above the ground on a 6 in piece of steel and nothing holding you there. Come on what happens when the wind blows.

I have rock climbed in my day and have been a few hundred feet off the ground and the only things that made me tough was the rope holding my ass to the rock face.

The first time I rock climbed, I got up about 75 ft of the ground and began to panic, my instructor saw it and told me to fall off... Think about that, you on the side of cliff hold on for dear life and some guys it telling to let go.... Needless to say a few choice words came out and I told him what he could do.

Well after being frozen to the cliff for 10 minutes i left go, fell 10 ft and rope caught and I was oh shit it held and was never scared after it.

There guys do not have that option
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #74
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider23 View Post
One more.

My balls literally felt cold for a sec and maybe shriveled up when the shot looked straight down.
      09-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #75
FIRESTARTER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

My ball starts to shrink just waching this vid.
Appreciate 0